Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone and their poodles!

I’ve asked loads of questions of the internet about poodles and most meaningful responses have come from this forum so I’ve decided to finally join!

My real name is Ali and I have two standard poodles: a 3yr old red male named Texas, and a 16 month old blue female named Bettie Mae. We also have a 13 yr old Burmese cat named Oscar that puts up with the poodles with grace and still loves us even though we brought them into his home.

I was previously only a cat person and didn’t care much for dogs until my friend got an adult spoo. I fell in love with her dog and thus began my love affair with poodles of all varieties. I’m looney for poodles, absolutely looney. I personally believe that they are the best dog breed in the whole dog world and honestly why would anyone want any other breed? Kidding. Sorta. I once heard someone say that they don’t like dogs, they like poodles. I actually do like other breeds, but poodles are my favorite by a large margin.

I also groom my poodles myself, so I always have loads of grooming questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! It's been several years since I visited the Poodle Forum. Retro Chick, your dogs are very beautiful. I woud like someone to help me with my query: My standard is a 4-year-old female, and my current dilemma is, what is happening to her beautiful black coat? There are many little gray looking hairs throughout, and her face is also becoming quite gray. Is that the "blue" that people talk about? Thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hello! It's been several years since I visited the Poodle Forum. Retro Chick, your dogs are very beautiful. I woud like someone to help me with my query: My standard is a 4-year-old female, and my current dilemma is, what is happening to her beautiful black coat? There are many little gray looking hairs throughout, and her face is also becoming quite gray. Is that the "blue" that people talk about? Thanks
Many black poodles do "gray out" as they get older. Depending upon how uniform the color is and how "blue" it is, they are either described as "blue" or "bad black".

There are not many poodles these days that have an really black coat. It takes careful breeding to achieve that. Even if you have a pedigree that lists the dogs' colors, you need to realize that many, many dogs registered as black are actually blue because registration is usually done when the puppy is young and it's final color is not apparent.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
161 Posts
Hello Ali I'm Ali, lol! I am also an ex-cat only person. Have had 3 cats throughout my life but now just my 14 year old is left and recently he's had to accept a poodle puppy (11 week black/possible blue). I look forward to seeing your responses, especially any insight you may have into poodle/cat interactions.

By the way, your dogs are beautiful!!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Welcome to you and your two cuties.

Reactions: Retro Chick

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Welcome Ali to you and your beautiful pups. Seems that the blues take a little longer to clear, up to 3 years or so. I have what is termed a bad black. His color includes some white hairs on his foot and under his chin. He is not an inky black which is much preferred. But to me it doesn't matter an iota what you call his color - he is my service dog and is always looking out for me when I struggle with my crazy ups and downs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome Ali to you and your beautiful pups. Seems that the blues take a little longer to clear, up to 3 years or so. I have what is termed a bad black. His color includes some white hairs on his foot and under his chin. He is not an inky black which is much preferred. But to me it doesn't matter an iota what you call his color - he is my service dog and is always looking out for me when I struggle with my crazy ups and downs.
Wow, the similarities are crazy. Mine has a few white hairs under his chin, and a few at the bottom between his foot pads. He is pretty black but still young, so he may end up a bad black. Or he may end up blue, as his sire was blue.

I agree that the color doesn't matter. I am glad yours is there for you and what you need. I hope mine develops into the companion I'm looking for as he grows as well. Will love him regardless of color.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to you and your poodles, @Retro Chick! I think poodles do have some catlike qualities, though I've not had a cat in over 20 years. Have you found any similarities?
I read somewhere that poodles are the cat like dogs... yes I do think there are some similarities. They need to cuddle on the couch with me and always get in the way haha. My female Bettie is more cat like, she is more Independent and less interested in people than my male Tex.

Ironically, Burmese cats are known to be very dog like— ours loves people and must meet all guests and he always comes when called by name.

So funny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Ali I'm Ali, lol! I am also an ex-cat only person. Have had 3 cats throughout my life but now just my 14 year old is left and recently he's had to accept a poodle puppy (11 week black/possible blue). I look forward to seeing your responses, especially any insight you may have into poodle/cat interactions.

By the way, your dogs are beautiful!!
Thank you! I don’t think I’ve ever met another Ali spelled the same, it’s nice to have company!

I wish I did have some insight for you— it’s been a bit of a struggle. My boy has a strong prey drive but my girl couldn’t care less about the cat. I heard that if you can somehow let the cat show the puppy that it is boss the dog will fall in line. We tried, but our cat is not very bossy. He has always just been super sweet. Occasionally, Tex (my male dog) will get obsessed with the cat and I have to restrict his house freedom. It’s annoying, but it works. I hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you! I don’t think I’ve ever met another Ali spelled the same, it’s nice to have company!

I wish I did have some insight for you— it’s been a bit of a struggle. My boy has a strong prey drive but my girl couldn’t care less about the cat. I heard that if you can somehow let the cat show the puppy that it is boss the dog will fall in line. We tried, but our cat is not very bossy. He has always just been super sweet. Occasionally, Tex (my male dog) will get obsessed with the cat and I have to restrict his house freedom. It’s annoying, but it works. I hope you have better luck!
So far Fenris thinks the cat is the most boring thing ever. My cat is cautious and freezes when he feels in danger so when the pup's attention is on him, he is still like a statue. Usually that means that Fenris just looks at him for a few seconds, then moves on to something more interesting. But I'm worried that one day Sushi will dart and Fenris will chase. Is that fear unfounded? At this point there are zero non supervised interactions and interactions can be summed up to stares at each other across like 8 feet of a room.

And Ali is just the first 3 letters of my name. Generally, I go by the full name IRL and Ali online. But that's why the spelling. Though in online gaming circles I get mistaken for a Muslim man a lot, haha.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I have two Standards and a cat, too. Oh, and the Jack Russell that was my daughter's. Everyone gets along, except lately the old male is a jerk. He likes to sneak up on the other dogs and grab their hocks. Fortunately he is slow and they usually stay out of his reach. Poinsettia.pets.005.jpg Poinsettia.pets.030.jpg practice.quads.055.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
No, that's a valid concern. Prey drive is often triggered by sudden or erratic movements. Does Sushi have a clear escape route?
Sushi has his own room and only comes out sometimes, cautiously. He has an escape route to his room from most places. I'm looking to where maybe I could add a cat tree to give him more height. I'm not worried about anytime soon since Fenris is always watched and contained somehow. If I let him out in the living room, the hallway is blocked by a gate. I'm more worried about the future when Sushi becomes braver and I start trusting Fenris more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far Fenris thinks the cat is the most boring thing ever. My cat is cautious and freezes when he feels in danger so when the pup's attention is on him, he is still like a statue. Usually that means that Fenris just looks at him for a few seconds, then moves on to something more interesting. But I'm worried that one day Sushi will dart and Fenris will chase. Is that fear unfounded? At this point there are zero non supervised interactions and interactions can be summed up to stares at each other across like 8 feet of a room.

And Ali is just the first 3 letters of my name. Generally, I go by the full name IRL and Ali online. But that's why the spelling. Though in online gaming circles I get mistaken for a Muslim man a lot, haha.
Haha! I’ve considered changing the spelling for that reason too.

No I don’t think your concerns are unfounded, it’s so hard to predict what will happen! And the running activates the prey drive. I know there’s a technique hunters use to desensitize the prey drive for certain animals in order to focus on the ones being hunted, maybe you can look into that? I keep thinking I should do it too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I am not a cat person in the least, they don't like me, but I just got my boy yesterday and the breeder has his mom and two more standard poodles, and 5 cats (they live on a ranch). I'm assuming they get along, so there's hope!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts