Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So nice to have found this great place. I have had one upsetting experience already with a toy breeder, and feel very nervous about finding a breeder in my area. I was trying to follow the advice outlined in this forum by starting with a phone call, and then on my second phone call 24 hours later the breeder had sold the puppy I had expressed interest in--I was told that how it is done, whoever gets there first with the funds gets the puppy. I was quite taken aback, this is a reputable breeder with a lot of credentials in breeding and judging.
Any breeder recs in the PA/NJ/MD/NY area from anyone? I'm looking for a toy.
I'm sure my question has been asked before, sorry if I'm being repetitive. I can see that at one time Barclays was great, but the lady, Barbara Burdick, died in 2016. Not getting a line on who is considered good in this area--the breeder I called should have been good, but seemed problematic.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have an excellent breeder in Berkeley Springs W VA, beautiful dogs, used to show, but does not any more. I have been there and it is immaculate, and the dogs are in the house, unless they barked you would not know it, no order, clean as a pin. I saw her pups but I got an adult retired female from her. Extremely cuddly and smart. Jupidor Poodles, take a look at her site, and se is on facebookt another it will be from her and I have had 8 toys.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I am sorry you had such a stinker of an experience. I have never had anything like that happen. All of our dogs were reserved with deposits even before there were paws on the ground. The only thing that would have meant a no go would have been no black girls in Lily's litter or no boys at all in Javelin's all black litter.

This breeder is aa little bit out of the geographic area you noted, but check out Rodell Toy Poodles in Connecticut. twyla's boy Leonard is a Rodell boy that had been a show prospect but went over size. His gotcha anniversary was this past weekend so there are fresh pictures of him that will be easy to find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You--

I don't know what happened with the breeder--perhaps it was just a terrible misunderstanding. Not sure, but it left me confused and a bit wary.
I will check Rodell's. I am proceeding cautiously.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
It helps to be patient and persistent when looking for your poodle puppy. I know you will find your new baby and you’re getting good leads from the folks here.

I had tried to get a poodle from Barclays only to be shocked that Barbara Burdick had passed away.

Reactions: aureole99

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I have found that that IS often the way breeders sell puppies. If a good home comes along, they don't want to miss that opportunity, so it is first come, first served, as long as it's an appropriate home. I'm really sorry that you felt disappointed and surprised by what happened, though. It would have been nice if the breeder had said up front that she wouldn't hold the puppy for you. Don't worry, your puppy is out there and you're getting some great breeder recommendations :)

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
I agree with ZM. My requirement to have an older puppy made me move fast, I called and went the next day to meet a puppy, ready to pay if that pup matched my criteria. I have the Rodell's pup Catherine was mentioning. Rod has another male pup available, well as of last week, I would love to snatch up.
This is Mr. Leonard Pink, healthy as an ox
20181213_181927 (1280x960).jpg

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I understand your apprehension. Unfortunately breeders do get calls all the time from the public. Many times deposits are given even before they are born. Without a deposit a breeder cannot hold a puppy in most cases as they have been burnt many a time with people expressing interest but not putting a deposit then they never hear from them again. Its like any business you see something you want, you buy it or someone else will. On another note there are plenty puppies and you will find the right one for you. Lots of toys on this forum and I would definitely check out their recommendations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input and advice--no luck so far

the thing about my first experience is--I expressed interest in a black male, which the lady had--but she discouraged me and wanted me to consider and older silver female that she had decided not to keep for herself. She also sent me pictures of the female, and then she herself told me to think it over. ( Also, her husband was in the ER having just fallen down a flight of steps). I thought it over, waited a polite amount of time(barely 24 hours), and called back to pursue, having made funds available for one or both dogs. The lady had sold the black male, and never mentioned the silver female--I can only assume she decided to keep her.
I understand what you all are saying about moving quickly but my head is spinning--the breeder the one poster suggested, above(Jupidor), I cannot locate--perhaps out of business?
And the other, Rodells--did not respond to a FB message of last night, although the message was read immediately. His website indicates that a Facebook message is the way to initiate contact.
Any advice/ideas?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I looked at the FB page it does say it takes generally 24 hours to respond but I also see a phone number on the website Or call for more info
Tel # (203)269-3554
Cell 203-927-3862
It says puppies available or at least 1 was

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deposits on unborn animals from unvisited breeders

Hi again all,

I just re-read a previous post--am I understanding correctly? That nowadays, deposits can be made on an unborn puppy to a breeder whose place you have not visited? Wow.

My first pet was a bassett hound at age five( gift from my parents), and I have always visited the breeder and seen the place/puppies/kittens before making a decision ( I had Maine Coon cats for many years, now have Siamese. Only one Siamese boy now.)
I suppose its a new world, seems somewhat risky.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
the thing about my first experience is--I expressed interest in a black male, which the lady had--but she discouraged me and wanted me to consider and older silver female that she had decided not to keep for herself. She also sent me pictures of the female, and then she herself told me to think it over. ( Also, her husband was in the ER having just fallen down a flight of steps). I thought it over, waited a polite amount of time(barely 24 hours), and called back to pursue, having made funds available for one or both dogs. The lady had sold the black male, and never mentioned the silver female--I can only assume she decided to keep her.
I understand what you all are saying about moving quickly but my head is spinning--the breeder the one poster suggested, above(Jupidor), I cannot locate--perhaps out of business?
And the other, Rodells--did not respond to a FB message of last night, although the message was read immediately. His website indicates that a Facebook message is the way to initiate contact.
Any advice/ideas?
I do not know here is her contact information

Welcome 304-258-0945 her e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Advice: Don't waste time with FB messages! If you are a serious buyer, have your money in hand and call. I know Rodell responds better to calls and will move on to the next person in line quickly, so be available to talk. I think normally 24 hours to think over a decision is preferable, but for a hot commodity like a toy poodle from a show breeder, you've got to already trust the breeder you're talking with and be ready to pull the trigger fast if the puppy sounds like the right match for you. Toy poodles and other toy breeds produce far fewer puppies than spoos, which is why there are more buyers waiting to snap them up! Good luck :D

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Yes it is very common to place a deposit on a puppy before they are born. That is one reason you go to a reputable breeder, people usually know their dogs and are will to wit for a well bred poodle or any breed for that matter. Health testing on parent dogs, conformation, what the breeder does with her dogs. Yes when was young you just went looked at a litter and picked one and brought it home. Thats still done but not usually the way when you buy from a well known reputable breeder who does health testing prior to even breeding the dogs.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Hi again all,

I just re-read a previous post--am I understanding correctly? That nowadays, deposits can be made on an unborn puppy to a breeder whose place you have not visited? Wow.

My first pet was a bassett hound at age five( gift from my parents), and I have always visited the breeder and seen the place/puppies/kittens before making a decision ( I had Maine Coon cats for many years, now have Siamese. Only one Siamese boy now.)
Personally, I would NEVER do that! I go off of visiting the breeder's home or by their reputation (and I mean they can't have any negative reviews out there!).

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I understand your apprehension. Unfortunately breeders do get calls all the time from the public. Many times deposits are given even before they are born. Without a deposit a breeder cannot hold a puppy in most cases as they have been burnt many a time with people expressing interest but not putting a deposit then they never hear from them again. Its like any business you see something you want, you buy it or someone else will. On another note there are plenty puppies and you will find the right one for you. Lots of toys on this forum and I would definitely check out their recommendations.
Mufar, I love you, but I totally disagree that ANY reputable breeder sees puppies as a business :afraid: They are looking to breed their next champion, and not all puppies in the litter will be the champion. That is where pet homes come in. Neither of my dogs breeders was in any rush to sell their dogs and deposits are not taken before birth. Waiting lists, yes ;)

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Hi again all,

Yes indeed that can be and is done. I had had extensive phone and email discussions with both poodle breeders. I also knew I could have walked away if the visit revealed things I didn't like. For Lily I knew if there were no black girls I could either get my money back or wait for next litter. The breeder was veery close to where I live so I had been there before the pups arrived as I recall to drop off my deposit. For Javelin his breeder came very highly recommended by someone I respect very well. She would have given my deposit back if I had asked, but it was only $100 anyway.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I understand your point. I guess I should not have said business but when a litter is born and they have pups they won't keep, as often is the case and how we get pet pups, they do want to move them as quick as possible albeit to the right homes. And yes I agree waiting lists but I always thought they wanted a deposit to be on the list. Makes sense your way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts