Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have been reading this forum for the past month and a half because of the Whispering Pines rescue (kudos to the people on here that helped provide information leading to her arrest). We recently adopted one of those poodles and I am hoping to learn more about poodles in general and also to get some help with some of the issues we are finding out our new family member has. I look forward to being a part of this forum!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Welcome! And congrats on your new addition. I'm thrilled to hear the WP poodles are being adopted out into great homes. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome. I meant to add that the poodle we adopted is a female, brown standard (I uploaded her picture as my avatar). She is very sweet but does have a couple of issues from her past that we are going to have to work on but I have faith she will acclimate very well as part of our family.

And, yes, the WP poodles are being adopted out to wonderful families, there are only a couple left that need homes. My daughter and I volunteer at the shelter and have enjoyed getting to know them all, they are very special.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Oh so fabulous to hear someone with one found us here!

I had wished i was closer and could have taken one it really broke my heart. Even if just to foster.

Welcome to the board. What's your girls name?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congratulations on your adoption of a beautiful, brown girl. It is so encouraging to hear something positive coming out of the tragic WP story. Your good deed is a true blessing. May your family life only blossom with her presence. What behaviors are you seeing that concern you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Her name is Karma; it just worked on so many levels :)

The main issue is that she eats her poo and one of my other dog's poo. I can't blame her because that is probably all she had to eat for long stretches of time but I really would like to stop it from happening. I heard you can put meat tenderizer in their food and I started that yesterday so I'm crossing my fingers it will work. Any other suggestions would be welcome!

She also is a chewer but she is smart enough that I believe I can teach her what's good to chew and what's not in a short amount of time. I think just good, positive training will fix the majority of her issues, you can tell she just hasn't been worked with much, if at all. We continue to see more of her personality come out every day but all in all she is a very sweet well-tempered dog considering her past.

Oh, and I almost forgot, she is having a hard time adjusting to the food I feed (mainly Merrick and Wellness) and she needs to gain at least 5 lbs. I could not get a firm stool from her so I took her in to get rechecked for parasites since they all came in loaded with all sorts of them, that test was negative so I have her on chicken/rice/cottage cheese and am going to very slowly wean her off of that and onto the other food. A poodle breeder I ran into at my vet's office told me it was very hard to put weight on a poodle so I'm thinking I have a challenge ahead of me with that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That is a great name for your special girl. Clearly, the stars were aligned for her to join your family. How old is Karma? Sometimes pups eat poo, even without difficult pasts. Were you feeding her only dry kibble? In addition to adjusting to a new routine, she could have sore or sensitive gums/teeth. The chicken/rice/cottage cheese should help. Does she prefer this and is it helping? How long has she been in your home?

Sounds like you are making every effort to help her adjust. Karma is a very fortunate girl.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome! So grateful you helped out with the horrible situation these poor dogs went through.........and may for a while. Poodles are resilient. I am so glad they are finding homes. But training is key as well as boundary's.

My suggestion - and not everyone can do this. But if you want a dog to bounce back with stomach issues - attempt feeding raw. It can really help out along with putting the weight back on.

Leash training or tethering is great to start out with a dog thats been through what Karma has been through. Teaching the walking and control as well as bonding and any house training issues.

My poms were poo eaters gross! I used meat tenderizer for a while and made sure the poo was picked up right after they went, it can help with breaking this nasty habit. Good luck and keep is posted!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts