Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My name is Jake. My family just got its first poodle. She is a brown standard poodle, her name is Hilde.

For the past 10 years we've had retired racing greyhounds, so the poodle is a big change! She's got a lot of energy and has learned a few tricks already. I'm working on getting her used to grooming - nail clipping and face trimming is especially challenging.

·
Super Moderator
1,805 Posts
Welcome. I love greyhounds. Yes, having a puppy is definitely different from an older dog. So much quicker to learn, and so much energy!

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Welcome to you and Hilde. She's adorable.

When Hilde is older, she will be just as much a couch potato as your greyhounds were - you just have to survive puppyhood first.

Reactions: Jake1983

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
She is darling and I love the name! It's wonderful you are starting early with grooming. Mine was very difficult as well. But with patience and consistency they get better!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
She looks adorable in HER chair :)

You may be doing this already:
Even if there isn't much to trim or groom, try to do it weekly. In addition, touch and handle her face and paws frequently, in between grooming sessions, and provide immediate praise and/or treats. Not sure if you brush your dog's teeth but that is something to start now and will also help her get used to her face being touched.

My praise word is 'yes' and my pup responds to it really well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to you and Hilde. She's adorable.

When Hilde is older, she will be just as much a couch potato as your greyhounds were - you just have to survive puppyhood first.
Thank you! It's hard to imagine her being as laid back as our old greyhound right now. We decided to get a dog that might want to play with our kids and go jogging with me when she gets older.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Welcome - what an adorable girl. Glad you are getting her used to being groomed early. I didn't do this with Asta and ended up having a spoo who really is a terrorist when I groom him.
That being said - enjoy puppyhood. You will find that time flies.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
So cute! She will likely be more than energetic enough to keep up with your family, while also having a beautiful off-switch for cozy couch times. Just be sure to teach her early that settling is a very good thing and sometimes treats even fall from the sky when puppy is laying down, being quiet.

We went back and forth on adopting a greyhound, but ultimately decided a sighthound's bolting potential wasn't a good fit for our current lifestyle. Hoping maybe in the future!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Jake and Hilde! She is so cute and pretty! Seeing as grooming is a huge part of poodle life, it’s great you’re starting now. Puppies are quite challenging and require a lot of energy and patience for sure.
I love greyhounds (and whippets) and hope to get one some day.
Welcome to poodle forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts