Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is Pacey, my first dog (!), a phantom miniature poodle puppy from Songbird. He is currently four and a half months, and a total ball of energy and fun (and trouble). I feel so lucky that he is mine, trouble and all ;)

If anyone has trainer recommendations in LA I would owe you my life! I made the mistake of trying Bark Busters, which was a disaster. I'm obsessed with the McCann Dog videos on YouTube, and that's definitely the vibe I'm going for. Truly it feels like finding a good trainer is more difficult than finding a good therapist!!!

Would also love a puppy playdate for any other Angelenos out there :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi and welcome. Pacey is a very cute bundle of fluff! Good luck with your trainer search.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Pacey! He looks to be quite a character :).

I'm not familiar with McCann training methods and having a bit of a vision issue today, so I'll need to wait til tomorrew after things clear up to view some videos. I tried to watch the Stop Puppy Biting and it looked like she was leash popping/pulling and collar tightening to stop the pup from biting. If I'm seeing correctly (not easy today as I said), I'd call that a negative approach, which I'm not a fan of.

Two other things give me pause. First is this statement on their website:
In Just A Few Weeks, Your Dog Becomes A Well-Behaved Family Member!

The second is that nowhere on their site or anywhere online that I've seen so far mention what their training method or philosophy is.

I just posted this on another new members thread. Finding trainers and classes is a bit hard to come by atm.

Not sure how helpful this will be but I started thinking of how to find a Positive focused trainer, thought of lily cd re which led me to CGC trainers and that led me to this page. A CGC trainer may not be what you need, but if you can find one or two in your area, they might be able to suggest some trainers or classes that might be helpful.

CGC
Training Resources – American Kennel Club

CGCU
Finding CGCU Trainers, Classes and Evaluators – American Kennel Club

Another possible resource is The Poodle Club of Southern California

Then I thought of some other resources I've run across in my internet ramblings and thought of this website. Karen Pryor is known for clicker training which is a Positive method of training. Again, clicker training specifically may not be the method you'd choose, but if you can make contact, someone may be able to suggest some trainers or classes.

KPA CTP Certified Training Partners Online Directory Of Dog Trainers
View profiles of KPA DTP program graduate CTP certified dog trainers from around the world. Peruse our online directory to find a top tier dog training instructor near you.

karenpryoracademy.com

I'm sure more folks will drop by shortly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What a cutie! I also love the McCann dog training videos. If you like them, you will probably like Dr. Ian Dunbar as well. Peggy the Parti on here shared two of his ebooks that lead me to watching his videos and I love his methods and his whole ideology around training dogs! I am on the other side of the country so no help with trainers, good luck in your search!

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Pacey is super cute! Welcome to you both. :)

After hearing today that dear member Click-N-Treat was recently KPA certified, I browsed a bit here and liked what I saw:

I recommend speaking with at least a few trainers before making your pick, and then listening to your gut after your first session. You really want a trainer that specializes in modern methods. Look for terms like R+ or positive reinforcement. Be wary of trainers that describe their methods as "Balanced." Poodles in general are a soft, sensitive breed and puppies especially shouldn't require aversives.

I'll be honest - a peek at one of those McCann videos gave me pause. I'm not sure if they're trying to do leash pops, but there's no reason to ever haul on a dog's neck like that.

For online resources, I recommend Spirit Dog or Ian Dunbar (both offer online courses). Zak George is also a good one to watch just for general guidance on how to interact with a puppy and establish a good foundation for your relationship.

And if you've not already, I highly encourage you to read this:

At Pacey's age, nothing is more urgent than providing him with positive socialization experiences. Everything else will build on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts