Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lost my dear boy, a 17-year-old red apricot toy poodle. Not coping well but I still have my 13-year-old toy apricot girl. We walk around looking for our buddy each day. ? Well, starting research on getting/training a psd small standard or moyen sized (preferrably female) poodle. Any info appreciated, need something in Northern Utah, possibly Idaho or Colorado.
Our loss is still so fresh. We won't be jumping into an impulse purchase and I am willing to be really picky. And I know that having a sd for anxiety/panic is not for everyone. I am willing to stand up for myself or have a tolerance for a certain amount of attention in public with a service dog. I need more input from those of you here who are owners or trainers of psych service dogs and any specific steps or advice you have for me.
I need a dog that will effectively accompany me into public and mitigate the paralyzing effects of panic disorders. There's a good chance that I will be housebound eventually if I don't find a suitable dog. I also need to be able to fly. Right now my husband is effectively my service dog, which we all know is unfair for many reasons.
Glad to be here where others understand how amazing poodles are and hope you are all doing well especially during the holidays.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I actually think you might do better with a male than another female since females are somewhat more likely to fight than a male and a female or often even two males. Also moyen is not a recognized size int he US so it is hard to find good ones. One of the few breeders who does produce true moyens is Karbit, but you will probably have an easier time finding a standard that might meet your needs. Standards from excellent conformation breeders aren't usually giants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you. I am purposely not trying to rule out anything for now, and I do have some concerns over personality types of male v. female especially going out in public but also bc my Ella is an elderly A-type companion. She won't be with us forever as her heart condition and age continue to advance, unfortunately, even with careful attention to diet and rx meds under vet care.
I am open to standard size dogs, just hope for a smaller one bc our yard is not huge but we live right around the corner from a nice city park. My main concerns are solid health and temperament with testing. I need a dog that will hold up for a good long stretch of working life and avoid some of the issues ppl find in dogs like my Moose who come from bybs...
Just recently heard of Moyens, but I really like the idea of a not giant standard poodle.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Look into Lacy Lane Poodles in Heber City, UT. I got my Maizie from Melanie and she would be a fabulous service dog (she is a titled therapy dog).

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
I lucked out with my Asta (male black standard, about 50 lbs.) I have bipolar disorder and he seems to know just what I need - snuggles, a walk, help with coping with other people. Not specifically trained for any of this. He is not titled as a service dog but I consider him my emotional support.

Good luck with finding the perfect pup for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts