Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it is warming a bit, but this must be the coldest winter I have ever endured!
Hi everyone! I have come to enjoy reading this forum and decided to join. I currently own two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, but my eldest is 10 and I am researching breeds while deciding which one I will settle on for my next companion. I love the RR, but they do not love winter, and I do not love the shedding. My male is 6 this fall, and loves all other dogs, so I would like to find him a playmate and me a new housedog. [That's his portrait in my Avatar].

So, a non-shedding, lighter weight not too small breed means a standard poodle, I think. I do like them, used to groom for a living years ago so would be able to pick that back up for my own dog. I enjoy training, want a dog that plays well with others and likes to join me for long walks.

I would love to find a young adult female who needs a home, but will raise another pup if that is the best option open to me. I would like an adult to know the eventual size for sure--I do not want a 26" standard--would prefer something 20" or even shorter. At 50 yrs of age, I require a dog of a somewhat portable size. A "moyen" I think is what the mid-size poodle that is too small for the spoo people and too large to be a miniature. I am looking for a "moyen" in that case. Over 15" and under 22" or so would be perfect!

Might be a couple of years before I find her. In the meantime, am planning on visiting breeders and going to shows. A poodle booster coming up the end of the month not far from me I want to attend. So, I would appreciate any info you can give me regarding the poodle population in Alberta, as well as poodles in general from everywhere!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes! Thanks for the PMs as well. I do enjoy various breed forums, they all have their own flavor. This is the first forum that I am a member of that is about a breed I have not owned as of yet . I have groomed many poodles back in the 80's when I made my living that way, but always had other breeds due to my ex's anti-poodleness. Notice I said ex.:lol: He would have thought me insane to commission a painting of my dog, too. Glad my OH of the last 11 yrs thought it a good idea!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome. I found that the search is almost as exciting as bringing your new friend home. Enjoy!

And, It has been a very long winter down here in Vermont too. Started early, no January thaw and is just starting to melt off. Oh, spring! I can smell it in the air. Mud season is here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome DoubleRR :)

I love Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are wonderful dogs.
Usually Standard Poodle female would be somewhere in 20 - 21".
My female is 21.5 and considered a "tall girl" :) When you talk to breeders, they will be able to tell you average size of their Poodles. There are few good breeders in Alberta.
I am owned by two Standards: Uno, cream boy of 2y 10m, and Sassy, black girl of 17mo.
and I am Olga :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
This breeder does early spay/neuter!!!
Read more on this issue. It is recommended to do it much later. They need their hormons for proper skeletal development.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts