Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you so much for accepting my request. Iam a very proud mom of my sm mixed poodle. My diva has some behavioural issues. While she tends to like children everybody else, especially men are off limits. That is until you've come over a few times. Her benefactor found her in a local park at approximately 12wks old. I followed her and asked every day if anyone had claimed her. Nobody did. So after 14days she became mine. I named her AiyannaRose. She was so terrified of everything and everyone. She's now 2yrs. And goes ballistic with the mailman. And about half at people just knocking on the door. I have never abused her. I use a water bottle. Any kind of tips on how to socialize her would be so appreciated. My mobility is limited and unfortunately I cannot walk her as far or as much as I'd like to. Note: there are 2 small animal killer pitbulls nextdoor that have me far to frightened to even take her into our backyard. Thank you! Please Help Me!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
google the place command and teach it to her. You can keep her mind occupied training her indoors, sit, stay lie down etc. Also get some puzzle toys and maybe a kong. Maybe start there. You can also leash her when its time for the mailman to come and correct her behavior with a slight sidewards tug saying no.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Please stop punishing your dog with the water bottle for telling you she is worried about things.

Since you know nothing about her background I would find either a good class at an AKC sanctioned obedience club or and APDT (Association of Professional Dog Trainers) trainer who is also CPDT-KA (Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed) certified to help you find positive based methods for working with your fearful little one.

Here are links to help you find a club or trainer in your locale.

https://webapps.akc.org/obedience-training-club/#/

https://apps.apdt.com/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?webcode=TrainerSearch

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apologize if anyone feels iam punishing my dog. I do not spray her that often. She's happy at being bathed at the groomers. Her weekly spa day. Being on disability, any professional trainers is no where close to me being able to afford this. Since she is mostly indoors, due to killer dogs nextdoor, iam absolutely terrified to take her in our backyard. Just last week, one had almost got thru to attack us. Iam hoping to move in 2mos a much nicer neighborhood and she can spend all the time she wants outdoors. Iam just asking for tips on training her. I dont spray her when she tries to bite. I know she's fearful. I'm just feeling it's turning into aggression lately

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Being indoors most times and not being able to get around easily makes it a bit more difficult or you but you can do it. Put her collar and leash on indoors and start with her training exercises. If you can't walk well, start with a sit. You will also be able to correct unwanted behavior easier when you have her on a leash near you. I hope you get to find a more suitable place where you don't have those dogs net to you. It makes you fearful and that fear I'm sure goes to your pup too. There are many training videos on utube. google jeff gellman, many names will pop up and watch more than one trainer, it will help you get a good understanding and then you can decide on whose methods are best for you and your dog.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I think a fearful dog still needs to be controlled, a a squirt of water does not really hurt her, it surprises them, with my girls I say flyswatter, and that does it. I think I have tapped them on the butt Bella once, Sage once, and Cayenne 2 or 3 times. They go ballistic when company arrives, I say no bark, if it does not stop, I say flyswatter, and everyone settles down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your responses. I love my little girl with all my heart. And wouldn't hurt her for the world. I couldn't understand why she was all of the sudden trying to bite people she used to like... My father suggested that maybe the ppl she no longer likes tried to hurt her, or scared her...I will be looking into all the tips that were posted. Again, thank you for all your comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts