Poodle Forum banner

Hello!

980 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Asta's Mom 
#1 ·
Hello!

Thanks for having me, I’m looking forward to learning lots from everyone!

We have just welcomed a 3 year old standard into our home after his owner suddenly passed and family could not care for the dog.

“Ben” has been with us for 4 days and is settling in ok, given the upheaval his life has seen over the past few weeks. He seems a bit out of sorts but has been nothing but a gentleman. He’s starting to come out of his shell and this morning stole my sock and danced around as I was getting my shoes on to take him out. This afternoon he found his voice when the garbage truck stopped by.

For the most part he’s sleeping, on the landing of the stairs, as I’m sure he’s exhausted and more than a little stressed. So far we’ve learned that he loves head and chest rubs, chicken and car rides. Doesn’t appreciate thunder storms or golf clubs, and tolerates kibble.

It’s going to be interesting getting to know him. It’s clear that at some point he’s had some solid basic training and socializing as he pops himself into a heel position without prompting and hasn’t batted an eyeball at anything while out on the leash (dogs, people, cats) , but he doesn’t seem to know his name or any common words like walk etc.

Thanks for having us!

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome to you and Ben. He’s lucky to have found a welcoming home.

I brought my minipoo home when she was almost a year old. In my experience and you may experience this with Ben is that first few days he will be quiet and getting used to his new home. Over the next three months you will see more and more of his personality until he is completely comfortable. You are starting to see this in the changes in his behavior.

#12 ·
He sounds like he's going to be an awesome dog.

Regarding the name, did you get him directly from the family, or did he come through a rescue? It's pretty common for rescues to assign a new name. Or his last owner might have called him by a nickname. (One of my cats was 100% certain his name was Kitty and never answered to anything else. I suspect my boy Galen will answer to Puppy as well as his real name.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.