Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to poodles, I grew up with small dogs. We adopted a 14 month old standard poodle this past Tuesday as a rescue / family dog. I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of me here with questions!

More info about me... I am a stay at home homeschooling mother of two teenagers, and we also have 2 nebelungs cats and 2 crested geckos. I live in the middle of Alaska.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Welcome! Thank you for rescuing your Spoo. Now that you’ve done your introduction, you can post questions and pictures too.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How great you rescued a st poo! I have my 1st poodle though I am a long time dog person. LOL Definitely a experience and one I wish I had done years earlier. We love pictures and I'd love to see pictures and learn about Alaska too. I am fascinated.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! TY for rescuing a Spoo and please let us answer any and all questions you may have about your new family member. Just remember to post pics and share the life of a poodle living in Alaska (BRRRRR!) BTW....what is a nebelungs cat?:hmmmm2:

Reactions: meljen

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Hi and welcome. I had to look up what a nebelungs cat was - gorgeous cats.

Thanks for rescuing a spoo - they make the most wonderful family pets.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry they're just called Nebelung, it was a typo! But yes Nebelungs are much more interactive and people oriented than an average cat. They can even play fetch when they're in the mood, which is what our older boy does. And both of ours are purely indoors.

Here's our spoo. We named him Leeroy... We wanted to change his name so he'd have a fresh start. He's pure black and a spunk ball of love. The red in the photo is from the bright sun on the red sleeping bag under him.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I know I'll need help with him in the winter months here so we can keep him happy, and also with his interactions with the cats .. but I'll be sure to chat in the appropriate places for that!

To anyone interested I live in the Fairbanks area in Alaska so you can look it up and see what it looks like. Lots of wildlife (we get moose strolling down our street mid Winter, it's quite a sight) and Birch trees. There's also a nearby bird sanctuary made from an old dairy farm.. lots of trails in the back that Leeroy loves to walk on!

We're working on helping him with his confidence though. Voice commands and bonding walks down the same streets so he can become familiar with everything. He really enjoys praise and lots of cuddles. And his toys, haha.

And as much as he submissive peed at first every morning, I am excited to say that he didn't this morning! Not one drop! That's a huge deal. And he showed affection to our neighbor that he's met twice. He's normally afraid of men.

Again thank you for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
It sounds as if he is already blossoming in your care - I look forward to hearing about his progress.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds as if he is already blossoming in your care - I look forward to hearing about his progress.
Thank you! He didn't submissive pee again today... Though I think he did wet himself during a dream. It was an intense one, and then he suddenly woke and started licking himself and his leg... He was laying in a big wet spot on his pillow. He pouted so I took him out to go potty and wiped down his leg. I also washed the pillows. Poor baby.

He also vomited a little and cowered like he thought I was going to going to hit him. I didn't of course.. I calmly cleaned it like nothing happened and he perked up and wagged his tail. On top of that, every time I got up from my chair today, he'd get up and follow me with his ears raised like 'Where are you going? What are you doing?' it was literally like having a toddler following me around. He even intently watched me do the dishes. Lol. I think he definitely sees me as the mom.

He's still going soft poo. But I can't imagine what he's going through on a mental or emotional level. Poor guy. He goes nuts when one of us leaves and comes home. You can tell he's worried he'll be abandoned.

He's more and more interactive every day, and so lovey. He loves to press up against us for petting and snuggles. It's also obvious that he still thinks he's a small puppy lol.

We love our shaggy snuggle boy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts