Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hello Agilestandard, Welcome to this forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Also a great big welcome to Lola.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Hi Hi ! Welcome. Where in Alabama do you live?? I'm wondering if we've ever crossed paths as a show/trial. Maybe :) I'm in formaly lower alabama... aka northwest Fla :) in the extreme noth, perdy close to the state line in fact haha.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Hi ! Welcome. Where in Alabama do you live?? I'm wondering if we've ever crossed paths as a show/trial. Maybe :) I'm in formaly lower alabama... aka northwest Fla :) in the extreme noth, perdy close to the state line in fact haha.
I am nearish to Huntsville. I use to trial a lot with my ACD but she tore her sciatic nerve. I will begin to trial with Lola in June (fingers crossed) You do Rally and Obedience right?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I do, and huntsville isn't far from me in the grand scheme of things. Mapquest says 5 hours which if hubby is driving probably mean 4 hours LoL.

Thats correct I do Rally and Obed. and dabble in agility off and on. I used to teach an agility class and I HATED every second of it. I worked for this trainer, whom I would bet you've crossed paths with even if you haven't met her personaly if you did a lot of agility, and that was part of my job to help teach her group classes. Most misreable summer of my life ROFL, with that agility class. So I shied away from agility for the longest time and now having done Rally with quite a bit of success and trying some of the tunnles and contact ob. with my new pup I am ready to again start thinking about agility.
I havent done anything with the spoo's yet, I did all my previous titling with my tibetan spaniels... Hey maybe you know some of my tibbies?? A lady named Toni runs with several of them ALL the time and has been for the last ehhh, 7 or 8 years now. She has a black and white and a black and blonde tri color one, both from our breeding. Boo and Nike'. I haven't seen Nike' run lately but I am told by tons of people that he is really something :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen Tibetans doing some agility but i probably would not recognize the dog. I love agility and just dabble in Rally, no obedience yet. I also dabble in Feild work but it isnt lolas cup of tea sooooo...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I used to do feild work as well, again part of the job. The trainer I worked for did ALOT of field training with her own dogs as well as some client dogs, she had a pond behind her house and everything, she really had a HUGE area to "play" in and did just about everything you could imagine training wise.

I actualy live just down the street from where she used to be and have several people right here in the neighborhood who do field work with their chessies and goldens. I've talked to them a couple of times about maybe doing something with Saleen, she LOVES to swim and retrieve. I dunno if I will take them up on their offers to help with training and such and live bird intro's because I'm worried they would want to be all serious about it when really I would just be "dabbling". Baby girl is NOT a fan of the great out doors where there are only trees and bushes for restrooms (or the porta-potty a 1/2 mile that way kinda thing) and tons of bugs and gunshots.... Not really MY cup of tea LoL.

There aren't that many black tibbies out there, so if you had seen these two you would know. Most tibs are blonde sables.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do know a black tibetan terrier but alas no spaniels. Dabbling in field work is all i do partly B/c of Lola but also i am squeamish about dead birds. Feel free to drive up here and dabble with me, chessie people are WAY too serious. JK, I am curious, the trainer that you worked for, does she have a website?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
she doesn't as far as I know, she reccently closed up shop and moved north someplace. If I'm not mistaken her and her hubby wanted to focus more on their own dogs and friend's dog and wanted to kind of retire from the public training class scene. I could be wrong on that, haven't actualy spoken to her in a couple of years. I also heard she and her hubby were trying to become agility judges, not sure if they were going to judge AKC or ASCA (Is that the right abbrev....? my mind just went blank). Fyfe was the trainer's last name.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've been doinga couple of keyword searches and I cant find any photos or anything of them (i'm a visual kind of person I remember faces not names). They have been big into agility and feild trails with their goldens for years. It was in highschool when I worked for her, learned a ton but I don't subscribe to some of her ideas training wise. Just me. LoL.
I can't find much more than a few mentions of the training business they had here, no website though I would assume if they ever had a site it was taken down by now since they don't even live here anymore. ROFL, Actualy they moved shortly before hubby and I started looking for the house and we looked at their home and property. Problem was they were selling the business along with the home so they wanted waaaay more than we could afford for it. A shame, I would be in heaven with that peice of property lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Ah we go to montgomery twice a year. :) Just went ummm last month was it?? Had phyilis do photos of the poodles, which turned out ok. I didn't make it down to watch the obedience and stuff this year, I was in a rush to touch base with everyone I was supposed to meet up with, look over a possible client dog, get photos, buy a pooper scooper and head home LoL. Wasn't showing anyone this year.. Bummer that it's so far away for you to come to tallahassee, one of my all time favorite show sites!! They have an all breed with obed. rally, and agility in the spring and a few weeks before they have a trial with just rally, obed., and agility.

Do you ever go to Perry Ga? Another of my favorite sites - Awsome show IMO. I've always done well there *knock on wood* They have several shows there a year if I'm not mistaken. I've taken quite a bit of time off in the last year 1/2 since I got married. I put a rally title on my old man tibbie last spring and brought out a daughter of his in conformation this March but other than that nothing lol. Been lazy, but then I don't have anything right now. My older spoo cannot be registered and I have to wait for the vet to write a letter to state that she is spayed to get her alt reg. number. Saleen is only 5 mo old so she isn't ready for anything at all yet lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts