Poodle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Bristol! (UK)
Brought Hector home last Saturday and have just been rolling around in all the joys of having a puppy in the house. He's my first dog as a grown up and reading this form helped a great deal in deciding a standard poodle was the right dog for me. Looking forward to all the trials and tribulations of raising a puppy but so far Hector's been a dream. He's a sensitive little guy so we've been taking things slow but at 9 weeks old he hasn't had an accident in the house and has got some basic commands under his belt (collar?)

Again very grateful for all the information on this form and the wonderful breeder who gave him such a great start. Look forward to asking lots of questions and sharing lots of photos as he grows up. (He's a sable so I'm excited to see how his colour changes!)
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Welcome to you and your gorgeous spoo Hector.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Welcome!

Track his weight every week, like on a Friday morning. It will be fun for you to see concrete numbers on his growth. Plus, this will be valuable information for your vet if/when issues pop up (because they will). Fingers crossed that it's just the easiest puppyhood experience.

So, rather then "I think he's losing weight and not feeling well" you can say "x happened, last week and this is how he's been behaving. Two weeks ago he weighed Y kg. Last week he weighed W kg. This week he is Z kg. I think there's something wrong."

I just included ours every 5 weeks, but I took a picture every week lol.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

Glasses Dog Dog breed Water dog Sunglasses

Glasses Dog Water dog Sunglasses Toy

Glasses Sunglasses Beard Toy Fur clothing

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome!

Track his weight every week, like on a Friday morning. It will be fun for you to see concrete numbers on his growth. Plus, this will be valuable information for your vet if/when issues pop up (because they will). Fingers crossed that it's just the easiest puppyhood experience.

So, rather then "I think he's losing weight and not feeling well" you can say "x happened, last week and this is how he's been behaving. Two weeks ago he weighed Y kg. Last week he weighed W kg. This week he is Z kg. I think there's something wrong."

View attachment 488893

View attachment 488898
View attachment 488899
View attachment 488900
Welcome!

View attachment 488893

View attachment 488898
View attachment 488899
View attachment 488900
Thanks for the tips and the weight info, it's great to have another point of reference!

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
Been holding the groomer back from shaving the face, we will eventually but just eye trims for now, until we have the big summer trim.
He's growing so big!

If you're not already doing this, I must add, many like you prefer the full fuzz face look, but something to consider for his benefit and anyone who ever will be trying to use a clipper on or near his face is to start desensitizing and acclimating him to the sound and feel of the clipper on his face. It could be very stressful without working up to it.

An electric toothbrush sans brush can approximate the sound and sensation or an actual clipper with a cover for the blade.

Reactions: Minie

·
Registered
Luna 2/15/22 Standard Poodle | Drake 12/5/09 APBT / AmStaff mix
22 Posts
Welcome!

View attachment 488893

View attachment 488898
View attachment 488899
View attachment 488900
Oh
Welcome!

View attachment 488893

View attachment 488898
View attachment 488899
View attachment 488900
Oh boy. I think I'm in trouble. 🤣 My Spoo was 35 pounds @ 17.5 weeks. 😳

1 - 19 of 19 Posts