Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for adding me!
I have just adopted a 3 year old toy male from my elderly parents.
They got Rupert as an 8 week old puppy but shortly after my mum got ill and then was diagnosed with dementia. Suffice to say Rupert doesn’t have many manners, but he is well crate trained!
I have had Rupert for 2 weeks, he has settled down really well he is much less ‘full on’ but I’m not sure what to do with him. I’ve only ever had greyhounds and a British bulldog so he is an absolute ball of energy in comparison.
Added a photo after his quite severe haircut to get rid of his matted bits (grooming was not done either)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Bless you for taking in your parents' dog. I can empathize with you as I was put in a similar situation when my daughter's Jack Russell Terrier got Lyme disease, and needed to be in a warmer climate. Compared to the poodles, he is a bundle of energy. If you can, find games that stimulate your little guy mentally, in addition to physical exercise. The nice thing about small dogs is they can have a rambunctious game of fetch in a hall way. Our Jack Russell Terror gets outside time with each of our dogs individually (although he has to be watched as he can be a nipper), and that seems to help keep him "de-energized''. Now, he plays with our Sphynx , and she really gives him a run for his money. Good luck with your inherited poodle!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
Welcome! I think your early inheritance is going to bring great joy into your life. I would get a trainer or attend obedience classes. Poodles are so smart and need the rules of the road. They catch on quick, with praise, treats and cuddles. You will be the love of his long life.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Congratulations. Thank you for taking care of this dog, for your parents. The forum is a great resource so feel free to wander the subforums. As for questions, ask away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts