Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm also extremely excited to be welcoming my first poodle, Baker! He is currently around 2 months old and we will be working together to help him become my migraine alert dog. Medications often give awful side effects for me and I've had chronic migraines practically my whole life. I hope for Baker to be helpful to me, as I often don't realize I have a migraine until they become extremely disabling, and for him to be a good companion. I will not be getting him until his basic training has been completed (around the end of December) since I am in university and need to do my best to avoid other stressors, but I'm already so happy to know he's going to be a part of my family. I can't wait to learn, do some prepping for his arrival, and share our adventures together.

I apologize in advance if Baker's pictures won't show up. I have this forum open on my phone...

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome! Baker is very cute. I love his colours, we don't see many brown partis. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Welcome. Baker sure is a cutie. I hope he's able to help you out.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
What a lovely puppy! I hope you will have a long and supportive relationship with him as your most excellent assistant.

I have one suggestion regarding grooming, which is to have his face feet and sanitary all groomed clean as many times as possible between now and the time you bring him home. Even if you decide you prefer a fluffy face you really will do him a favor teaching him now to accept that grooming calmly. You don't want him to hate grooming all the way through.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Welcome - I love partis and Baker has wonderful colors. Here's hoping that you will have joy with him. I, too, get migraines and Asta is always a help to me.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Welcome to PF and congratulations on your forthcoming parti puppy! He’s really cute. Sorry about the migraines. They really can be debilitating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As one parti mamma to another, WELCOME.

On one side, your post is making me sad because my Roland just turned a year old yesterday and when I look at Bakers pics, I miss the little puppy I could still pick up and cuddle. They grow up so fast. Oh he still cuddles, he is still Mamma's little man, it's just instead on my lap, he lays next to me and is almost as long as I am tall.

On the other side, I love your post because I'm so happy for you and your upcoming adventures in raising Baker. Here's hoping your adventures in raising Baker are as wonderful as mine were with raising Roland. We will be expecting tons of updates.

Dogs have an inborn thing about knowing illness's. I see it all the time with my untrained dogs. They just seem to know where my hurts are, being an older lady, I have alot of hurts, their nosed go straight to it and they worry and fret over it. I have no doubt Baker will have no trouble learning how to alert you.

Again WELCOME, looking forward to pics as Baker grows up.

P.S. I kind of got to agree with Lily, I love a shaved poodle face. Not only because I have a history of both show and pet grooming, I just love the look of a poodle face, but also because it's the shaved face that makes people realize he's a poodle and not a doodle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a lovely puppy! I hope you will have a long and supportive relationship with him as your most excellent assistant.

I have one suggestion regarding grooming, which is to have his face feet and sanitary all groomed clean as many times as possible between now and the time you bring him home. Even if you decide you prefer a fluffy face you really will do him a favor teaching him now to accept that grooming calmly. You don't want him to hate grooming all the way through.
Thank you for the advice. Part of his training is to become accustomed to vet checkups, grooming, and overall touching him and his toys/food. I think they may not have given him a haircut yet because they're waiting for me to decide. I'll luckily be visiting him during my fall break coming up in a few days, so I'll ask about it. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As one parti mamma to another, WELCOME.

On one side, your post is making me sad because my Roland just turned a year old yesterday and when I look at Bakers pics, I miss the little puppy I could still pick up and cuddle. They grow up so fast. Oh he still cuddles, he is still Mamma's little man, it's just instead on my lap, he lays next to me and is almost as long as I am tall.

On the other side, I love your post because I'm so happy for you and your upcoming adventures in raising Baker. Here's hoping your adventures in raising Baker are as wonderful as mine were with raising Roland. We will be expecting tons of updates.

Dogs have an inborn thing about knowing illness's. I see it all the time with my untrained dogs. They just seem to know where my hurts are, being an older lady, I have alot of hurts, their nosed go straight to it and they worry and fret over it. I have no doubt Baker will have no trouble learning how to alert you.

Again WELCOME, looking forward to pics as Baker grows up.

P.S. I kind of got to agree with Lily, I love a shaved poodle face. Not only because I have a history of both show and pet grooming, I just love the look of a poodle face, but also because it's the shaved face that makes people realize he's a poodle and not a doodle.
Aw, I'm glad Roland still likes cuddles! Baker is a standard so he'll probably grow up very quickly. I plan on taking a lot of pictures during my visit; be prepared for a picture-filled update!

About his face, I think they may be waiting to see what I'd like before they give him a haircut. I'd actually like to shave his face at least a little bit because my grandparents had a cockapoo and he got bad tear stains when his hair grew. I may let his hair grow out in the winter though for warmth and because it looks super cute. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To everyone else, thank you very much for the warm welcome and wishes! I'll definitely be giving updates whenever I can.

I'm sorry if I don't respond to everyone, but know that I have read everything and appreciate it greatly.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
No matter where that puppy goes (I hope to you) he should be getting grooming done.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Congrats on your new boy!

No matter where that puppy goes (I hope to you) he should be getting grooming done.
Yes. It is not fun to try and shave an adult poodles face or feet for the very first time because the breeder didn’t begin the process of teaching them to tolerate grooming. Lots of people like the fuzzy look but think of your groomer (or yourself if you ever groom) and start training them now. You can always grow them back out after they are used to it. I would never buy a poodle puppy who hadn’t been shaved at least a couple of times before going home.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! Such a handsome boy! I'm with the shaved feet and face lovers! I kept my girl's face long for waaay too long as a pup but never again! The mess of a dripping face on my floors convinced me, and then I discovered the elegance and softness of having her face clean......yeah no eye goobers going down her face either ! Happy Puppyhood

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update everyone before I make a second post, I just saw Baker in person on Monday! He has been introduced to light grooming so far and only one puppy in the litter has a shaved face right now (I didn't see its paws). He's starting his official training on Friday and since getting used to full grooming is part of that I think he'll be getting a haircut soon. I'll share the pictures I took some time before this week ends.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts