Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm a lifelong mini poodle owner about to get a new companion after the loss of my last friend. It's been a long time since I looked for a mini and this forum has been great for finding reputable breeders. I would be grateful to get more feedback about DiMarnique's and Eriand in particular. I noticed that it's the same one member that recommends Eriand, does anybody else have feedback on her and her puppies? I love that this member talks highly about their temperament. I also saw on the AKC page that Eriand is not a breeder of merit, nor is on poodlebreeders.com, is that a red flag? Eriand has beautiful black minis, which are my color of preference. DiMarnique is mostly breeding reds and creams right now, but red is great too. May I slip a controversial question as I would LOVE your feedback: when I said I was considering a red mini several people have told me that reds have a more difficult temperament. Is there any truth to that or just myth? I've only had a silver and a black and they couldn't have been more perfect. Thanks in advance for your help! Very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
I like to see a Breeder of Merit designation, but all that proves is they that have titled 4 dogs that they have bred or co-bred. I looked at AKC.org and now see that the titles don’t necessarily have to be in conformation.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome, Cassiope! I have heard only great things about the two breeders you mention, but no first hand experience.

Red is not my cup of tea, but if it were, I wouldn't worry about color stereotypes.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
you may want to look at poodlesonline dot com. i watch their site because the breeders who list must meet certain standards re health testing. this does not, of course, mean all are perfect. but health matters. there is a breeder advertising red and black minis right now. this is not a recommendation, since i know nothing else about the breeder. just info you may wish to follow up on.

Reactions: Cassiope

·
Registered
586 Posts
Colour has nothing to do with temperament, bad breeding does that. I have a red mini, smartest and sweetest dog i’ve Owned. His temperament is what the standard is for mini poodles. Red was/is popular for a while so lots of unscrupulous breeders started just breeding them without guidelines, I think this started the myth. No idea on both of the breeders you are looking at but I only see glowing re Jews about them here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome thank you! I feel embarrassed I even asked about colors & temperament but I felt I had to have knowledgeable people can the lid on it. My heart has always been with little blacks minis as was my last one so I’m probably going that way although reds are gorgeous too. I will keep you posted as I’m hoping it might happen soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And maybe one more question: I’ve always been able to meet and pick my puppies but this time around it seems that most breeders do not let you meet the puppy before 8 weeks for health reasons. They send pictures but you are just meeting the puppy the day you pick them up. Is that also most people’s experience? One of the breeders I contacted wants to pick the puppy for me, I’m not against it but never experienced that before. I am sorry to be inquisitive but I seem to have options with different breeders and I really want to be thorough since I am picking my new best friend for the nest 15+ years hopefully!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It's a good question, and many times better breeders will pick for puppy buyers. They will often have certain puppies from a litter unavailable to pet buyers because show prospects are held for buyers/co-owners who will exhibit in conformation.

There will sometimes be a choice from certain puppies in a litter. If one has spent a good deal of time getting to know a breeder, and a purpose is planned for the puppy, e.g., an obedience prospect like Lily CD RE's Javelin, then chances are one has a lot more choice.

I trust a good breeder to choose my puppy based on having gotten to know me and learning what activities I hope to engage in with the pup, knowing my lifestyle, etc. Because the breeder has been with those puppies their entire lives so far, and s/he knows the parents and lineage. That breeder is in the best position to choose, imho :).

My last puppy (not a Poodle, but this is pretty universal) came from such a breeder. Even she flew across the country to me. Perfect choice and I adored her. A couple years later at our national specialty, I got to meet her breeder in person-such a treat.

I didn't have a choice with Oliver either, come to think of it. Well, take him or leave him. He was four and his first family couldn't keep him, and he landed on CL. I took him after maybe a half hour of meeting him and the dad in his first family, who met me at a train station. Ol threw a fit leaving his dad, poor baby-he adored his first family, but he was leaving with someone or perhaps even animal control if not me. It's worked out :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
dimarnique poodle

i actually went through the same thing as cassio..i researched breeders cause the last time i purchased my last girl, my breeder Barbara burdick passed away. which was very sad cause all my dogs came from her. Great person and great poodles. so for the mini breeder i choose was marnique. she loves the dogs and easy to talk to. but do what your gut says. all my 4 pups werw chosen by barb i loved everyone. just pick a breeder you feel comfortable with..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Milo was picked for us. It does make sense to have a breeder pick a pup since they have been spending time with the litter since day 1. She picked right cause he is the right fit for us. I understand the hesitation with having a breeder pick for you though. If the breeder is close to you, you can ask if you can see them earlier than 8weeks. If not, most either will ship a puppy or you get them at 8/9weeks. I visited milo’s Litter once before gotcha day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up sending a deposit to Eriand this weekend for her last black mini. I don't get to pick him but he looks so amazingly cute on the pics she sent and I am happy with what I found about her on this forum. Also on her FB page former clients seem very happy and share pics of the dogs they got from her. Because of upcoming travels I can only get him at the end of August, he'll be almost 12 weeks, it's breaking my heart, but she said it won't be a problem, she was very nice and accommodating. The parents are Angie and Ezra! Maybe they are litter brothers??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm trying to understand that great breeders will know their dogs best and will be able to decide which family is best for each dog. These are all very reassuring posts. Thank you for for your great help, I am feeling really good about the process now, and I'm happy that there are very good responsible breeders out there.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Congrats to you and the others getting puppies! :cheers2: A good breeder is more important than the individual puppy, imho. And 12 weeks is still a perfect age to get your puppy. He will be further along in the house training process and hopefully the breeder will get him out and about to get a good start on the socializing. You'll still have 4 weeks before the critical socialization period ends :)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
What MaizieFrosty said :). I got my little girl at 13 weeks, matter of fact. We jumped into puppy classes and I took her everywhere I could, and she was incredibly well socialized! One can't discount a great breeder's work in exposing puppies and also creating planned breedings that work for the good of the breed, and the individual puppies.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My boy is from Danube, but both of his parents were originally bred by DiMarnique. He is a wonderful puppy and I couldn't be happier with him. He was breeder selected and I wouldn't have it any other way. His personality varies so much throughout the day. He goes from landshark to sweet puppy to fast asleep in cycles, and so there is no telling what impression I would have had if I was trying to select a puppy myself. I much prefer to trust the breeder who has been with them from day one. A good breeder will work with you to make sure you're getting the pup best suited to your lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
have 2 reds now that have faded to cream and apricot, have had blacks, whites and see do difference in personalities. Although when they are the real red, they are an eye catcher.

·
Premium Member
23,244 Posts
I don't know if I am the person you are thinking about with respect to Eriand related posts, but my mom has an apricot mpoo from Eriand (who I co own). I went with her on meet the pups day and gotcha day. The pups are home raised. We dealt with the current owner's mom who was lovely. I have a private trainer friend who has done pet training for a number of Eriand dogs and I also know a woman who has had a number of Eriand mpoos. My mom's boy is exactly the right dog for her and the other people I know with Eriand dogs are happy repeat customers and the trainer I know has always found the dogs to be nice to work with.

Reactions: Cassiope
1 - 20 of 31 Posts