Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting the process of looking for a poodle and have learned so much already from this forum!

In Colorado I've read about JJ's Poodles and Carol Brand who is not breeding. I have independently discovered Le Harrell's Poodles in Co Springs and wonder if anyone has experience with them?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Just a quick glance at their page... I hate that they have a different price for each puppy based on gender and color, and then a full registration price for each puppy to be sold to approved breeders... not every puppy in the litter has the appropriate conformation to be sold as a breeding dog... I am disgruntled to see that on their available puppies page, every single puppy for sale could potentially go to a breeding home. That is just not something that I agree with. And I hope that those puppies aren’t sold to become doodle producers. I didn’t look for health testing or anything else though. That was just the first odd thing that caught my eye.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hello, and welcome!
I have looked at Le Harrell's poodles before and I do not like that they have a different price for each puppy depending upon color and gender. Other than that I think that they would be an okay breeder, but not my first choice.
You might want to try looking on the AKC, or Poodle Club Of America's website to see what poodle breeders they have listed. That is how I found Evie my standard poodle's breeder.
Hope this helps!
Good luck with your search for a puppy!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I get the same feeling on Le Harrells poodles. In their "about" they talk a lot about breeding poodles for service dog work, but everything else about their site kinda puts me off. It seems like mainly they're selecting dogs based on what the trendiest colors are. I also do not like the fact that they sell breeding rights so easily. And even though they talk about breeding dogs specifically to do service work with them, there is no mention of any of the parent dogs involved with any sort of training.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of the feedback. I'm not sure I'm bothered her charging what the market permits for a poodle based on color or gender. If a color is less desirable to the public, why not discount the price? I do understand about the breeding rights.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Welcome! There are lots of distinguished poodle breeders out there. Take some time with this decision. The winners at Westminster have been historically black or white.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Thank you for all of the feedback. I'm not sure I'm bothered her charging what the market permits for a poodle based on color or gender. If a color is less desirable to the public, why not discount the price? I do understand about the breeding rights.
No ethical, reputable breeder would do such a thing. To them, puppies are part of the family and they put a lot of effort, care and money into developing the breed the right way. They don’t see their puppies as «*marketable items*» so no color is more or less important. A good breeder won’t charge more for any color or gender. Maybe so for a show prospect, but as CF said, not all puppies are show quality. Or very rarely.

Trust the people on this forum, we’ve seen many, many horror stories and all sorts of breeders. There’s the good, the bad, and the ugly. This one smells like the bad.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have recommended JJs to people who have asked. I do not know James personally, but from observing him and his dogs at shows he seems to be pretty reputable. Some of the PF members in Colorado have had nice things to say about him. Here are the contact phone numbers for the breeder referral person for the Columbine Poodle Club. Give her a call.
Breeder Referral: Jody Foss | [email protected] | 303-662-8030 | 303-618-0251

·
Registered
66 Posts
We are starting the process of looking for a poodle and have learned so much already from this forum!

In Colorado I've read about JJ's Poodles and Carol Brand who is not breeding. I have independently discovered Le Harrell's Poodles in Co Springs and wonder if anyone has experience with them?

Welcome! Good luck on your search :) what size poodle are you looking for?
I can’t help you with specific breeders as I’m in Canada, but if you’re looking for a poodle and are searching for breeders, see if they list whether or not they are AKC registered or not. IF they are, then call the AKC and tell them the name of the specific breeder and ask if they are in “good standing” or not.

My best advice is to read as much as you can and reach out for help if you need it!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
How far would you be able to travel to pick up your pup? That might help with breeder suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was hoping to keep it within a few hours driving, but the more I learn (and the more my hopes are dashed regarding nearby breeders) the more I'm willing to fly to a puppy and carry her home.

The size I want is either a small standard or a moyan from karbits. I'm quite taken with them actually, and they have some lovely pups available now. But I'm probably not looking to get one for another year. If I got somebody now, it would probably be because the perfect older pup became available. I have a 3-year old, and I want to spread out the exhaustion factor.

Ideally I would like a female red/apricot and some good diversity. Looking through this forum, I'm getting a lot of good ideas.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Oh gosh, for a red or apricot, Terry at FarleysD in PA, Cheri at Arreau in Canada, Tabatha (note spelling) at NOLA in New Orleans, are all excellent and members here who exhibit, test, and who are exemplars of fine, diverse, responsible, and reputable breeders.

I've read good things about Patriot as well, and thought she was in AR, but it appears she's located in MO now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well we went to meet some standard puppies yesterday. They were absolutely gorgeous (although black, but I am leaning toward other colors now anyway ...) and I realized after talking with the breeder and her friend that we are not ready for the grooming a standard poodle would entail.

So I am thinking a miniature? I understand that a standard takes about 3 hours. I am thinking a miniature would be considerably less.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well we went to meet some standard puppies yesterday. They were absolutely gorgeous (although black, but I am leaning toward other colors now anyway ...) and I realized after talking with the breeder and her friend that we are not ready for the grooming a standard poodle would entail.

So I am thinking a miniature? I understand that a standard takes about 3 hours. I am thinking a miniature would be considerably less.
I think any poodle is a serious grooming commitment, but I think there's a lot of flexibility. Plenty of people keep poodles but don't want to spend a ton of time grooming, so they keep them in simple short cuts that are easy to touch up. Certainly keeping one in poofy stylized perfection is going to be a lot of hours, but I think an easy trim on a poodle that is used to being groomed is more like an hour every four to six weeks. Sanitary trims need to be done more often, probably every two weeks, but these shouldn't take long. I'm not sure if the size of poodle really affects time that much. I think in some ways the smaller dogs are harder because they're more lively and their feet and legs are smaller and harder to maneuver around. I have a mini puppy and while I'm grooming him I often fantasize about how much easier it would be if he was a standard puppy with bigger feet. I'm sure more people with standards will chime in.

I think with puppies grooming is a big hurdle because they need to be taught how to behave and need to be conditioned to not mind it. So everything takes a lot of work at first.

In comparing poodles to other breeds, I feel like most breeds will have issues with hair. Either they're shedding or they're growing it.

One note, I did underestimate the up front costs for at home grooming. Even the basic supplies are pretty expensive, though you do save money over time. But just be prepared to drop a lot of money at first.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I have a mini and she usually takes 3 hours for a full groom - she has very, very thick, fast growing hair. I see quite a few poodles and most of them don't have such thick fur so I do think I spend more time drying and clipping my dog than some others do.

Of course you can always send your dog to a groomer every 4-6 weeks and keep your puppy in a short clip so there minimal combing and brushing on your part.

Keep in mind that poodles don't shed. You won't have to vacuum up dog hair everywhere, nor will you be removing it from your clothes and furniture. People often forget the amount of time and effort it takes removing dog fur that has shed off dogs. With poodles, that time is spent grooming since they don't shed.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I take my boy to a groomer. Takes an hour and half, he is a standard. I Keep him in a simple cut. I think all poodles require a lot more grooming than some other breeds but well worth the work.

IMG_1545.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts