Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We owned a wonderful black male SPoo named Ralph for nearly 15 years. (He passed in 2007) We then owned another black male named Jackson who came into our lives at age 8 months in the summer of 2007. He passed away quite suddenly this past April of congenital hepatic fibrosis. (serious liver disease.) We didn't know he was sick as symptoms are subtle until the liver is non-functional and the dog gets very sick. He was 3 & 1/2. We are still in shock over it. We were very sad when our first boy passed, but he lived a fabulous, long life. This one has been tough.

Anyway, we will be bringing home a new baby boy end of August. I haven't raised a pup from scratch since Ralph (1992). I'm not sure if I remember how to housebreak. Any suggestions for really good books on the subject?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Many congratulations on your new puppy - I hope you will have long, happy years together. One of the best sources of information I know on getting ready for a pup and raising it is Dr Ian Dunbar's Dog Star Daily site, where there are free downloads of "Before you get your Puppy" and "After you get your Puppy" - Dog Star Daily Look under Training Textbook for more information.

I am already looking forward to pictures of your new baby boy!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Welcome, LuvPoo! I second FJM's recommendation of Ian Dunbar's approach to puppy raising, although I didn't realize that his advice was available free online! Free is good, but his advice was well worth paying for.

My second spoo was 10.5 weeks old when I picked him up, versus 8 weeks for my first. I think those extra few weeks made for a much easier transition, including housetraining. Of course, it helped that the breeder was instilling good habits during those extra couple of weeks, but hopefully, you trust the breeder to be doing that!

My condolences on the loss of your boy Jackson. There is no easy way to lose a dog, but the sudden loss of a boy you thought was healthy must have been devastating. Several people will probably mention this, but please consider listing Jackson on the Poodle Health Registry. I am afraid that liver disease is more common in our beloved spoos than is widely acknowledged. Also, I believe that Dr. Neff at UC-Davis may still be conducting a study on chronic active hepatitis in spoos. If that is what Jackson had, let me know and I will try to dig up additional information.

Who are you getting your new pup from? We would love to see photos when you have them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

fjm & Feralpudel -

Thanks for the info. We actually relied partly on Ian Dunbar's "Sirius Puppy Training" video with our first dog. I will definitely download those books and re-boot my brain.

Feralpudel -
I do plan on listing our late dog on Poodle Health Registry. We just recently got the final autopsy results back.
I became aware of how much of an issue liver problems have become in SPoos after our dog got sick. He didn't have CAH, but congenital hepatic fibrosis. It seems like a much faster version of the same condition based on the symptoms. I also discovered shortly after he died that one neighbor and poodle owner I know owns a dog with CAH that is closely related to our late dog. Our dog's sire came from the same breeder as hers. Her dog and this sire share the same mother along with many other relatives. This breeder is big and well respected with many champions. I also found out that another neighbor down the block owns a SPoo with CAH who came from another well known and titled breeder. She has a friend who had a dog from this breeder who died of CAH early on. This is all within the rather small, but tight knit dog community of Park Slope, Brooklyn, so it's kind of shocking. It seems like some even otherwise diligent breeders are in denial about this problem. I did touch base with Dr. David Twedt, who is researching CAH in poodles at Colorado State U. He was the first one to mention that many breeders are not paying attention to this. Our breeder was very sympathetic (owner of the dam) but claimed he had never heard of liver problems in poodles. Funny. It is listed on the Poodle Club of America's website. So there you go.

We searched tirelessly for a new breeder and pup and stayed away from any recent relatives to our past dog and dogs from our other neighbor's breeder. Between that & trying (via the PHR) to find any other connections, hopefully we will be luckier this time. We also made sure our breeder had tested for all the known diseases, as we had done with our previous dogs.

I have not mentioned names in my comment, because I don't know if that is the right thing to do. I'll report to PHR and am encouraging my two neighbors to do the same.

Thanks again for you advice. I look forward to future communications!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts