Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been reading the PF everyday for 2 months now and - since you all love pictures so much - I thought today might be the day for me to introduce Wellie to you all.

W is a 4 months and a half black/blue spoo. He is 54 centimeters (21 inches) at the withers and 13kg (29 pounds). I take him everywhere and he loves taking the tube!

Training is going great except that I fear he is developing a bit of separation anxiety! Whilst I am able to leave him in a room alone no problem, as soon as I leave the flat he starts barking and won’t stop until I come back (once for 2 hours straight). He won’t eat/ chew or do anything else whilst I am gone…. Do you have any advice?

W is my first dog (I am a bit of a cat lady!) and I could not be happier that I got him, he is the most loving and cuddly furball in the world.

🐩❤
Dog Water dog Carnivore Working animal Companion dog
Water Water resources Dog Plant Dog breed
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog
Plant Dog Flower Tree Carnivore

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,321 Posts
Hi and welcome to PF! Sorry Wellie is having separation anxiety issues! I have no first hand experience with this, but here's a link to an informative article about separation anxiety. What does you and your dog's average daily schedule look like?

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@94Magna_Tom thanks for your reply and for the link! I think I will contact a behaviourist asap as I appreciate habits are much easier to kick off during puppyhood. At the moment there is always someone home with him as we are taking turn to work from the office. We try to leave him for a couple of hours on weekends so that he gets used to being alone in the flat but that never works, he just barks/cries the entire time. The weird thing is that we can leave him in the living room (he sleeps alone there) and be in the study or anywhere else in the flat and that won't be an issue. He is completely fine with that - as long as we don't leave the flat he is okay. But as soon as we go near the front door, this is where he starts losing it....

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Maybe practice going out the door for only 1 second, then coming back in. Do this for a while until he's OK with it, then increase the time to 2 seconds, then 4, 8, 16, 32, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, etc. When time periods are lengthy (seconds are "lengthy" if he's anxious) and difficult for him to achieve, give him a stuffed Kong, or bully stick, or favorite toy to occupy his time.
He needs to know that when you leave, you will always be coming back! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@94Magna_Tom I think you are very right - we left the flat for one hour at a time each time thinking that because he was used to being alone for a few hours when we were in another room, it would not be an issue. But clearly we need to take it back to basics when it comes to leaving by the front door! Thank you so much, I will keep you updated

·
Registered
Casey, toy poodle - RIP 11/06/2003 to 02/23/2021
245 Posts
Maybe practice going out the door for only 1 second, then coming back in. Do this for a while until he's OK with it, then increase the time to 2 seconds, then 4, 8, 16, 32, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, etc. When time periods are lengthy (seconds are "lengthy" if he's anxious) and difficult for him to achieve, give him a stuffed Kong, or bully stick, or favorite toy to occupy his time.
He needs to know that when you leave, you will always be coming back! Keep us posted.
Agree with Tom. I used to do that and sometimes still do - come in and out at different time intervals. It does get them used to you leaving AND returning. I would add one more thing: never make a big deal out of leaving. I never even made eye contact or petted or talked to my doggos.... I just get ready and walk out the door. Coming home is different. He probably jumps all over you and I give lots of cuddles and kisses.

Training in the beginning is so hard and seems like it will never get better -- BUT it does! 😊

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree with Tom. I used to do that and sometimes still do - come in and out at different time intervals. It does get them used to you leaving AND returning. I would add one more thing: never make a big deal out of leaving. I never even made eye contact or petted or talked to my doggos.... I just get ready and walk out the door. Coming home is different. He probably jumps all over you and I give lots of cuddles and kisses.

Training in the beginning is so hard and seems like it will never get better -- BUT it does! 😊
I find it so so hard/rude not to say "good-bye W!"😂 But I know you are right and I mustn't!! thank you very much for the advice

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts

Training in the beginning is so hard and seems like it will never get better -- BUT it does!
Yes, low key departure and arrivals. A good point I forgot to mention. For returning home, I (try to) ignore him until he settles a bit. BUT!!! ...I'm HUMAN and I don't always succeed !

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her birthday is June 18th, she is 32 pds right now I had embark testing done says she should be around 62 pds. She is a big love bug.
My W was born 4 days before yours 😍 he is 30 pds so just under yours, I'm feeding him more though as he always seemed hungry! We need to keep each other updated on their progress, is everything going well with Ella?

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
I'm feeding him more though as he always seemed hungry!
Understandable but you do want to be careful not to overfeed spoo pups. Encouraging growth too fast can contribute to orthopedic issues.
Are you feeding a large breed puppy food? You want to actually slow growth down which these are formulated for. If you're interested in learning more this thread goes over that topic.
(9) Ummm... I feel like he should be bigger... | Poodle Forum

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understandable but you do want to be careful not to overfeed spoo pups. Encouraging growth too fast can contribute to orthopedic issues.
Are you feeding a large breed puppy food? You want to actually slow growth down which these are formulated for. If you're interested in learning more this thread goes over that topic.
(9) Ummm... I feel like he should be bigger... | Poodle Forum
Yes sorry I should have made clear that I am not feeding him more than what is recommended on the package, I have simply upped it a bit. I feed W puppy raw food from a UK brand called Natures Menu and in their recommendation they say between 40 and 50 cubes for a dog of W's future size (large breed) and age. I used to give him 40 but I now give him 50 as I read on PF that sharp hip bones with a hollow between them means the dog is too skinny... Thank you so much for the thread, I shall read it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My W was born 4 days before yours 😍 he is 30 pds so just under yours, I'm feeding him more though as he always seemed hungry! We need to keep each other updated on their progress, is everything going well with Ella?

Yes all is going well she has house breaking down, sit, lay down, shake pretty much mastered. Working on stay she has her own ideal on what that means lol. She is very animated and such a love bug. I do find I must be firm but not loud as she is sensitive. I gather as I read it's a common thing for spoo's . I can see her thinking when I talk to her she literally looks like she is considering my proposal and weather she want to do it or not. I am learning a lot being her mom.

Lisa

·
Registered
Wellie the black spoo
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes all is going well she has house breaking down, sit, lay down, shake pretty much mastered. Working on stay she has her own ideal on what that means lol. She is very animated and such a love bug. I do find I must be firm but not loud as she is sensitive. I gather as I read it's a common thing for spoo's . I can see her thinking when I talk to her she literally looks like she is considering my proposal and weather she want to do it or not. I am learning a lot being her mom.

Lisa
Lisa, I exactly the same experience as you, I literally can see him thinking "should I do what my human says or should I not - will she give me food if I do it?" 😂

·
Registered
Casey, toy poodle - RIP 11/06/2003 to 02/23/2021
245 Posts
I find it so so hard/rude not to say "good-bye W!"😂 But I know you are right and I mustn't!! thank you very much for the advice
It is hard. Sometimes I sneak a peek. One time I caught my last tpoo looking over his shoulder. I almost turned around to go hug him. But I kept going.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Purple Chair

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
I completely agree with desensitizing training, But I would start with higher time intervals. Ten minutes, 15 minutes... Low key departures and arrivals are key. I always remind Buck that I have never failed to come back. BYW, Wella is a darling and welcome to PF.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts