Poodle Forum banner

Hello!

878 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mufar42 
#1 ·
Hello all,
We recently lost our wonderful dog to hemangiosarcoma, and probably won't get another dog until some time in the spring.
We are considering a standard for our next dog. I grew up with a miniature, and he was a terrific dog! We are so used to a very large breed, (Shiloh Shepherds for the last 20 years), but want to down size . . I have researched a thousand breeds (only a slight exaggeration!), but I keep coming back to poodles for us. There are some super cute, smart breeds out there, but I just keep coming back to the poodle. . .
Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to PF and sorry you lost your last dog. I can't timagine coming home to a house without a dog. We have a GSD and 2 standard poodles. I love Peeves (GSD), but he drives me crazy with some of his herding habits. He also is much more BF's boy than mine. The poodles though are smart, funny, devoted, athletic, sturdy and lots more all rolled into a curly suit, just the best in my book.

I think you will enjoy having a standard poodle. There is a lot fo great information here to help you find a great pup.

#3 ·
Welcome To PF!!!!! Poodles totally rock and I never knew that until I got my Molly! You will have a relationship with a Spoo that you never thought possible....they are just fluffy humans in a alien body!Hahaha!

Reactions: glorybeecosta
#8 ·
I can't imagine being without my black standard male poodle. He recently turned 4 and is the most wonderful, intuitive, loving dog. But he is not the working dog that my English Springer Spaniels were - naturally great at flushing and retrieving. Asta, my boy is not interested in hunting at all but is such a lovely that I forgive him not learning those skills. He is far more important as an emotional support for me.

Reactions: TFWelch
#9 ·
Well here is my thoughts, lol...I am fairly new to standard poodles, my guy will turn 1 next month. It has been a busy year for me with him just getting him to a calm state. He is the most energetic dog I have ever owned . But he is one of the best too. I have had GSD, rottweilers in the past and mini schnauzers, shih tzu, and chihuahuas. And of course our beloved boxer. Among all these the boxer has been the easiest and most gentle to train and have. My st poodle is now changing, he is becoming more loving and more cuddly . He likes to play with our boxer who really doesn't want to play with him much as he is a mouthy player, he doesn't bite down but he plays with his mouth, (not with people though). I am also older with bad knees and ankles so this may be why is has taken longer too. He was very easy to potty train, and to train in general with the exception of remaining in a calm the of mind. But that is coming now. Given a choice I would always have a st poodle and a boxer but didn't go with a boxer because of shedding and drolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.