Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
My name is Josh. My wife and I have a 4 year old black Standard named Bear. We've had him since he was 10 weeks old. He's our only child at the moment (children of the human variety are in the plans in the future). I look forward to meeting some great people and poodles!

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome to the Poodle Forum! Hope you like it here. :)

Bear is a good-lookin' dog!
From that picture it looks like he might actually be a blue.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi Josh, nice to meet you! Welcome to the poodle forum family!
Bear is very handsome, I wish I had a standard! I own a toy silver
male poodle named "Scooter," and a new Cairn terrier puppy named
"Mr. Cheezle," I got him as an early Christmas Present from the hubby.

I have a baby due in 9 more weeks, my husband and I didn't plan
it, but it is a blessing. :)

Looking forward to more pics of Bear! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the Poodle Forum! Hope you like it here. :)

Bear is a good-lookin' dog!
From that picture it looks like he might actually be a blue.
Thanks!
"a blue" I've never heard of a blue before. That's very interesting. One of his parents was black, the other silver. The first couple years he was solid black. As he's gotten older more and more of the silver shows up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome to this forum Josh, wife and Bear. Noticed a rural type background in your pic. Do you mind me asking where you are from? We are from Central California. Bear is a nice looking dog, and I agree with JAKO, he does look like he might be blue or even a silver. My black female is almost a year and a half, she had one white parent and one black parent. I have noticed a few white hairs coming in here and there throughout her coat recently, am wondering if she is going to change color also.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks!
"a blue" I've never heard of a blue before. That's very interesting. One of his parents was black, the other silver. The first couple years he was solid black. As he's gotten older more and more of the silver shows up.
I agree he looks like a blue standard to me! :)

BLUE:
Is a dilute of black. It carries the fading gene. Blue puppies are born
black and turn blue by two years of age. Blues take the longest time to
clear. Puppies at a young age will have brown highlights showing they are
a blue not black puppy. By 2 years of age the dog will turn a dark gun
metal gray. There are varying shades of blue as in any color. Blue should
have black points and dark brown eyes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree he looks like a blue standard to me! :)

BLUE:
Is a dilute of black. It carries the fading gene. Blue puppies are born
black and turn blue by two years of age. Blues take the longest time to
clear. Puppies at a young age will have brown highlights showing they are
a blue not black puppy. By 2 years of age the dog will turn a dark gun
metal gray. There are varying shades of blue as in any color. Blue should
have black points and dark brown eyes.
You guys are awesome! I've been on here only an hour or so and I've learned something new!! Sweet!
Did that info come from a website or something... just wondering because if it did I'd like to look at the rest of the info on there.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You guys are awesome! I've been on here only an hour or so and I've learned something new!! Sweet!
Did that info come from a website or something... just wondering because if it did I'd like to look at the rest of the info on there.
Your welcome, were all here to help each other out! I know
I've learned ALOT since joining here myself, some really experienced
poodle owners here- especially Sivaro who breeds and shows,
I've learned a lot from her especially.

Yes, here is the page I got that info from:
http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/poodlecoatcolors.html

Lots of other useful info on that site also, one of the best poodle
sites out there in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome...Bear looks like a sweetie.
I am not sure about the blue tho.
My Gaby was a true blue and started as a puppy with black hair,BUT...her nose was always silver to blue.Never completely black all over.
It took about 3 years for her to fade to "blue" completely.
But hey....blue,black or any ther colour...all poodles are great

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi Bear :wave:, your boy looks lovely. I have a blue standard pup and by the time he came to me (8 weeks) his muzzle had started to change just a real little bit around his nose. And is progressively working it's way up towards his eyes. He now has kinda streaks in his top knot and his legs just above his paws have started to change too. His dad is a silver and mum is white. I am no expert but I hope T has as lovely colour as your boy when he has finished changing. :smile:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Welcome !

I would have to agree with the other's. We officially have a adult blue standard Poodle owner here. He is very pretty one too.

When I got my standard pup Eli, I was told his mother was a black. Well a few months later I saw her in person (the mother dog) and she was really a blue. The lady I bought him from thought she faded for some reason at about 2 yrs. Eli's father was a creme and his grandpa and great grandpa are blacks.
I don't see any signs of my boy turning blue and he is almost 15 months but I hear more and more people say they didn't turn until about 2 yrs.

Now since you have said the same thing, Im wondering if around 2 yrs Eli may turn too. Did you ever notice your boy having a brownish tint in his hair underneath his feet or anywhere else?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm... now that you mention it, I do remember that he had a slightly brownish tint to his hair at the base....:alberteinstein:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi
Welcome. My boy Wrigely is not quite 4 months old and he came to me as a black but after reading on this site - I'm beginning to think he is a blue as well. He has the brown tinge to his fur and around his nose he is lighter than the rest of his muzzle.
If you look up the website that Mercy moon posted - it has so much good information. That might help you decide.
BTW- I noticed you joined the standard poodle forum too. We have a few members here that are on that one as well. It is fun to check back and forth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts