Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Jenny and this Friday my family and I will be picking up our spoo puppy. He is a 10 week old merle. We are so excited. I've been browsing the forum for a couple weeks now trying to gather loads of information before our boy comes home. This is not our first dog, back in December we put down our old standard schnauzer Zero. While our home is not completely empty as we still have our old female standard schnauzer, there is a void, and emptiness that weighs on our hearts.
We live in Ontatio Canada along with our 10 year old daughter.
I plan on grooming our spoo myself. A little bit of a daunting task, but I'm determined that it will eventually work out... even if he suffered a few bad hair days. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone else experiencing difficulties trying to post in other areas of the forum? I have a few questions I'd love advice on in the grooming section but I cant seem to post in any other section but intros.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think you may need 3 posts and then you can post anywhere. And that is a cute puppy. Did you groom yr schnauzers?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never did full grooms with the schnauzers. I would give them baths, clip nails and even clip around their eyes and sanitary area. Because of their fancy clip, I talked myself out of doing the entire groom. From what I've read, a poodle will need a groom monthly, whereas our schnauzers would only go to the groomers once every 3 months. That sounds like a poodle would get rather costly. To start I plan on doing a basic cut until I develop a skill set, then I will experiment.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Well that is a cute puppy, but he isn't a full 100% poodle since he is merle. I hope the person from whom you are getting this puppy hasn't represented him as a true poodle. He is some sort of doodle/cross. That said I hope he becomes a wonderful family dog for you all.

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read this and have actually spoken to the breeder on this topic. He purchased his stud from a breeder in California (we live in Ontario Canada). He believes his dog to be "pure" despite the controversy.
To be honest, I dont care about the bloodline. He is a beautiful and sweet boy. He is coming home as a pet with no interest in ever "showing". My daughter has aspirations on doing agility, playing fetch, teaching tricks and having a new 4 legged best friend. We have a boat, love paddle boarding, camping, and hiking. We wanted a dog that would enjoy all the activities our family loves.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I didn't mean in any way to suggest you shouldn't adore this puppy, but the merle gene is never never never present in poodles. The breeder has been had (which is sad for him, but doesn't matter for you). The stud is a cross and your puppy is a cross. As I said I hope he grows into the perfect new family member and your pup can certainly do agility, obedience, rally and other fun sports.

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely no offense taken. I appreciate any and all advice/information/stories. It's a chance to grow in knowledge and assist in making the best informed decisions for my family. Should I have wanted show dog, this definitely would have been a bigger consideration. Rather his unique appearance was a draw for our family. My husband had this vision of a spoo being rather "fru fru" snd when we pulled up to meet the breeder the stud dog totally changed his outlook on the breed. Prior to agreeing on the poodle, we were looking at giant schnauzers, bouvier and airedale terriers.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Very cute pup, but as Catherine said, the Merle gene doesn’t exist in poodles.

I am sure you will nonetheless have a wonderful dog.

Please make sure to neuter him so this gene doesn’t continue in further lines, and future puppies aren’t being mistakingly sold as poodles.

Most importantly, there are health problems associated with the merle gene and it is sad that so called breeders keep breeding dogs who carry the gene.

https://www.windsweptpoodle.com/about-the-merle-poodle.html

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I am sure you have a clause in your contract to have a vet look at your poodle within so many days. I would recommend taking it for a health check right away.

I say this as I have a pure poodle but it has an eye disease which is hereditary, and for 12 years her medications is $100.00 per month for medication and drops 2 to 3 times daily. it did not show up until she was 3 (I did not take her to the vets for a full exam) she is now 14 and you would never know it. She is losing some sight, but would have been blind and eyes would have had to be removed if I had not taken care of her the way I have. At her age lose of some sight is to be expected. Best wishes and enjoy that babe

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Absolutely no offense taken. I appreciate any and all advice/information/stories. It's a chance to grow in knowledge and assist in making the best informed decisions for my family. Should I have wanted show dog, this definitely would have been a bigger consideration. Rather his unique appearance was a draw for our family. My husband had this vision of a spoo being rather "fru fru" snd when we pulled up to meet the breeder the stud dog totally changed his outlook on the breed. Prior to agreeing on the poodle, we were looking at giant schnauzers, bouvier and airedale terriers.

He is an insanely cute and unique looker and I am glad he converted your DH. I think a poodley dog will be a much better family companion for your all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome to PF! I too am from Ontario! We will be getting our Spoo puppy sometime this year. It's getting a bit more difficult to be patient seeing all these people getting their puppies! But at the moment I'm glad I don't have her yet as the weather is intense right now!

Your puppy is so unique and very beautiful, the merle colouring is very popular which is not surprising as it is so striking. Everyone here will be happy to help you with advice, but there are many very experienced and knowledgeable owners here who get disappointed when they see breeders producing poodles like this. Obviously all puppies deserve loving homes, but we try to educate as many as possible about the differences between Reputable Breeders and BYBs and Puppy Mills, as only BYBs and Mills would be breeding dogs like this. Not that your puppy will be any less lovable and devoted, it is just not ethical.

Here is a link that pertains to your comment about not wanting a show dog that will explain in more detail our reasoning for being anti-BYB/Mill and pro Reputable (or show) Breeders: I Don't Want a Show Dog, I Want a Pet

I'm sure you will give your little guy a wonderful home. Best wishes and looking forward to any updates you'd like to share on your journey with him.

Editing to add: https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/blog/2013/04/22/importance-canine-genetic-testing-anytime-you-breed/ I re-read the other article and it did not include this info which had I thought it did. Explains the importance of Health Testing.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Welcome! There was a border collie/poodle mix at my last rally trial who looked similar to your pup, name is Camo as in camouflage which I thought was cute. I also like airedales and bouvs, but I think you made the best choice for a fun, active family pet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome! Super cute puppy, I’m in Ontario too and follow them on Facebook for the cute puppy pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts