Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have been reading along for a bit in preparation before bringing our pup home a month ago, but thought it was a good time to go ahead and introduce us!

I have attached a picture of our pup Loki. He will be 14 weeks tomorrow and is currently 24lbs and 18 inches. We have a feeling, based on looking at some previous posts and the charts, that he will be a large boy. His mom was an average sized spoo, but his dad was quite large. The breeder said 85lbs, and I'm sure that was accurate however he looked more like a mini horse, ha! (We met mom and dad when we picked him up.)

We are just absolutely in love with him, but I imagine it would be hard not to love him. While he is not always the snuggliest boy (though he is a velcro dog) , he's smart and picks up on everything rather quickly -and is so eager to please. He is much more "good boy" motivated than treat motivated, however he does love treats!

Our dear friend is the cofounder and trainer of a rather large and reputable service dog organization. While they have a facility, she also frequently has a number of different dogs in her home she is working with, placing, testing, providing respite for, etc. This has been a tremendous benefit to our family. We have been fortunate to provide respite time to a few of the dogs in training, our daughters have been blessed with the opportunity to volunteer with her, and our youngest who is 9 (going on 25) has realized training service dogs is her life's mission. I cannot begin to express my appreciation for the time my friend has dedicated to her, and her willingness to teach her everything she knows. While being around all the different dogs and breeds she decided that a black male spoo was her dream dog and the perfect addition to our family, and the perfect dog for her to learn and work on her training skills with. After a large family discussion as to how the dogs energy levels worked with us, that is how we came to the decision of bringing Loki into our home! While he will not be a service animal, we sought out a breeder who had a reputation for service animals, and let the breeder know we were looking for a boy who had those traits so that our daughter could work on her training abilities with him. I would say we got exactly what we were looking for! The breeder included my daughter in our contract signing, and really made her feel like a large part of his purchase which I greatly appreciated. Her goal is to show him in our local 4h dog show, which focuses on obedience and not breed.

Despite our daughter being his primary trainer, he is a family pet. We are excited to have him, and I'm excited to be here and grateful for the information I have already garnered from all of you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Love the bow tie - what a handsome boy. Gotta love the blacks and Loki looks like a superb inky black..Your daughter will learn a lot about training poodles with your boy and sounds like they are off to a good start.

As for training, there are tons of threads to look at that should be a big help. Our moderators are considering making a Service Dog sub-forum. I hope they can do this soon as it would be a great help for Loki, you daughter and your family and other members who are interested in Service Dogs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome! The bow tie is super cute, do you mind me asking you where you got it? And good luck to your daughter, Poodles are super fun to train!

·
Super Moderator
3,368 Posts
...As for training, there are tons of threads to look at that should be a big help. Our moderators are considering making a Service Dog sub-forum. I hope they can do this soon...
The request is in, and hopefully things have settled down from C19 in Toronto where the tech can review and implement the proposal!

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
That's an awesome story. While I never trained my boys as service dogs, they did go over to the nursing home to visit several elderly friends and relatives. Elders we didn't even know would gather round to pat the dogs and tell me stories of their own dogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! The bow tie is super cute, do you mind me asking you where you got it? And good luck to your daughter, Poodles are super fun to train!
We got it as a freebie in an Amazon toy box! They have a bulk box of these bow ties though that we will probably purchase because we have been surprisingly impressed by the quality. It is the kind that comes attached to a ribbon type collar, not the collar slide kind. We get most of his bow ties from etsy though!

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and your gorgeous spoo puppy Loki. What a wonderful opportunity you and your family have had with service dogs because of your friend. Loki is lucky that your daugther will be working with him under the guidance of your friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts