Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

We got a toy poodle about three weeks ago, her name is Figgy (or Figgus, or Figster Pigster) short for Sphygmomanometer. She was an oops baby when mommy and daddy were hanging out and things got ruff, pun intended. She is 13 weeks old and a little bundle of joy. Smart, energetic, playful, cuddly and above all fantastic with my son.

I have a few base questions and know that I can probably find the information by searching the forums, but figure why not ask here.

We really like the haircut of the parents, we are not their owners, and would like some direction on what the cut is called or how to ask for this cut. Additionally, we are at a loss for what color she may become. Her nose is black, her front paws are black, and she has some cream in her rear paws. Her skin is a pinkish throughout, though we have not shaved her down to see what color it is, just our observation by peeking past her hair. Her eyes started blue and are turning brown. It looks like her muzzle is starting to clear to silver a little. From my research, it sounds like she is what is considered a mis-mark predominately black (or bad black, possibly silver?) poodle, but any experience you may have on this subject would be appreciated.

We are super excited about being her new humans and I look forward to chatting with you all!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Your pup is a mismark and may be a silver, but you will have to shave her face and feet to know for sure. Even though you like those fuzzy face clips I urge you to get your pup to accept being clipped so that it isn't a traumatic event for her later in life.

I wouldn't begin to know what to call the clips on the parents since they aren't really anything special (cute, but not my style). Also I personally don't like the mess of wet hair and food stuck to faces after eating, just not my thing. If you do eventually want that clip, just show the pictures to the groomer. But in the meantime again I really hope you will do right by your pup and have her get used to doing a clipped down face, feet and sanitary. Most really savvy breeders clip puppies starting at about five weeks old. My Javelin had been bathed and clipped three times before he was nine weeks old and also had been introduced to having his nails dremeled. All of that made it much easier for me once he was home.

I wouldn't begin to know what to call the clips on the parents since they aren't really anything special. Also I personally don't like the mess of wet hair and food stuck to faces after eating, just not my thing.

Reactions: crestlin

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Figgy does look like a black mismark. If her black coat has a brownish cast in the sun she could be a blue mismark, or as Lily CD said, a light muzzle would indicate a silver mismark. Very cute ball of fluff in any color. Looks like a teddy bear groom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the valuable information, it is appreciated. We have been clipping her nails at home, washing her weekly, and brushing daily. There are a couple groomers nearby that have fantastic reviews that I will speak with next week to get her in and comfortable with being groomed. We had beagles before Figgy and this is an entirely different experience and the learning curve seems pretty steep on ensuring that she is cared for correctly. Ultimately, we are very happy with her demeanor and look forward to many good years with this pup. :) Thanks again.

Edit: Our first groom scheduled for next Friday, wish us luck! :D

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! Awww! She's cute! Whatever clip you decide on make sure you take a picture with you to the groomer......what you say and how the groomer interprets it could be miles apart!
My second suggestion is to purchase the book 'Poodle Clipping and Grooming; the International Reference by Shirlee Kalstone. Although it is an older book it is considered the bible of poodle grooming and will guide you to what is needed to care for your poodles coat correctly! Happy Puppyhood!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Hi and welcome. Figgy sure is a little cutie pie.

I agree with getting Figgy used to having her face clipped short on a regular basis right now so she gets used to being clipped. When she's older, and comfortable with grooming you can grow the fur out around her mouth. When they have long fur on the face you do have to keep it clean which means wiping and washing it daily. I'm glad you have a grooming appointment.

Reactions: Mfmst and crestlin

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I trim my girls face every 10 days, keeps them uch cleaner they are toys so it ony takes a few minutes, they all still run and hide, as no one wants to be first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome! Figgy is very cute and so are her parents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts