Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: Dream coming true....one week till pick up baby standard pup...light red. All genetic testing cleared etc, good temperament, and wonderful handling.
Have one week to get tools and supplies. Send me your “must haves” redommendations. Have concern shampooing removes oil build up and not strip skin...need to bath weekly if possible....share wisdom please.
Thank You in Advance for help. Will post pics when he is home?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Well of course you will need, collar and leash, food & water bowls (not plastic) and a crate. I like the midwest 42inch, comes with a diver and if you search on Amazon you can find a fairly good deal. I also have a nail clipper and a cheap dremel for his nails. A brush and a comb. I take my standard every 4 weeks to be fully groomed, in the beginning we went every 2-3 weeks to get him use to being groomed, at that time it was just a bath, face, feet & fanny. I have not attempted to groom him myself, though I did invest in a grooming table, so I do put him on it at least 1x a week now to lightly go over his nails. I have not bathed him as I don't have an appropriate place , while I could use the bathtub I couldn't rinse him well enough and that is important. I also have a dryer for him, which I also have not yet used. I do hope one day to do some in-between grooming myself. Others on here can give you more info as this is my 1st standard and I'm still learning.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
All of the above plus a couple of puzzle toys like kongs or these https://www.westpaw.com/dog-toys/puzzle/toppl-treat-toy which our dogs all prefer to kongs.

Why do you plan to bathe your pup every week? Poodles are pretty clean and generally do some self grooming too. I generally bathe my spoos once or twice a month.

Reactions: KevinsKinsey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bathing

Some of my research indicated that doggy smell comes from the oil building up that poodles naturally have. This dog is going to be my hearing assist dog and I need him to sleep right by me etc. I have some sensitivity to smell. I know this sounds picky but I am trying to avoid problems and get into a routine.
What I read was that by the third week..the build up is attracting dust, and other things...creating the smell. So the poodle does not smell....the build up of oil causes the smell. I started looking at shampoos and already found one with colliodal silver in it...no bacteria and prevents any skin problems developing.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Thanks for that explanation. I suspect that you will find that your pup won't smell as much as you are anticipating. You probably will find that you can do fewer baths if you are consistent about regular combing and brushing to get the loose stuff our of your pup's coat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...Yes! I was hoping for specifics about which brand of brush and all that. Willing to invest in best quality tools.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
I personally love this brush which was recommended to my by Javelin's breeders who are also excellent groomers.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Systems-Oblong-Wooden-Handle/dp/B001VPCIIA/ref=asc_df_B001VPCIIA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144469268&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8512819972095624963&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004509&hvtargid=pla-307099277982&psc=1

Look for Chris Christensen products for combs and grooming products. You can often find them on sales. I use Ice on Ice to detangle and Black on Black shampoo for my black spoos.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats on your pup! I am VERY allergic to everything, dogs included, but poodles give me no problem and they have no odor (from their skin/coat, anyway LOL).
I just got my second poodle, also a red! She is in my lap asleep as I type this. Like zooeysmom I have allergies to grasses, trees, dust, cats and dogs...
I am not bothered by my poodles either! I was also worried about washing them but my first one only smells “doggy” every 3 or 4 weeks. You will be surprised. I did wash him more often at first to get him used to it, and I took him to the groomers for a visit weekly, etc. Now I do my own grooming and a professional groom every 6 months.
Enjoy! Pictures please:)

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Add a first aid kit to your shopping list, a tag with your phone number, a slip lead. Consider pet insurance after your pup’s wellness visit if you don’t have a dedicated health savings slush fund. You can build one up, while premiums are low. Excited for you and hope Gotcha Day is all you’ve hoped for:)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Congratulations on your dream coming true - what a gift :)! I can't wait to see pics.

For frequent bathing, Coat Handler Hypoallergenic and Coat Handler conditioner (both well-diluted prior to application, but don't store diluted product as it goes off-any brand will), would be good for frequent use. Very mild, but very effective in my experience.

I buy directly from the company:
http://www.groomerschoice.com.

Any shampoo you choose, be sure to dilute well at the time of the bath :).

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I recommend that you purchase the book 'Poodle Clipping and Grooming: The International Reference' by Shirlee Kalstone although it is an older book it is still considered relevant, and will guide you in what you will need, and how to care for your poodles coat.

I bathe my girl every 7-10 days but not because she smells as she has no 'doggy odor' but because longer coats tend to matt less if they are kept clean (she is in a longer style clip)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts