Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum for a few weeks now and thought I’d sign up.

We are in the early stages of bringing a miniature poodle puppy home. We are currently talking to a couple of breeders and getting to know them etc. However, mating is yet to have happened so will likely be closer to the end of the year before we actually get to meet a puppy (unless were lucky).

We have (since before covid) wanted a puppy but with the current climate and prices etc. we held off.

We have no preference on sex, or colour really and more concerned about getting a puppy from a reputable breeder and its temperament.

We are a family of three with a 3 y/o daughter and feel it's a good time to get a dog to teach our daughter how to respect and act around dogs.

We have had dogs before (all rescue) but never a puppy.

Looking forward to reading some of your posts :)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Welcome! If you haven't stumbled across a reference to Ian Dunbar yet, I would highly recommend getting a copy of Before and After You Get Your Puppy. He has lots of useful advice on selecting a breeder and getting puppies accustomed to small children.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and your family!

Looking forward to hearing about your poodle journey :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! Sounds like you’re on the right track. :)

What made you choose a poodle this time around?
Thank you.

I’m not sure how we landed at Miniature Poodle really, it was more of a process of elimination.

We felt that if we were spending a lot of money we wanted a pure breed, nothing against cross breeds at all but they are so over priced. We wanted something low shedding/none shedding, we also wanted a breed that was robust that enjoyed walking but also enjoyed being in the house and of course good with children. It was between a miniature poodle and a miniature schnauzer.

The other reason for a pure breed was that we could contact the breed clubs for guidance whereas a lot of cross breeds of course don’t have that.

The reason we chose a miniature rather than a toy is because we wanted something a little bigger but wasn’t quite ready for something really big. Plus we like how intelligent poodles are.

We also found out recently that my great grandfather used to love them which kind of sealed the deal for me strangely.

Got to be honest I’m not a massive fan of the traditional Pom Pom cut of a poodle however I think that’s the good thing about poodles you can change their style often.

We are quite worried about ending up with a dog from a puppy farm which is why we’re taking our time to get to know breeders and do it properly to make sure it feels right.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Thank you.

I’m not sure how we landed at Miniature Poodle really, it was more of a process of elimination.

We felt that if we were spending a lot of money we wanted a pure breed, nothing against cross breeds at all but they are so over priced. We wanted something low shedding/none shedding, we also wanted a breed that was robust that enjoyed walking but also enjoyed being in the house and of course good with children. It was between a miniature poodle and a miniature schnauzer.

The other reason for a pure breed was that we could contact the breed clubs for guidance whereas a lot of cross breeds of course don’t have that.

The reason we chose a miniature rather than a toy is because we wanted something a little bigger but wasn’t quite ready for something really big. Plus we like how intelligent poodles are.

We also found out recently that my great grandfather used to love them which kind of sealed the deal for me strangely.

Got to be honest I’m not a massive fan of the traditional Pom Pom cut of a poodle however I think that’s the good thing about poodles you can change their style often.

We are quite worried about ending up with a dog from a puppy farm which is why we’re taking our time to get to know breeders and do it properly to make sure it feels right.
It sounds like you are approaching your choice very sensibly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts