Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i know someone from here (hi Cbrand)

fter hmmm'ing hawwing, looking but not being able to make happen for standard (i have aussies) i came home with a rescue boy tuesday night.

Bernard (Formally 'buddy') is a white standard poodle. He was advertised as 'free must be gone by xmas" and "we no longer need him for breeding great pet or breeding dog!" i guess he has been advertised before on kijiji (canadian version of craigslist) for some money but apparently no one took him. my "uh oh dog in trouble' radar went off- and i called. I do a lot of work wtih our local rescue here. After i finally got ahold of the 'owners' i learned
1- yes he was still intct they 'think' he's 2.5
2- they bred labradoodles with him
3- who ever shows up first gets him. . . no no need to talk about what you want to do with him.

SO off i went- trucking me and my two kids throuhg a blizzard, past accidents to get there first. So we met the boy- grabbed him got a bill of 'sale' (50 cents woohoo) and homeward bound we went. I figured no matter what i'd get him into the rescue and get him neutored and a good home.... well of course we all know i'm full of it- he's looking like he's here to stay *L* Got home grabbed the scissors and started chopping away so we could find his eyes- found the HUGE pebbles of 'eye goobers'

He's got a crooked nose! it's put on off to the side- completely doesn't line up- you can wiggle it back to center- but it moves righton bck to the right. No paralysis on the face though. He's got a VERY bad underbite- bu thankfully teeth seem to be in good shape- vet isn't too worried. He's had his shots done (because "the wife would know" was the answer to every single question on him!) He's slotted to get groomed on the fourth (my friend a groomer offered to come in on her holidays to do him- but he's not matted up- just stinky) and he's booked for the big snip snip on the 8th.

I can't wait to see him cleaned up and a resisting the urge to go take the clippers to him myself *L* but poodle trims are a whole different ball gae from aussie grooming!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition :D
AND thats a wonderful Christmas present to your new addition I'm sure he's VERY happy to be out of his previous situation ^_^

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hes seeing to quite enjoy this living inside portion hes gotten. He is in love with our cats- and just sits nd stares at the. for hours- and hours and hours. Poor cats that akes four dogs in love with cats

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Thank you, neVar for getting Bernie out of that situation... I have been known to do the same thing from time to time - Last February, my daughter and I drove up to Rugby, ND in a snowstorm to pick up a "free - first come, first served" miniature dachshund who had been bred by the owner's male mini dachsie and they "suspected" she was probably pregnant. I must have the same "uh oh dog in trouble radar", because the first thing I thought of was that someone would take her, try to make a profit from her purebred babies and then just go do it again!!

Stevie's 5 babies were born on the day after St. Patrick's day this year and I raised them for 8 weeks - then the local rescue I foster for placed all of the babies in new homes with spay/neuter contracts and about 6 weeks later Stevie was spayed and placed with one of the people who took one of her babies!! I love "happy ever after" stories - especially if I can help with the happy ending!!

I just want to give Bernie a kiss on the end of his beautiful crooked nose! Do you think he may have been injured in some way at his previous owners' home? It definitely gives him character!

Many blessings with your new boy!!

ps. your user name reminds me of the movie Ladyhawke... LOVED that movie!! :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOl i hve actually never seen the movie ladyhawk- how bd is that *L* its my maiden nae backwards (give e a few months and it will be the lst name agin *L*)

This will be y second failure s a foster parent *L* though relly i went thinking hed sty- so far it looks like he will- depends bit on blood tests- i have an intact female in the house- so if blood tests come back positive it may chnge his outcome in the house. SO i guess monday it will be official (thouhg i put the chip in y nae not the rescues and i pid the bill *L* so guess which way i leaning )

Our theory on the nose is that he got injured- nd i guessing- by a horse. they had some on the property but arent horse people themselves We dont think he was born like tht s the jaw is stright- its just the nose itself that is off to the side- and its loose... you can ove it ll the way over to the other side to the iddle etc but it moves back slowly to the right every time its weird. it left the vet sorta speachless for a bit when i pointed it out she was like "wow ummmmmm.... wow i just ..... wow.... its like ...... ummwow"

He won the vets office over- he just laid down and chilled out- awesome personality

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hey you! I'm glad you found your way over here. I haven't been over to UDBB in months because I've been dealing with an over-load of personal stuff.

I'm so glad you rescued this boy. I know you have been eying Standards for a while and it looks like the perfect boy fell into your lap. Shame on those people for dumping this poor dog.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What a great thing you did taking this boy into your home. It seems like he broke the nose doesn't it? Like with humans you can break the nose and it never sets the same again unless you seek out a doctor to set it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thankfully you don't notice the nose right way.

Yes Cbrand great dog- personality wise i could NOT sk for anything better- he puts up with jackson who is quite a bully (work in progress- rescued him this summer 20 minutes before he was scheduled to be put down)

although i'm not 100% we'll keep him until blood tests come back but no matter wht if he doesn't sty with us- he will be put into good home with the rescue i work with- which means i'll always have tabs on him.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
What sort of blood tests are you waiting on neVar??

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brucellosis (i'm sure i spelled that wrong) I hve an intact female (my aussie) who is to be my show dog- and possibly bred. The poor tretment of Brucellosis- hving the risk of it transmitting to my female in the house- i'm not sure i'd risk it ....

so fingers crossed he's negtive!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update! He's brucellosis negative- so that's one big hurdle covered. Now to just get my Jackson to stop being a pill to him.

One week and he goes to get trimmed up- can't wait!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi littlestitches and welcome to the forum. Good for you for rescuing that little sweety and I am happy that his blood work was good. Looking forward to seeing the groomed pictures.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new furry family member. Great job for rescuing him. My apricot spoo Sport came to us from the same type of circumstances and he is s wonderful and sweet dog. Keep us posted on how it all goes and do post some pics after he gets groomed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Glad to have another wonderful spoo fan & rescurer here! Bernie looks like a total sweethart and I am sure he is so happy to be with you! Can't wait to see more pics!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cuz i'm just way to in love with this guy- here's his updated 'groomed' pic. . . though i think the ears are gunna go.... just gotta get brave enough to do it- my friend left them (ran out of time- and he had some scabs on them so she wasn't anxious to clip them with the scabs there)

now that he's clean he gets to hang out on the back of the couch *L* he thinks he's a cat (as does the 30 lb aussie ) the couch doesn't agree- but he looked so comfy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
He looks so cute. Like he is smiling. Its funny when they lay on the back of the couch my spoo Jenny does that too. We tell her that she is a cat in dog's clothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts