Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I looking forward to meeting fellow poodle owning peeps. I’ve had my standard poodle for almost 2 years, we’ve had him since he was 9 weeks old, his name is Sisko and he is a white and apricot parti. We live in Washington State with my mom, 3 brothers, and 2 cats. I was so happy to get him and things were going so well at first, but I had medical issues and had stopped training him. I’ve been training him again and he has been getting better at somethings, but others not so much :cautious:He has always been a puller, but he has been getting better lately:).

He used to ignore other dogs and people, but now he has to stare at everyone and jumps and barks to get their attention, then if they come up to him he sits there and then gets really excited and can’t sit still while they pet him, and if anyone even says something about him while we are walking, he goes crazy. He will eat the cat’s food right in front of us, like he just doesn’t understand that he’s not suppose to eat it. We used to have a Australian Shepherd and she knew not to touch the kitties food. He loves attention, but will sometimes misbehaves to get it and will run off before we can put him in his kennel to calm down.

He hurt my ankle pulling, so I take him on walks on the days when it doesn’t hurt. He has really good days where he listens more and is calm but other days....:eek::cry: He sometimes tries to bite me when I reach for his collar to keep him still while grooming him. I’m not sure what to do with him at times.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like you have several challenges on your hands, but you have come to a good place to seek help. There are many knowledgeable owners here.

On pulling, what type of collar or harness are you using? We use a front / chest clip harness on our dogs, and it really helps with pulling, as it twists them around a bit if they pull.

We keep our cat food elevated, above poodle nose height. While you focus on other behaviour problems, you may simply want to keep the cat food in an area the cat can, but the dog can't reach.

If you are physically unable to walk with your dog much, you will want to excercise your dog in other ways, either mentally, or physically. Games like "find the treat / toy" in the house can be fun for your dog. Throwing a ball with a Chuck-it does not require you to move much, but is great excercise for the dog. Free play / roaming in a safe space is good. Depending on how your dog interacts with other dogs, playing with other dogs can be a good way to tucker out your dog.

My poodle is also somewhat shameless, so it is challenging to get him to regret his bad choices. He just looks at me like "Oh hooman is mad. Whatever. I'd do it again."

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

PS, we like pictures.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

I used to use a Petsafe 3 in 1 harness. It worked for a few months but he started pulling and didn’t care if it was twisting, so I just use a Lupine collar with a either a PetLovers Club leash or a leather one. What kind of harness do you use?

I used to have one of my cats eat on a table above poodle nose height but the other cat loves to eat his sister’s food so I separate them now and have been putting her food on the floor now but I’ll start putting it back on the table.

Okay, thank you! He doesn’t really care for balls too much, but he loves rope toys. I took him to a dog park once and he did very well. we both loved it. I’d like to take him back when I can.

Oh no! What do you do when that happens?

Thank you!

Okay, I’ll probably have pictures soon.:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thank you.

I used to use a Petsafe 3 in 1 harness. It worked for a few months but he started pulling and didn’t care if it was twisting, so I just use a Lupine collar with a either a PetLovers Club leash or a leather one. What kind of harness do you use?

I used to have one of my cats eat on a table above poodle nose height but the other cat loves to eat his sister’s food so I separate them now and have been putting her food on the floor now but I’ll start putting it back on the table.

Okay, thank you! He doesn’t really care for balls too much, but he loves rope toys. I took him to a dog park once and he did very well. we both loved it. I’d like to take him back when I can.

Oh no! What do you do when that happens?

Thank you!

Okay, I’ll probably have pictures soon.:)
I use the Top Paw Padded-Front Walking Harness for Training. It's a long name, but a simple product that I like.

When my dog is bad, I give a firm "no," sometimes repeated. Then, I usually ask for him to do something good, like a sit-down-stay to get him to refocus on being a good dog.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the Top Paw Padded-Front Walking Harness for Training. It's a long name, but a simple product that I like.

When my dog is bad, I give a firm "no," sometimes repeated. Then, I usually ask for him to do something good, like a sit-down-stay to get him to refocus on being a good dog.
Okay, thank you! I’ll look for it. Okay ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts