Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - my awesome rescue standard poodle passed away in August 2018 after 9 years together. Though I miss him constantly, I'm now beginning the process of researching breeders in WA state to find a puppy to adopt ...hopefully in the next year. My ideal is a black standard male who will be a great companion dog to me and enjoy urban life (with all the noise and excitement that goes with it), swimming, long walks, hiking, and snuggling by the fireplace. I'm planning to get deeper into training this time around and am doing some research for getting a dog ready to be a reading dog or other kind of light therapy work. I'm also hoping to try out agility or obedience competitions, more to have something fun to do together than to be an uber serious competitor...

so I'm hoping to find some guidance, advice and inspiration here!

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Welcome to PF. I am sure you will find great support here in your search for a new fur kid. Personally I think black standards are the best, so much that I have two of them.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Welcome to PF, although I am very sorry for the reason. Our community really understands how painful losing a dog is. I hope you will take some time finding your next poodle since he is going to be doing performance sports and therapy work. I would want a boy from a conformation line of an experienced breeder who does all the health testing. Wanting a male may give you an edge if there are waiting lists. Everyone always seems to want a female. Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I definitely want to take the time - I have reached out to Farthing Poodles and am looking forward to getting to know the line better. I am glad to know that they are well respected by folks in this forum too! There seem to be a lot of questionable poodle breeders these days... I have never had a puppy before so taking the time to prepare and get ready for lots of training and learning is part of the process...and hoping to get to a point where poodle pictures bring me joy again rather than tears.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
... I have never had a puppy before so taking the time to prepare and get ready for lots of training and learning is part of the process...and hoping to get to a point where poodle pictures bring me joy again rather than tears.
Welcome, Dancingbird. You chose a lovely handle. Since you have not had a puppy before, maybe these resources could be of interest.

Jane Killion's Puppy Culture is being used by many wonderful breeders these days, and it's interesting to read about how it works:
https://www.puppyculture.com/ .

Volhard testing is still in use, so a search on that is also good.

Ian Dunbar's Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy are essential, important books, and Dr. Dunbar actually offers them at no charge via download at Dogstar Daily. https://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads Consider reviewing the entire site for positive and effective approaches to puppy socialization and raising. He is clear how important it is to get one's puppy out and about from the beginning - and doing so safely. Please don't let anyone scare you into keeping a puppy home until all vaccinations are complete, but learn to handle this safely.

These two stickies right here at PF are invaluable. One is on buying a puppy the right ways, and the other addresses the realities of Poodle puppies :):
https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/33522-buying-puppy-safely-basics.html
https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/182666-puppy-reality.html

Also, read up on Jean Dodds' vaccination protocols, and consider working with your vet to follow that. If you're interested, someone here will have a good link for you.

hth

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! So sorry for your loss of Jammu and hope you find the perfect-for-you Spoo to fill that hole in your heart! There are so many poodle knowledgeable people here to help you and answer any questions you may have ! Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of knowledgeable friendly people on here. I'm a long time dog person but have my 1st st poo. He is 9 months and has been my biggest challenge, very smart and wants to please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts