Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I just got my very first poodle this week. As I was digging for poodle specific information I came across this forum. I joined a betta fish forum in March 2020 and have really enjoyed the community there, so when I saw this forum I very happily made an account.
A little about me….
I’m a stay at home mom. I have two small mixed breed dogs a cat and many fish tanks lol. Happily married for 15 years and two kids.
our newest addition….
Meet Magnus. A standard poodle male. He is 10 weeks old today, He has been with us for five days now. The three hour drive home was pretty rough on our new guy. Car sick puppy is a sad sad thing to witness. Getting home and handing over a stressed very smelly puppy to the husband was their first meeting. No worries though as his dad instinct kicked into overdrive and he was able to bathe him and blow dry him without issue, as I hauled in a giant crate with blankets and toys that desperately needed washed down as well. The first night home was rough. The second night of crying and high pitched yipping was rough. The third night was better, and guess who woke up this morning at a decent time without spreading poop everywhere? Magnus! When I heard the barking this morning at 6am I prepared myself for the mess I was sure I was going to find. Lo and behold! No mess! He was happy to see me and ran straight for the back door when released from the gated puppy area. He still hasn’t learned his name but tilts his head when I say outside and runs for the door. We have had a few potty accidents but being at home all day is making this transition easier for the whole family. Yesterday I shaved his big ol feet. He mostly slept through the whole thing. I figured if dancing in his own poop every Morning was going to be a thing for awhile shaved feet would make cleaning him up a lot easier. I plan to shave his “private” areas today and maybe his face if things go well. Magnus loves to follow me around and will puppy nap on the couch curled up with me before dinner but he gets so so excited when my husband “dad” comes home from work. It’s so nice to see the two of them bonding pretty much immediately (I had to REALLY talk my husband into getting puppy) my two small dogs are doing ok with the new giant in the house and Magnus has been great with my old old cat. I’m still keeping a close eye on those interactions though. My cat is now 16 and less than impressed with the dogs but will sit next to my giant pup without issue so far.
anyhow! Glad to be a part of the poodle forum and looking forward to getting to know everyone. This is my first experience with this breed so I’ve been cruising forum posts about training and just general information.
Dog supply Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Dog breed

Dog breed Toy Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Vertebrate Black Dog Textile Sleeve

Toy Dog breed Tints and shades Water dog Tail

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His sire is a cream and tan party and his mom is apricot. Grand sire is a big ol black fella. I really like the grand sire and sire. I got to meet his sire a few years back when he was only 4 months old and instantly fell in love. If she would have let me at the time I would have scooped him right up and brought him home. When I was told that she studded him to this really sweet apricot girl I went to work trying to convince my husband we needed a new family member 😂
As you can see I succeeded in said convincing

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Hi and welcome to you, Magnus, and the rest of your very understanding crew!

If Magnus is your first poodle, you're in for a new level in canine cohort. You'll find that poodles observe, consider, and conclude things, with a bit of "what's in it for me?".

One of my favorites:

"Poodles are Labs with a college education. My Poodle will do anything your Labrador will do. After a day of retrieving in the field, your Lab wants to curl up and snore in front of the fire. My Poodle wants to be a fourth at bridge and tell naughty stories."

Anne Rogers Clark, the famous handler, all breed judge and Poodle breeder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the welcoming, I appreciate it greatly 💜 @94Magna_Tom Elroy is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your pictures with me I’d be lucky if Magnus turns out half as handsome ( of course I’d love him to pieces either way)
@Rose n Poos that quote is fantastic 😂 I really wanted a big dog again. having a smart loving one is why I decided a standard poodle was a great choice for me and my family.
@Mfmst at first I was convinced that I wanted a white female. Then I realized it didn’t really matter what gender or color of standard poodle I picked. This litter came at the right time. I walked in to meet them and said what ever pup likes me best is going home with me. Magnus and I just clicked. His sister is a really pretty dark brown and white party and she was real sweet but she just didn’t seem to care if I was there or not? No connection. Magnus has these kind soulful eyes that just melt me. (When he isn’t trying to rip the blankets off the couch)
@Basil_the_Spoo I’m over in Eastern Wa. Pretty much smack dab between Seattle and Spokane. Lots of flat rolling farm land which I love. It’s nice that I can drive a few hours whenever I miss the ocean though. I’m definitely due for an ocean visit sometime. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you @Minie. How is your spoo with your tpoo? Is you tpoo scared of the big pup? I have two small dogs and the pup desperately wants to play with them. My little dogs seem intimidated by my big goofy puppy. So far the little dogs will play just a bit and if he starts looming over them they high tail it to higher ground lol.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and Magnus ! With cream and apricot parents, I wouldn’t be surprised if Magnus ended up blue. I’m not an expert on color in poodles but there is a Poodle genetic color group on Facebook where you could ask. We also have some members that might know.

My Beckie’s parents are cream and café or silver beige and she turned blue. I could see the change when she was about 2 mainly, but signs were present before, like white hair chunks under the paw pads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He did have 1 white toe but it doesn’t seem to go all the way to his follicles. I shaved his feet and the white is completely gone now. He had a few white hairs between the pads of his feet as well as a few white hairs on the edge of his lower lip. The patch of white in his chest goes all the way to his skin so I believe that will stay for good. My cousin did say she suspected one of the boys would turn blue but I didn’t know which one she was referring to and she wasn’t there when I chose a pup. He has no brown tint to his coat at all. Very inky black right now but if he does turn blue that would be alright with me. I picked him for his personality anyhow. It will be interesting to see how he changes! Thanks for the heads up @Dechi

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
137 Posts
Thank you @Minie. How is your spoo with your tpoo? Is you tpoo scared of the big pup? I have two small dogs and the pup desperately wants to play with them. My little dogs seem intimidated by my big goofy puppy. So far the little dogs will play just a bit and if he starts looming over them they high tail it to higher ground lol.
Our tpoo Luca is the boss. He is really good at playing and teaching Matteo good dog manners. Matteo 'handicaps' himself by lying down when playing. He is cheeky and pulls Luca's tail when he wants something or stands over him. Luca jumps up and snaps at him and tells him off. Yesterday, Matteo was being an 11 week old tease and Luca was enjoying a rest. Luca scolded Matteo and snapped at him. Matteo got the message and tried to crawl under the sofa. He can't fit under the sofa as he is too big. It was really funny to watch.
When we leave the house Matteo is in an x-pen so that Matteo accidently does not hurt Luca. But without a doubt. Luca is very much in control. They love each others company. We were very careful about choosing a confident but calm spoo pup because of Luca being a tpoo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts