Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Poodle Owners!

I'm so excited to have found this forum! I'm a big fan of dogs who have owners that care enough about their dogs to teach them to become responsible dog members of our society. The past year has been a very busy one for me!

In May 2009 Ocsi and I passed our test for our AKC Canine Good Citizen certification and on the same day passed the test to become registered Pet Partners with the Delta Society!! We have been searching for an outlet to visit children in hospitals together, but have had no luck thus far here in Chicago (when I was in high school we would go every Christmas to play for the ICU burn patients).

Ocsi (pronounced something like utschi) became my best friend nearly 7 years ago on a trip I took to visit family in Hungary (he's actually an Uszkár!). I bought him at the market when he was 3 months old weighing only 3 lbs and happily brought him back to the states with me! Its been love at first sight. Ocsi comes with me almost everywhere I go! He loves to take day trips, and has even gone overnight camping!

Well you'll notice that I actually have two dogs! The second one is a new member to the family, officially adopted about 3 weeks ago. Fallie is such a sweet girl and we're so happy to have her. She's a young dog, we're not exactly sure how old she is, but we know she had a family before us. I adopted her from a small shelter that specializes in place dogs that have had trouble finding a home.
She and her day old puppies were dropped of on Sept 12, at a large city no kill shelter. She was taken to live at a vet's office while the puppies grew and could become independent enough to find a home of their own. All the puppies were eventually adopted, but the mommy still had no home of her own.

I found her picture online about two weeks after she had been relocated to the smaller shelter and immediately knew she was the second dog we had been searching for for such a long time. She was very timid when she first came to check out our house; but Ocsi was totally in love with her so I knew we had to keep her! We actually fostered her for a little over a month and a half, so there was time for the dogs to get adjusted and really figure out if they could make it work. I am so happy that we took the time to let the dogs figure each other out, they really balance each other well.

So that's our background for the most part, I'm totally excited about joining the community here!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Love your pictures !!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your CGC!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ArreauStandardPoodle!
Goldie (in the picture above) was our first poodle in the family, she's almost 13 years old! I learned so much from her. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Very cute family you have! Welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! My family used to drive to Chicago from North Dakota every summer when we were kids - my dad is from there (grew up in Melrose Park) and his brother still lives in River Forest. Lots of good memories visiting the windy city and my grandparents!! Beautiful dogs, too! Thanks for the pictures!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi plumcrazy! thanks for the welcome, and the tid-bit about the family!
we moved to Chicago two years ago and really love living by the Lincoln park and the lake! there are fantastic dog beaches here :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks PoodleMom! when the weather's nice I love going to the market on Saturday mornings, its totally a meet and greet for all the dogs and their owners as they shop for the most amazing fresh fruits, vegetables, breads, dairy products and beautiful flowers!
I've ridding my bike almost 7 miles one way just to get there when the weather's nice enough. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
What beautiful dogs you have! And I love your story about your Ocsi. WOW! What a great way to get a dog :) Your little girl looks lovely. Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks gingersnap!
I love red poodles! I was looking for one a few years ago but they were all so expensive. Congrats on the beautiful dog :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks, I think you will find quite a few of us red poodle people here:) along with all the other beautiful colors.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts