Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I actually joined this forum to hopefully do some research on the breed. Standard Poodles have always been on my "list" for a future dog, but up until fairly recently, I was convinced that I wanted a herding breed for agility and other sports. However, after working in a raw pet food store where I've been able to meet countless dogs and also now living in a city where there are more breeds around, I've found myself a bit underwhelmed by herding breeds and really enjoying breeds like poodles and labs for their more obnoxious energy.

This puppy would still be a sports dog, but I think a Standard Poodle's general temperament would be more of a match for me compared to the herding breeds I looked at. I'm obsessed with bouncy, happy-go-lucky clowns and that is the vibe I get from them. I also enjoy their size as I'm about 5'9" and since I currently own a papillon, it would be nice to not break my back rewarding during training. :p

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm not good at giving info regarding doing sports with standard poodles but there are many on here the do agility with their dogs. I am sure you will hear from them soon. I am older and did not get my 1st standard poodle until last February . I've had many dogs, labs, hotties, gsd, shih tzu, chihuahuas, and mini schnauzers. My poodle has been my biggest challenge. I think my abilities at this point, have something to do with that, LOl. Keep in mind with a poodle there is lots of grooming. I'm sure you will get good advise here and I also sure a stop will make an excellent partner.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
We have two standard poodles and a German Shepherd dog (not the first one). Although many people look at GSD and think working dog, they are of course really herding dogs. And boy are they herding dogs. Peeves used to herd Lily when they were both youngsters. He has also taken a very long time figuring out that chickens are not herdable. When I get home he scoops up a toy and paces laps around and around the house. Oh and they aren't really German Shepherd dogs, they are German Shedders! I love our GSD boy and he does a great job keeping the chickens safe from back yard predators and I am sure has dissuaded nefarious characters around the property a time or two, but for a working partner the poodles are the best. I've done obedience and rally with all of our dogs. The GSD is like handling the Titanic after you've already seen the iceberg, but the poodles are both like sailing America's Cup yachts. Knee problems have prevented me from continuing with agility, but I know lots of agility poodles (all sizes) and they are all very talented.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the insight!

As far as grooming goes, I am a little unsure on that aspect but I would plan on keeping the coat trimmed relatively short and would probably plan on grooming myself the majority of the time although I'd still take them to the groomer's on a somewhat regular basis for the experience... particularly when they were a puppy.

Interesting to note about the difference between your GSD and poodle when it comes to training! I really like how exuberant all the poodles I've seen are. I'm not too worried about the challenge since I already take in-person agility classes with my papillon and I take online FDSA courses as well, but it'll be neat to work with a new dog instead of just my current dog.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
If you can handle a lively little Papillon you can handle a poodle. I do some FDSA webinars and other stuff. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is definitely lively even at nearly 8 years old! I got her when I was 15 so we have done a lot of learning together. :) That brings me to another question... how do Standard Poodles tend to be with little dogs? That's a big consideration to me as, while I know a lot of it will be socialization and management on my end, I'm always curious to hear of others' experiences.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
My mom's mpoo is on the small side and I do have to say I think he finds our male dogs a bit overwhelming, but he gets on fine with Lily.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect Cali will find them very overwhelming at first! I plan on being proactive with management though and I'm hoping they'll develop peaceful coexistence. My family dog growing up was a cocker spaniel and Cali used to love sneaking on top of him to cuddle when he was already passed out... so I'm hopeful she could have a similar relationship with another dog once that dog learns that she's a fragile, sensitive flower. :p

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Over the years I have had a variety of house dogs of all sizes. I have never had a problem with a big dog hurting a little dog. I'll never forget my big greyhound male carefully playing with some tiny Chihuahua puppies. He was ever so careful to watch where he put his big feet and he would lie down so they could crawl all over him! I've had some big male standard poodles, too, who were very gentle and careful with Chihuahuas and Italian greyhounds.

Our current set of dogs includes a big, clumsy Labrador retriever and a small miniature poodle. They play exuberantly - Zoe the poodle is agile enough to dodge when Opal is running around.

I have always talked to my big dogs about being careful with the little ones. That may sound silly, but they do understand.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
She is definitely lively even at nearly 8 years old! I got her when I was 15 so we have done a lot of learning together. :) That brings me to another question... how do Standard Poodles tend to be with little dogs? That's a big consideration to me as, while I know a lot of it will be socialization and management on my end, I'm always curious to hear of others' experiences.
My spoos tend to be very gentle and very tolerant of my cranky small dogs. While I don't think it's ideal to mix small dogs and rambunctious larger dogs, if you are dog savvy and proactive about management, I think you'll do okay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's all good to know!

I'd definitely be on top of management and they'd never be left alone unsupervised. In an ideal world, Cali would be an only dog until she passes away but she's currently 7 and since her paternal grandmother lived until 19, I want her to make 20 and I don't want to wait 13 years for another dog haha.

I'm hoping the breeder would be able to match us with a puppy who takes correction (from other dogs; I don't use +P in training) well as even though I plan on utilizing timeouts if the puppy harasses Cali, it'd be good if they responded well to Cali's cues and I know some puppies are better than others. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely not! All +R here. ? I’d just use the concept of -P sparingly (like the timeouts I mentioned if the puppy is harassing Cali after Cali has told them to stop) but that is much different than +P and doesn’t have the potential of harming my relationship with my dog!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Definitely not! All +R here. ? I’d just use the concept of -P sparingly (like the timeouts I mentioned if the puppy is harassing Cali after Cali has told them to stop) but that is much different than +P and doesn’t have the potential of harming my relationship with my dog!
:adore: :clap2: That's what I do too :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts