Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud mom of miniature poodle, Momo~ (momo as in dumpling). He is a 6 week old puppy. I've never had a puppy before so m kind of nervous. Though m not inexperienced with pets as I've adopted senior golden retriever and street cats. Puppy is a whole new experience and Momo is smart boy who already knows how to use his puppy eyes on me.

Here is Momo after his bath~

Attachments

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hello and Welcome to you and adorable Momo!

6 weeks is very young for a puppy to be separated from their family. It's likely to take extra care from you to be sure he gets proper socialization and help him learn behavior lessons that he would learn from his parent/s and littermates. I'm not trying to scare or discourage you, just letting you know there may be some additional challenges for you and Momo.

Until others drop by to say hello, check out these thread links, if you haven't already

https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/33522-buying-puppy-safely-basics.html#post395874

https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/182666-puppy-reality.html#post2076098

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
6 weeks is very young for a puppy to leave it mother, really be very careful with the baby. On my toys they were 10 to 12 weeks when I got puppies

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Confrats on your new puppy ! I agree six weeks is too young to be away from his mom. But now that it’s done, you can make sure you do everything you need to protect him and socialize him properly.

More of a challenge and not ideal, but it can be done. Maybe try to find a book about raising very young puppies. If he is very small, be cautious of hypoglycemia, which can kill a puppy really fast. You should read up on it. There are threads on this forum, just do a search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and Welcome to you and adorable Momo!

6 weeks is very young for a puppy to be separated from their family. It's likely to take extra care from you to be sure he gets proper socialization and help him learn behavior lessons that he would learn from his parent/s and littermates. I'm not trying to scare or discourage you, just letting you know there may be some additional challenges for you and Momo.

Until others drop by to say hello, check out these thread links, if you haven't already
Thankyou, I'm gonna go through it.

There is a whole story behind why he is so young and I still can't believe how some people can be so heartless and seperate pups from their mom at such a young age. I got him from "supposed" reputable breeder who lives like 3 hrs away by flight. So I contacted the breeder and exchanged videos and pictures of Momo; they told me he is about to reach 3 months and the puppy in picture looked like one. Imagine my surprise when I reach the airport and see a totally different puppy who didn't even look 30 days old. On top of that he had a lot of ticks. I dont even know how he survived 3hr journey. I was so scared that I took him to 4 vets the same day. Fortunately he only had issues with tick. For the first week he always had to be wrapped up in blanket cause he couldn't adjust to the climate and had chills. We had many visit to the vet throughout first week cause I was too worried something would happen (thankfully a good vet is just 5min drive). Now Momo has adjusted properly and is joy of my life~ I didn't return him as they would most likely send him to another home as soon as he returned without any proper care. Momo's vet is guiding me regarding his socialization skills. He has been introduced to other dogs under supervision and I plan on getting him a playmate after a month or two.

6 weeks is very young for a puppy to leave it mother, really be very careful with the baby. On my toys they were 10 to 12 weeks when I got puppies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confrats on your new puppy ! I agree six weeks is too young to be away from his mom. But now that it’s done, you can make sure you do everything you need to protect him and socialize him properly.

More of a challenge and not ideal, but it can be done. Maybe try to find a book about raising very young puppies. If he is very small, be cautious of hypoglycemia, which can kill a puppy really fast. You should read up on it. There are threads on this forum, just do a search.
Thankyou and yes 6 weeks is too young to be seperated from mom but there is nothing I can do about it now. According to vet he is not a small puppy but I'm always worried about hypoglycemia and hypothermia as he used to get chills if he is not wrapped in blanket.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Welcome to you and your young pup. Sounds like you are taking the baby. Stay vigilant. BTW I think he is adorable. Wrap him up in love.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Wow, Momo is adorable and soooooo teeeeny tiny. He's so lucky to have found a home with you because you are aware that he was removed from his mother at too young an age and have support from your vet. You'll find help here at PF too.

I would say that this breeder is not reputable and perhaps when you feel comfortable, you might name who the breeder (breeder isn't the right term - maybe greeder is more appropriate) is so others can avoid them. It's shocking that they lied to you and sent such a young puppy.

I hope you post lots of photos as Momo grows up.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Wow, They sent that lil guy by plane on a 3 hour flight? I can only imagine you shock and surprise to find such a wee one. And ticks? Oh my. Did you talk to the "breeder" after getting him home and cared for? I guess his paperwork confirmed his young age. Well frankly years and years ago I had puppies at different periods in my life that were that young too, they all did well. Now I know better but it is what it is and I am sure he will have a good life with you. He is adorable. Looking forward to watching him grow.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh wow, poor little Momo :'( His "greeder" makes me ill. I too hope you will get all the support you need to help little Momo thrive despite being taken from his mama way too early among other challenges.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
You’re going to be an exceptional poodle owner. Four vet’s in one day! Bless both your hearts! See how things go with Momo’s health and training. The only companion he needs at this stage is you:) So cute, sopping wet. Enjoy his puppyhood!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Congratulations on your new little poodle! It sounds like you are doing all you can to insure he will have a happy healthy life! Enjoy and love him! Do start a '52 weeks of' thread....... it gives you a good way to track his progress and we will be able to watch him grow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts