Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Our recent rescue Willow is a beautiful, brilliant, funny and very loving silver-beige miniature poodle with amber green eyes. She was rescued by a wonderful small dog, foster only, volunteer run rescue organization I have adopted from previously.

Willow Now

Willow fractured her front foreleg as a baby, and unfortunately her breeder left the injury untreated. When the rescue stepped in (she was seven months old), the first vet said to amputate the malformed leg. As soon as I saw her posting, I knew she belonged with our family, and worked with the rescue and her wonderful foster mom to have her leg reconstructed at Cornell. She had the operation in late January. Now you wouldn't know that she ever had a problem, or was at risk of losing her limb.

Puppy Willow

She is very agile and athletic, but unfortunately won't be able to participate in agility due to the risk of injury. Willow aced her Advanced Companion course, has completed her Canine Good Citizen certification, and will be starting her Therapy Dog course next week. I plan to follow with rally or competitive obedience, and whatever fun classes Willow seems to enjoy (the classes are for her personal development to focus her marvelous intelligence, energy, and enthusiasm for life).

Amor

Willow lives with us on a 20 acre private wildlife sanctuary and nature preserve in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Her siblings are Amor, a 13 year old Maltese, (another special needs rescue adopted at 18 months old) who is deaf and has a heart condition (but looks and acts like a puppy), and Uncle Larry, a large Amazonian red-footed tortoise (another rescue).

Willow and Uncle Larry (who loves her)

Unfortunately, we have just lost our darling Maltese rescue Maiori to complications from cancer. She and Willow had really bonded. Luckily Willow also bonded to Amor, and they are fast friends.

Maiori
http://nicolamarae.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Maiori-Web.jpg

In the near future, we'll be looking for a female standard poodle to join our family.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! Wow! Living with you sounds like a paradise for a poodle......all that wildlife! LOL! I know my girl would never lift her nose from the ground if she lived on a wildlife preserve hahaha!
I am sorry for your recent losses though, and hope you find a Spoo to make you smile!

P.S. Loved the pictures of your adorable crew!

Reactions: Nahama

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I want to welcome you and your gang to PF. Willow is so lucky to have found such a wonderful, loving mom. I'm so glad you we able to step in and have her leg reconstructed so she is functional - even if she can't join in the fun of agility, most of the other dog sports are open to her. Lucky that she and Amor bonded. I'm sorry for your loss of Maiori.

I'm sorry I didn't see your photos - I'm not tech savvy so I can't help but try to download them again, I'd love to see them. After I posted I saw you were able to put in links to photos. OMG Willow is so beautiful and girly with her pink ribbon. What a sweetheart of a poodle.

BTW I participate in WCRL Rally - unlike AKC they allow dogs with handicapped to fully participate to the level that they can. For a dog like Willow, you can request to have the jumps lowered to where they are safe for her to perform. I have a friend with a dog who was born with 3 legs - and she moved to WCRL when AKC rally refused to allow her healthy, active and happy 3 legged dog to compete.

And OMG - her breeder didn't repair her leg - wish people like this could be tossed in prison and the key thrown away. I hope the authorities were called in and steps taken to hold the breeder responsible and to shut them down.

Reactions: Nahama

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the warm response, Molly, your girl is adorable!

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skylar, thank you for your kind response and excellent information on rally options. Willow goes to a wonderful training facility and is able to participate in classes, but we haven't tried competitions yet.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Willow is so lucky she found you and it sounds like she has an amazing new home. Thank you for rescuing her!

I would love to see the photos, but unfortunately my phone is blocking me from the website and stating there is a security issue.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
OMG - Willow now is one gorgeous poodle. So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Maiori.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Willow is so lucky she found you and it sounds like she has an amazing new home. Thank you for rescuing her!

I would love to see the photos, but unfortunately my phone is blocking me from the website and stating there is a security issue.

Thanks so much for your kind words. Sorry you couldn't see the photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG - Willow now is one gorgeous poodle. So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Maiori.

Thank you Asta's Mom - yes, she's a beauty! But also a very active, athletic girl. We're still a bit in shock from Maiori's sudden loss - the cancer, paw amputation (which seemed to go well but then she had a sudden decline) and complications all happened in less than two months. We did not expect to lose Maiori so soon, and thought we had a few more years with her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts