Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I don't have a poodle, but I am considering one, down the line. I just need to learn about the different temperaments, energy levels, and level of care necessary for each size.

The standard says they are all the same dog, just in different sizes, but I keep reading that in reality they are different dogs (especially in temperament and energy levels), depending on size. . .

Thanks for letting me be here to learn from you all!
Tonie

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Welcome to PF. You will find tons of helpful information here to guide your research. I have standards, but my mom has a mini. Their personalities are different, but I think that is at least as much about our households and interactions with them as innate differences. All three of them are great dogs.

Reactions: TFWelch

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there, I’m new to this site. I have 2 standard Poodles and interested learning from everyone one. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Christine01 welcome to PF and thanks for your pics of your spoos, but as an FYI most people start their own intro thread. If you decide to reintroduce yourself that way tell us more about those pretty dogs of yours.

Hi there, I’m new to this site. I have 2 standard Poodles and interested learning from everyone one. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Welcome to PF! All of the sizes have incredible intelligence and athleticism and they all need to be groomed professionally or by the owner. Most breeders do some type of temperament testing, like the Volhard Test. Google the test and see which scores work best for your lifestyle and goals with your poodle. Each size has specific health testing recommendations by the Poodle Club of America. It really depends on whether you want small, medium of large dog.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I have a minipoo and boy can she run when we’re in the agility ring, but at home she’s a couch potato. She has an off switch at home. If the weather is miserable or I can’t walk, she’s happy with little activity. She’s also a great hiking companion.

I love that she only takes on car seat in the car so there’s room for others in my backseat. There’s also sometimes restrictions on hotels and rental apartments asked on size or weight. Minipoos are small enough to be accepted but standards may not. I can easily pick up my minipoo at 16 pounds, not sure I could lift a larger spoo.

I had a tpoo years ago. Because of the size difference they don’t take as long to groom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts