Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM NEW HERE I GOT A TINY TOY POODLE WHO WILL BE 2 YRS OLD ON JAN. 14TH OF 2010 I WANT TO STUD HIM OUT HE'S AKC REGISTERED AND HE WEIGHTS 4.5LBS HE'S DEFINATELY READY TO BREED LOL WE LIVE IN SHREVEPORT LOUISIANNA AREA HIS STUD FEE AINT DECIDED BUT WILL BE REASONABLE SO IF INTERESTED EMAIL ME AND I CAN SEND MORE PICS. :love:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hello. Welcome to this forum.

Toy Poodles typically need to be tested for the following before they are bred:
Optigen
Patellas
Legg-Calve Perthes

The Optigen testing is most important. If your boy carries a recessive gene for prcd-PRA and he is bred to a bitch with the same recessive gene, then you could expect that 50% of your puppies will end up with two copies of the gene and thus "affected". Affected puppies always go blind, usually starting around age 5.

People interested in using your stud will want to know how tall he is. This measurement is taken on top of the shoulder blades. It is best to get a level, ruler and someone to help you. Put the level on his shoulders and the ruler up to it so that you get a very accurate measurement. In Toys, every 1/4 inch counts.

People are also going to want to see a pedigree and to make sure that you have a dog with Full AKC registration. If your dog was sold to you with Limited Registration then his puppies can not be registered with AKC.

Finally, be warned that once you start breeding your boy, your cute little pet may disappear. Once the boys start breeding it is very common for them to start lifting their leg in the house (marking) and they also seem to want to hump every fluffy dog they see. Sometimes they will even try to mount pillows and stuffed animals in the house. :scared:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome.

There is a lot more involved than you thought huh? :)Maybe it's a work in progress. :)I had NO idea until I got involved in this forum. (I am far from interested in that - I leave that up to the pros lol!! There are a lot of very knowledgable/educated breeders here as well as a breeder section you can post and ask questions. To stud to a reputable breeder you will need all this information. Good luck!! And you have a really cute dog!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Greetings! I'm fairly new to poodles, too! We just welcomed our first standard poodle puppy into our home a little over a month ago. I'm learning SOOOO much from this forum! Charlie, you used a term that confused me a little bit... I know there are three varieties of poodle; toy, miniature, and standard... I've heard of people advertising "teacup" (smaller than average toys) or "royal" (larger than average standards) and what I've learned here is there are simply toy, mini or standard - I don't think I've ever heard "tiny toy"... is that sort of like a "teacup" (which isn't strictly an AKC recognized size)?

If you hang out here long enough, you'll learn very, very good stuff!! We'd like more pictures, too - if you have them!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts