Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I used to own a silver miniature poodle named Bebe before she succumbed to kidney failure. I haven't owned a dog since (almost 10 years!), but I am hoping to find two poodle puppies to call my own.
With luck, I'll be able to find some good info here.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome. Best of luck in your search. As a breeder, though, I highly recommend that you only bring home one puppy at a time. Give that one puppy all of your attention and love and training. Once it is settled and grown up a bit, you can bring home a second puppy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't it be better to keep two litter mates together? That would make the transition easier I thought...
Also, it not just me training the puppies. We have two, equally dedicated people here to train and love the puppies together.
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have a black mini puppy (7 months now) and I can honestly say the thought of two at once sounds very hard! I have also heard that two littermates can be a little difficult because they potentially may bond more closely to each other than you, however, I know some people have done it with success. My personal recommendation would be one now, then think about a second pup when the first is more than a year old.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The problem when you get two puppies (especially littermates) is that they are more likely to bond with each other rather than you. And even with 2 people, 2 puppies will be tons of work. Heck, for 2 people, 1 puppy is a lot of work.
If it were me, I would get 1 puppy, get through house training, obedience, etc then when that dog is around a year old, get another puppy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok. That makes a lot of sense! I'm so happy that I posted here! You guys have been very helpful. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had 2 German Shepherds that were littermates, but I did not get them at the same time. I got the first, Harley at 3 months, and went back for her sister at 4 months. Her sister had been shipped, and the person never paid for her. (So the story goes.) The breeder got her back, and I was wanting a "playmate" for Harley. Harley was already doing quite well with training, (those shepherds were so easy) that she kind of "taught" the other! (Chelsea.) Those dogs had a blast together! I have pictures of them carrying the same stick through the yard, wrestling, you name it. Poor Harley was just a mess though, many, many health problems and had to be put down because of kidney failure at age 7. Chelsea lived to be 13. I had 2 cats and then got a dachshund puppy, and they all kept her company! It was so sad the way she looked for Harley when she was gone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a heartbreaking story. But it does sound like they had seven great years together! It's so cute that one taught the other, like, "no no, you can't go potty there!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts