Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! Well I am hoping that this is the right place to be for advice with my toy poodle. I just bought her two days ago and she is only 5 weeks old. I know what you all are probably thinking; " puppies should be with their moms at least 8 weeks", trust me I know, but I am in Mexico for the year and the people I bought/rescued her from had removed her mom from the litter just that morning, so I felt I had to do something. They also had the tails of the puppies docked which i was shocked to see. I am assuming it was so feces didn't get stuck in them, because they didn't seem to want to clean up. I saw her parents and they hadn't been well groomed

My puppy is absolutly precious, and seems very well adjusted for her size and age. They had been feeding her whole cow's milk, which i continued for her first night with me and since have been trying to wean her off that with Purina puppy chow and warm water, which she seems to like but has a little bit of trouble eating it. I have given her two baths since bringing her home and cut out whatever feces were stuck in her fur. But I have found some fleas and I think because i am so worried to get her face wet that they hide there. Any advice how to remove them?

Also I am trying to find a reliable vet here to get her de-wormed and vaccinate her for parvovirus. I am planning on waiting a week or two for the rest of the vaccinations. Any advice on this would be appreciated as well.

I have grown up with dogs, first a lab, and my family has a maltese but this is my first puppy of this age and I am a little unsure about what I should do with a puppy this young, I just want to make sure I am going about this the right way. But gosh, she is adorable and so sweet, she doesn't whine or cry, she sleeps ALOT, but also seems to be curious and social when playing, and she loves to cuddle. I named her Maní, spanish for peanut. I will include pics soon!!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see pictures. I bet she is a cute little furball. It sounds like you two were meant for each other. I'm so glad you were able to rescue her from an unclean loveless atmosphere.

Since she is so young, I would give her a bath in baby shampoo and suds her all over a LOT. Use a tearless shampoo. The soap should suffocate the fleas in 5 minutes. I've heard Johnson's baby shampoo tends to work best even though it tends to dry out the skin.

It's not the best method for killing fleas. Since she is so young, I wouldn't want to use any chemical treatment.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
:welcome: to the poodle forum! That is good advice from BFF. You don't want to use any chemicals on a puppy that young. Good for you to step in and rescue that little one. Looking forward to pictures.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Congrats. ANd welcome.

I might use some dawn as well, nothing over the counter. I would get her to the Vet as soon as you can, they can assist you in weening and feeding. Poor little girl. I am so glad she you and I cannot wait to see pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts