Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently lost my great dane at only 4 years old. I'm still recovering from this shock since he was so young and displayed no signs of having a serious health issue until he was very late stage DCM and nothing could really be done.

Prior to his death, I had already decided that I would not get another great dane for my next dog. I loved him so much but I just thought for my lifestyle I would look at different breeds. I keep coming back to poodles.

I'm not ready yet, so not looking immediately. But I'm sort of investigating to find a very good breeder to build a relationship with. I live in Connecticut but I'm willing to drive quite a ways.

Wish list
- standard size, male
- color ~ mainly looking at silver and apricot
- good temperament for activities- sports, working, hiking, camping, traveling
- breeder is easy to contact, I know everyone is busy but I hate waiting weeks and weeks to hear back
- parents titled in conformation to prove structural soundness and titled in some kind of sport or working to show good working temperament
- some form of early socialization being done, ie puppy culture or similar
- will let me pick up the dog, I know its common but I'm too terrified to ship
- will let me visit the home and meet their dogs
- health testing all the standard things, also genetic diversity is a big bonus

I probably seem crazy but I got my last two dogs from what I'd consider to be "pretty good" breeders and have a lot of problems. My puppy Max was diagnosed with severe mega e at almost immediately after getting him. It's amazing to me that she didn't recognize something was wrong because it was apparent to me from day 1... So he passed at a young age. My boy Eli who just recently died at 4 had a multitude of health issues including food allergies, contact allergies, and ultimately died from congestive heart failure from DCM very suddenly with basically no warning (it was not taurine related, his taurine was on the high end of normal). This was all despite his mom being GCh, dad Ch, and fully health tested parents.... I realize there are no guarantees, but next time around I want to shoot for the best possible breeders who really "get it" about HEALTH. Health is number 1. I just really need my next dog to stay with me for a while. If I loose another one so young I don't know what I'll do.

If anyone has advice on a breeder or how to identify a really good one I'd love to hear it. Thank you guys

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Hi, welcome. I'm so sorry for your loss. And welcome you to Poodle Forum at the same time :).

This is a great place for camaraderie, breeder referrals, and general all things Poodle. There are wonderful breeders not too far from you. Lily CD RE's breeder Madela is in CT, and if memory serves she sometimes has silvers. Catherine can tell you more, but she ticks all your boxes.

Cherie at Arreau with her stunning reds and apricots is way into genetic diversity, an early adopter of the UC Davis protocol. She would be an extremely fine choice for you, and also ticks all the boxes. Go look in pictures at some of her puppy and grown Spoo photos, and fall in love along with most of the rest of us :).

ETA: It's good to plan ahead since great breeders like these also plan way ahead, and there can be a wait period sometimes for puppy buyers. More time to amass products while waiting ;). You're going to want to invest in some grooming tools, I imagine :).

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
I am very sorry for your devastating loss. Terry Farley is a member here and breeds reds and apricots. Red and Apricot Standard Poodle Farleys D Standard He’s in the Pittsburgh area and ticks all the boxes. You will not have any problems with the breeders already mentioned not being responsive. They may not have time for Poodle 101, which is where PF comes in handy, but they will get back to you as soon as possible. I would find your dream breeder and get on a waiting list. I know you will enjoy a poodle and welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Hi, I am so sorry for your loss of your Dane :( How utterly heartbreaking. I'm echoing the others, but Madela immediately came to mind for a silver, and for an apricot, FarleysD and Arreau are great suggestions.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Check out Wool 'n Wind in CT: Wool 'n Wind - Poodles Poodles Poodles

A year or two ago, I had a PM exchange with someone who ended up getting their puppy there and they were delighted. PM me if you are interested in talking with someone who has one of their puppies, PM me and I will see if I can put the two of you in touch.

Congratulations on being so careful in your search. Personally, I would look for the very best breeder you can find, and dogs with the very best temperament, health and structure. Then take whatever color comes your way! I strongly agree that you should visit the breeder and meet the breeding dogs before making a decision.

Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I am sorry for the early and unexpected passing of your GD, way too soon. You won't have to travel far to find a really wonderful standard breeder. Madela Poodles are in Orange, CT and are the excellent breeders of my boy Javelin. Their foundation dogs are Ale Kai. Or you could go north to Massachusetts for Ale Kai. A little further afield is Scheherazade in New Jersy. Aside from my Madela boy I also know lovely standards from Ale Kai and from Scheherazade.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your dane - how heartbreaking. Wonderful suggestions for breeders - and you will really have some fun exploring Poodle Forum - Welcome.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello KMS: So sorry to hear about your loss. It hits us so hard when they leave so unexpectedly and early. I just last March lost my Dalmatian at 4 (seizures) and two weeks later my English Pointer at 8 (broken heart and kidney shut down).
I went from large dog breed to much smaller - and went for a Mini Poodle. He is awesome - it was a really good choice my husband made (I was incapable of any choices at that point).
I think everybody deserves to be loved and entertained by a Poodle - any size. I have had large dogs all my life and they were all awesome but to be honest the Poodle is something else! They are so personable, so emotionally keyed in to humans and of course so smart they really keep you on your toes.
There are lots of really good breeders of Standards - others know much more about that than me. I love show breeders that also do performance work. I think "pet quality" show bred dogs are the absolute best in terms of high quality, health tested and smart puppies. Most of these pups are only "pet" quality because there simply isn't enough time to show every dog (especially in Poodles - which is a whole other level of show dog).
I would suggest to consult the OFA database - you can look up any decently bred dog there. You can also see the recommended tests for the breed and go from there. All good breeders participate in the data base and are very up front about the health tests. I also know there is a poodle breeder website - that lists all the top breeders and their litter plans and a FB group for health tested litters. The info you will find here on this forum is Top notch - the real deal and I would heed any recommendations/ warnings you get here.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
As Moni suggested a show breeder who does other sports too ticks a bonus box. Delana and Mark have shown in obedience and done tracking in the past in addition to showing and handling their dogs (that is Madela in CT). Streetcar is correct that they do silvers too.

I also would recommend FarleysD as mentioned above. They are in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Congratulations on being so careful in your search. Personally, I would look for the very best breeder you can find, and dogs with the very best temperament, health and structure. Then take whatever color comes your way! I strongly agree that you should visit the breeder and meet the breeding dogs before making a decision.
I too am so sorry for your loss. It is like losing one of our children :(

I fully agree with peppersb. When searching for my spoo I thought I wanted a female, any color except white. Period.

I finally realized what I really wanted was a really well bred healthy poodle with a fantastic temperament. Someone convinced me to let go of any other consideration!

In looking only for that, to my surprise I ended up with a white/cream male. He is the most awesome dog I have ever had:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all, wow thank you all for the replies!
Yes I totally agree about the colors, especially with poodles since they dont shed. I wanted a blue great dane when I was searching for my boy, ended up with a breeder that does fawn. He was doing a rare cross color breed between fawn and black for diversity increase. I signed on for a black male, welp I ended up with a fawn male. Life happens! The only issue with the shedding is that all my furniture and decor is all gray and blue! So battling fawn hair everywhere was not my favorite thing but I'd have gladly put up with it for many more years to have him with me! Very small price to pay. But with poodles there isn;t so much an issue. I just mainly dislike brown and white. The rest I'd be pretty open too I just favor the two I mentioned. But I'd be open to any of the other colors. <3

Pic of my baby for you guys </3

I am definitely planning ahead. I have one breder I started talking to a bit, but I haven't committed anything yet. The ones you all mentioned look fantastic too and I will definitely continue my research! It's probably going to take some more time for me to be "ready" so I have time to kill and make sure I made the best decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts