Poodle Forum banner

Hello Poodle Forum: Interested in buying my 1st Poodle!

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  partial2poodles 
#1 ·
Hello Poodle Forum,

This site is so AWESOME and very informative!

I have been researching poodles for the past 6 months and have been fascinated with this breed for years. I am ready to buy my first poodle. I am interested in a mini or standard brown poodle puppy. I would love a standard however concerned that a 2 bedroom apartment would not be enough space so I’m leaning towards a mini. I am located in the Los Angeles area and I’m willing to travel if necessary. I want to see the parents and check out the puppy’s environment and current care and history.

I am always looking for more information about poodles, I am especially interested in nutrients and good foods, ideal cost range for poodles,potty training, good obedience schools, reasonable groomers in LA and most importantly reputable breeders. I want the most healthiest, happiest poodle out there!:)

I would ideally like to purchase within the next few months, I hear it’s better to purchase in the Spring so I can begin training my poodle before winter.

Thanks Everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
As a person who is actively interviewing puppy buyers because mine are 6 weeks old, I nwant buyers to be fully aware of costs.

1st year vet costs: $500
Grooming. $50 a month
Food. $50. Cheap grocery store food not allowed
Trips to Pet Shop so puppy can choose whatever it wants: priceless

So basically you better be able to afford a toddler human. If you reaaly have to cut corners and buy cheap food and cheap clippers, you can't afford to own a full coated, fluffy , fresh smelling poodle. You will have a matted mess with smelly infected ears, eye boogers, long nails that jumps all over visitors due to having no obedience classes and socialization. I have 7 to care for and the better you care for health, inside and outside, the cleaner you home will be, guest will fawn over you pretty, well-behaved dog and you will be the center of attention as you walk or run with you dog for exercise which is free

#4 ·
I have a toddler pup and a toddler human. The pup is much cheaper to run!. I purchased cheaper clippers, I have my dog in a short pet clip no worries. He's not a matted mess with infected ears, eye boogers, long nails and he is certainly not jumpy. I look after him, on the cheap, well! He is fed decent food, I agree there, but just because you don't want to/can't spend stupid amounts on grooming equipment, doesn't mean you won't have a happy healthy mini! It's more about the time and effort IMHO.

Minis are great dogs, the perfect size :) I have young children here a lot, and one of my own, and they are so fantastic together. He's not too big, but he can go forever in a day and it's awesome :) You can't get our family a more perfect dog than a mini! Best of luck :D

#3 ·
Hello and welcome!

My husband and I just got our first poodle, a mini, and he is the most wonderful dog! I used to think I wanted a standard, but honestly, after having this little guy I think he's the perfect size. Not too big, not too little, he's just right, LOL!

I couldn't say enough wonderful things about my breeder, who is in the Sacramento area, but I don't think she breeds many browns, I think it's mostly blacks and whites, and some creams, but you could ask her. Her prices are expensive, but her dogs are worth it. I couldn't have dreamed that my poodle pup would be as wonderful as he is--he's so pretty and has the best temperament. If you want to check her out, it's Clarion Poodles: Clarion Poodles - Miniature Poodle & Toy Poodle Breeder

I have realized that poodles are not cheap dogs to raise due to the grooming requirements. I am grooming him myself (in fact, just did his first groom this weekend) and my initial grooming equipment was $400, and this is not counting the high-velocity dryer I want, or two more sets of shears. Anyway, I figure if it's $60 or so a pop at the groomers, I will recoup my money over time. However, it's so worth it to me to put in the time and money... he looks beautiful, doesn't shed, no doggie smell. I love poodles!!!

You'll definitely want to pay for some training, as well. We're doing a cheapo Petco puppy training class ($99 for six one-hour sessions) and we lucked out with a really great trainer. After this, we will go on to basic obedience, then I would eventually like to compete in obedience with him.

Anyway, best of luck in your poodle search. Bringing Jager home has been the greatest experience!

#5 ·
I feed a quality food (Kirkland) that costs 25/month for two large dogs. I do some of my own grooming and spend half of your estimate. My two dogs are very well socialized and very obedient - zero cost for trainers. My puppies do not get whatever they want at the PetShop. So far my vet costs have been less than $200 per year per dog.

I have a healthy beautiful standard with a gorgeous long mat-free coat, no eye boogers (changing to Kirkland helped I believe), perfectly manicured nails (I don't let my groomer do anything to them except sometimes polish), that has no infected ears and is a joy to whomever he meets.

I probably would not qualify financially by many breeder standards to be a poodle owner. On the other hand, I work in Poodle Rescue and have rescued standard poodles from some pretty amazing homes in the best parts of town.

Yes, poodles can be very expensive (certainly mine is more so than my Aussie). But costs can be contained if you will put in the time. And you will have a far better relationship with your poodle as an added bonus.

I think I'm too easily offended that poodle people assume that only the wealthy should have a standard.

#6 ·
Welcome - poodles are amazing and I truely feel the best dogs on the planet:)

All pets come with costs and the first years shots are higher then the following years unless there is an issue. The $500.00 is a good estimate if you plan to spay/neuter in the first year, this was about right but only the first year.

Grooming can costs some money BUT you can do a good deal of it at home with a decent set of clippers. But if you try to do it all then yes good clippers and scissors, dryer etc will run into some money, I did this but it has been worth it.

#7 ·
I groom too many poodles and designer dogs that people bought BECAUSE THEY DON"T SHED. Great! But no one told these people how much maintainence and money goes into these types of dogs. I have clients come in who barely look like they can afford a pack of cigarettes and they complain that its Max's annual groom. Once a year is not enough. Even 4 times a year on certain dogs is not enough. I hear the stories from my clients about how much this dog's hair costs...."It costs 5 times as much as my own!" or "I'd do it myself but she bites me every time I brush her!" So I know that owning a nice dog CAN be financially expensive.

I try to recommend better diet so the dog's eyes and ears will hopefully clear up without a vet visit cause they just said they can't afford ANOTHER trip to the vet. They complain that my food is too expensive....Ol Roy is what their dog eats the best......If I recommend a simple comb...something under $10, to try and keep the little thing mat-free to save on grooming costs, they say they have a double sided brush and the dog runs away from it.

SO...again, as a person who is responsible poodle owner, I want to find puppy buyers who KNOWINGLY will take one of my puppies and provide what it needs. I am adamant that good food makes good dogs, time, attention, vet care and nutrition aren't all free. If you don't have time, do you have money to pay a pet service to come in an let your dog out? If you can't afford my dogs, go somewhere else. Its also not always about the money. Some welfare type people can be rude and ignorant. Other elderly on limited incomes are the kindest people and would sacrifice anything to make sure their dog had a prescription or a treat once in a while. But I truly feel that the poorest of the poor shouldn't own a Bernese mountain doodle or something like that. They COST a fortune to maintain and therefore the poor dog gets neglected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.