Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Long time lurker, first-time poster.

Long story short, we've had to cancel our wedding. As a consolation, we're moving up our dog-searching plans by a couple of months! We've been talking about getting a dog for the majority of our relationship and are so excited to finally take the steps towards getting a standard poodle pup.

I've been having fun researching the breed and breeders (everyone that I've spoken with has been so kind and patient with my 2945739347 questions!). We're narrowing our search down to a fantastic breeder who has both older pups (6-months-old) and an incoming litter. Our decision right now is between one of the older pups and one from the new litter (when they arrive). We'd be more than happy with either but was hoping to see if we might get some experienced folks' input on what additional questions we should be asking ourselves when choosing between a (slightly) older puppy versus a younger puppy. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
They can both be great. With an older pup they've already been through the teething puppy stage. If the breeder has put a good foundation of training and socialization into them, they can be perfect. I would ask the history of the dogs to find out what their reasons for being held back were. Sometimes they can be good, other times not so good. And ask what sort of interaction and socialization they've had, and what their individual temperaments are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They can both be great. With an older pup they've already been through the teething puppy stage. If the breeder has put a good foundation of training and socialization into them, they can be perfect. I would ask the history of the dogs to find out what their reasons for being held back were. Sometimes they can be good, other times not so good. And ask what sort of interaction and socialization they've had, and what their individual temperaments are.
That makes sense. We'll definitely keep these in mind - Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Welcome - sorry that the wedding plans are on hold but a great opportunity for a pup. The landshark phase is trying with those needle puppy teeth and if the older pup has had sufficient training and socialization I wouldn't rule it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome - sorry that the wedding plans are on hold but a great opportunity for a pup. The landshark phase is trying with those needle puppy teeth and if the older pup has had sufficient training and socialization I wouldn't rule it out.
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello!! May I ask what breeder you've chosen? I'm in a similar situation where I've decided to move my puppy timeline to now rather than later since I'll be teleworking for the foreseeable future! Unfortunately a lot of breeders are either do not have puppies available or i would not be able to take a puppy home until July, and I fear I will be back at work by then.
Thank you and good luck to your new fur baby!

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
My breeder in Texas had a 6 month old “show fail” female that was snapped up by a family in Austin. She was housebroken, socialized, obviously used to grooming and moved seamlessly into their house. She just didn’t enjoy the show ring. If you find a good breeder and they have a wait list, don’t be discouraged. People drop out all the time. I always had better luck calling and almost every breeder gave me referrals if they weren’t expecting litters. They all know each other or of each other. Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello!! May I ask what breeder you've chosen? I'm in a similar situation where I've decided to move my puppy timeline to now rather than later since I'll be teleworking for the foreseeable future! Unfortunately a lot of breeders are either do not have puppies available or i would not be able to take a puppy home until July, and I fear I will be back at work by then.
Thank you and good luck to your new fur baby!
Sorry, I saw this late! We ended up going with the 6-month-old. =) I'll PM you the breeder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My breeder in Texas had a 6 month old “show fail” female that was snapped up by a family in Austin. She was housebroken, socialized, obviously used to grooming and moved seamlessly into their house. She just didn’t enjoy the show ring. If you find a good breeder and they have a wait list, don’t be discouraged. People drop out all the time. I always had better luck calling and almost every breeder gave me referrals if they weren’t expecting litters. They all know each other or of each other. Best wishes on your search.
Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts