Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am excited to be part of your group. I have never owned a dog. The husband, kidlet, cat and I are beginning to think about dog ownership and I've always loved the standard poodle. I have lots of questions. I'm sure these questions get old, so sorry if they've been asked a million times. I've been searching the forums, but thought it would be nice to get even more feedback. Here are the questions I have so far.
We have only a 4-foot-tall fence. I heard that standard poodles are jumpers. So, do I need to keep her inside all day, and then just walk her a couple times a day? Or, is that not enough...meaning...do I need to let her loose in the yard for a couple hours a day? I'm worried about letting her loose in the yard - so let me know if you think this just might not be the breed for me since we only have a 4-foot fence.
Also - I saw a 5-month old sp rescue dog that I've been thinking about. Is it risky to get a rescue poodle? She's been tested for heartworms. I do not need a show dog and am not interested in an older dog (because I want to train her when she is young...especially potty training). I just want a good companion.
I realize I need to take her in for grooming once a month and that is ok. We live right by Petsmart.
Well, that is all I can think of for now. Thank you for you helping.
-S

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is incredibly helpful and kind, so don't worry about asking questions! I can't really answer any that wonderfully about standard poos, since I have a toy/mini and I'm new to poodles myself... but just make yourself at home and I'm sure everyone will be more than willing to help! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Welcome!! I'm fairly new here myself, but I can tell you my personal experiences with fences and standard poodles - others may have different stories... My daughter has a standard poodle who turned 1 year in September and I just received my first standard poodle puppy who is only 9+ weeks old. I also have fostered an adult male standard poodle for a few months last winter and I have two other dogs... I have never had a dog jump over my 4 foot fence...

That doesn't mean that dogs couldn't jump it - it would be quite easy to jump for a canine athlete, I'm sure; but the two adult poodles I've let play in the yard have never even attempted it. My daughter got her dog when she was only 8 weeks old so she's grown up with the fence and doesn't even think of leaving the yard. The male standard we fostered last winter loved to run in the yard (through the snow), and he was an adult when we got him; and yet he never attempted to leap the fence either.

As far as the rescue, I don't have experience with that so I hope others can help you. Good luck in your search and when you get your new baby make sure you post pictures!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Rescues are great if you have some history of the dog and if you fond one young, then you should be able to train what you need. I encourage it.

I am not a show person either........or yet I should say, maybe someday - but the expectations are much higher and your wanting a companian pet only, so I say do it! This slows down BYB and you save a life!

Poodles if trained - do well with any fence if trained properly. I would not leave it out while not supervised until it would be MUCH older. I prefer inside dogs, just my preference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much! This really helps a lot. I'm still taking some time to really consider dog ownership. I'm really anxious, because I've never owned a dog before. At this point, it feels like such a big decision to me. I'm really scared I'll regret it. Although, I'm a huge animal lover, so I doubt I'd regret it - but like I said...just anxious.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I prefer inside dogs, just my preference.
I should clarify, too. My dogs are all inside dogs - when we're inside, they're inside... they're allowed on my furniture and they sleep in bed with me (except for baby Lucy until I'm confident she'll be safe outside of the crate during the night.) Dogs in general, and poodles in particular, don't do well relegated to a lonely yard...

However, when the weather's nice they like to be outside in our safely fenced yard to play or lounge in the sunshine... This is only allowed when humans are at home, and usually we're either outside with them or watching from the window - we have a walk out basement and the instant one of the dogs asks to come back inside, we're opening that door. My neighbors love our dogs because they're never left outside without supervision and aren't left outside to bark their heads off!

All that being said, our fence is still only 4 feet high and I've never had a dog attempt to jump it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum and kudos to you for considering a rescue.

I only owned a couple of dogs in my life before my sister asked me if I wanted to be her partner in owning poodles that would be home raised, shown, and bred. I was also apprehensive but jumped in with both feet and have never looked back. It has been a hugely rewarding experience for me and for my family. We have learned a lot from these beautiful and intelligent creatures and have learned a lot about nurturing a dog to be healthy in mind and body. They are our constant companions and our new children. I say that because like children, they need to have care and attention every day. We have a routine that works well for all of us.

Our situation is different from yours in that we live on the mountain side in a small Vermont town and have ten acres of land pratically in the middle of nowhere. Our two standards are allowed to run outside all day with our golden retriever. There is no fencing to deal with.

I do know that both dogs are capable of jumping quite high if they want to. One of them was jumping a 2 1/2 foot gate to get at the cat food supply but once I raised it up to over three feet, she stopped jumping it and she couldn't get under it. That's quite an accomplishment considering that she is extremely food motivated.

Hopefully other members will have better advice for you. Best of luck in making your decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much. It is fun meeting all of you, hearing your neat stories, and seeing photos of your beautiful poodles. I have learned a lot so far! I am sure I will think of more questions later. Thank you for helping as I work through this decision process.
-S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts