Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi!! I’m pretty new, too! Welcome! From research I have done, your puppy parents are at the extreme large end of the spectrum. Perhaps that is just what you need tho- depending on the needs you have in a service dog!! Congratulations on your new puppy dog! Can’t wait to see some pics when you can;) And the bigger he/she gets, the more poodle to love!!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on choosing a standard poodle as your service dog. Will the breeder be assisting with the service training? or how is that done? I also have a standard who is now 15 months old. He is weighing in at 53 lbs. I expect he may end up a few lbs heavier. My neighbor has two one weighs 72 lbs and the other 63 #. The one is overweight for his size but the heaviest one is not he is in proportion. I am still new to poodles, one is my first whom I've had since 9 weeks. Anyway just wanted to welcome you and we look forward to hear about your journey with your new pup and of course we love pictures here too.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Hi and welcome. How exciting, it must be hard to wait these next too weeks.

We have several members who have trained service dogs themselves. Are you planning to train your dog yourself?

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Welcome. I have just trained my spoo on a very basic help tasks -specifically the "help me" command (in which he finds my husband and brings him to me) More experienced service dog trainers on the forum have helped and guided me in so many ways. Currently I am working on getting Asta to bring me a bottle of water (to take medication) I have find sometimes training to be difficult for me - you must be confident, calm and have tons of patience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.