Poodle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your information about avoiding doodle breeding going forward is a good clarification.

I haven't checked out your website. However, you should consider that your website is the first impression most of your potential customers will get. You only have one chance to make a good first impression. So, figure out what is most important to you as a breeder and what kind of customer you want. Then make sure everything on your website accurately conveys who you are, and that it sends the right message to the kinds of buyers you want. If you say that you breed for health, but you don't show OFA results...then you won't appeal to buyers who worry about health.

Also, in the business world, there is a concept of "past behavior predicts future behavior." It's commonly used in interviewing job candidates and potential contractors. Basically, it means that people usually act the same way each time they get into a similar situation. The leopard can't change his spots. In your situation, if you are sloppy about paperwork, I as a buyer would ask what else you are sloppy about. Just food for thought.
I understand what you are saying. You are also saying a person can’t learn from mistakes. I don’t agree with you there. We post our genetic testing for all to see on the website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Kara, it is good to hear from breeders trying to improve their practices. I see your website is down right now, but it will be good to see the changes you are making reflected in it when it's back up. One thing that I think would really help to ensure healthy pups is to complete CHIC recommended tests for your breeding adults. Patellas would be my biggest concern. It is good that puppies are checked, but as a buyer I would really want to see that the adults completed their OFA Patellar Luxation examination (min. 1 yr of age). It is an important concern with toy breeds. Additionally, you might want to consider putting a Championship title on your new sire. I notice that Tiny Companions doesn't show their dogs and sells all their puppies with full registration, so putting a title on your dog would really help to ensure that he is of good structure and will improve your line.
Thank you very much for your advise! I checked and the website should be working. I will check into meeting the CHIC guidelines for sure.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Thank you for taking time to address the questions and comments.

I'm not asking that you respond or comment here, this isn't meant as anything but observations, but I can say that if someone asked me about your business today, I'd suggest to them to ask you particularly about your breeding goals:

All of our dogs live in our home and as a family make it a full time thing along with homeschooling our 3 kids
We have (currently) 22 akc registered (not all full grown) toy adults on site. We have one small mini who is 12 pounds-she makes small pups. Her height disqualifies her as being a mini anyway.
If you mean wolf pack as; my dogs follow me all day long,
At first I had a funny mental picture of a train of 22 toy poodles following you around your home. Then I thought, wait, 22 toy poodles? It's not clear to me what you meant by not all full grown and yet are adults? I think that's puppies plus adults?

(Separately, just noting that if your mini is the result of a breeding between two genetic mini's, then whether undersize or oversize, she's still a mini.)

In order to get where we want to be, lots of breeding must be done.
Where is it that you want to be that "lots of breeding" must be done? What's your goal in your breeding program? How many litters a year are your breeding dogs producing now?

(As Paul Reiser would say to Helen Hunt in Mad About You, "there is no tone" meant here.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a negative experience with KC Poodles. She wasn't upfront with me about what dogs were available when I inquired, was basically hiding a dog that fit what I was looking and then sold that dog that I wanted and asked for first, to someone else. It turned me off from the whole situation but ended up getting one from My Cartoon Pets in California, which was a great experience!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and your pet!
I wish you both long, happy, healthy lives together.
If you ever have any questions, PF is here, and down the road, if you ever want a recommendation for a breeder that does health testing on the sire and dam before breeding, we have lots of resouces.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts