Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I have three dogs (two Italian Greyhounds and a Whippet) that I show in agility (and have done some breed, obedience, lure coursing and rally). We are hoping to get a Mini Poodle next year sometime and I am hoping to learn a LOT (especially grooming!) from all of you. Here are my kids (this is their Christmas photo from 2008).

Marsha

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwww what sweeties they are. I had a whippet for long time, he did tons of lure courseing, obedience, and some agility. He was fun, I miss him. Glad to see more people out there doing things with IG's too, the four I had were so spacey, I was training/handling them for a client and one belonged to my mother. As much as I liked them I wasn't tooo upset to see them all go home. One one acted like a real dog at all.
I can't wait to watch all the great things you'll do with a poodle, mine is training a lot easier than my sighthounds lol she doesn't try and out smart me. :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hello and what handsome hounds you have! Welcome to the forum! You will find a few of us have many more than one breed and we love them all!

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and we love pictures...of anything...doesn't have to be a poodle...dogs, kids, cats, scenery...we aren't too hard to please!

I love that picture...did you have a squeaky in your pocket? LOL

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The kids are very good about photos (they are used to being shot! :hahaha: ).

I am really hoping to learn a lot about grooming (obviously I have not had to do that with my current crew!).

Does anyone have any breeders that they would recommend in the midwest (I am looking for performance - mainly agility - temperment and health are my biggest requirements).

Marsha

(oh yea... we got the photo pretty easily - Brian was behind the camera and I was the dog handler - throwing the treat container back behind the camera to get those ears up and expressions)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome!!! We have a great crew here everyone is really nice & loves to teach. Just jump in & have fun!!!

Btw, that is a really great picture, you have a nice looking crew. It is really cute & neat how you got them all so expressive!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I have three dogs (two Italian Greyhounds and a Whippet) that I show in agility (and have done some breed, obedience, lure coursing and rally). We are hoping to get a Mini Poodle next year sometime and I am hoping to learn a LOT (especially grooming!) from all of you. Here are my kids (this is their Christmas photo from 2008).

Marsha
beautiful dogs! welcome! How did y ou get them to sit like that? wow they are obedient!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pamela - They are very good - we take a lot of photos (I shoot agility trials here in the midwest) and they are quite used to it. Of course, good treats don't hurt! LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
That sure is a beautiful photo of your dogs.....sigh.

Welcome and I am looking forward to your posts about your quest for a poodle!

~Mari (keeper of Star the apricot miniature poodle)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
you mentioned you wanted a mini poo and I am wondering, from lookng at your beautiful dogs, if you know it will be on your lap - all the time - ha ha - I can see a standard running with your guys! But maybe you want a lap dog too - we have two of each - love em all!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could not imagine a standad with my guys - way too big for my taste - I like my "little" dogs. Those dogs in the photo are Italian Greyhounds (on the right) and only weigh about 14 pounds - about the same size as a mini. The one on the left is a Whippet - he weighs about 33 pounds. The IGs are total lap dogs and are a lot like poodles in that way - they are total people dogs and are with/on you all the time. The sleep under the covers with us at night too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think a mini would be great with your guys. I have an afghan hound female named Sophie and she runs with all our dogs.

She is a bigger sight hound so of course all her "rough play" is with the standards, but she has fun playing the "chasing and running away" game with the toys and minis.

I have to be very careful to never leave any of the dogs alone outside, but especially when she could decide any of them where a "bunny" and take off after one.

She has only acted like that one time when she first came...she took off after my mostly white parti-color girl and I had to yell at her. About the time I said SOPHIE NO, Peanut turned around and told her in no uncertain terms she WAS NOT a bunny and Sophie has never tried it since.

I think a mini would be the perfect size for you and your kids! Minis can range so much in size in height and weight that I am sure you can find one that will be perfect for playing with the kids and laying on your lap as well!

Might want to shy away from a white one...methinks that Sophie might have mistaken Peanut for a plastic bag. I think that Soph might have some running experince by the way she pulls whenever she hears plastic flapping.

Of course if your guys are used to chasing a squawker type lure I guess white is fine! LOL

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks IPP - I think a mini would be great too. I don't worry too much about the "white" thing. One of my first IGs was almost all white and there was not ever any prey drive chasing from my Whippet boy. He's VERY good about that kind of thing.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
wow! I didn't relaize that your dogs were that small! I guess I am thinking of the big greyhounds - that's why I envisioned a small standard - but you are right a mini would be perfect! good luck with finding a new dog!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL - Pamela - a lot of people make that same mistake when they see photos of my guys without anything in the pic to give indication of size.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think I would love IG's. From everything I've read about them - they seem to have a very similar personality to Chinese Cresteds (and I have those). I belong to a Crestie forum as well and I member just got a beautiful "light blue" colored IG (I'm the one calling it that color, I don't know what the correct name of that color would be). SOO stunning! Your dogs are very beautiful too.
Good luck with your future mini!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts