Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a puppy companion and decided on poodles because the whole family loves our friend's calm, sweet standard!

I started looking for poodles, got sidetracked briefly with doodles that seemed to be more easily available (I am new to dogs and didn't understand the unpredictability of doodles and the proliferation of BYBs) but after lots of research on Poodle Forum, decided to look for poodles that are from responsible breeders and raised and socialized with care.

Right now am thinking:
  • Small standard/moyen, maybe a large mini
  • Blue, brown, cream, apricot
  • Sweet and affectionate temperament, on the calmer side

Lots more to learn and eager to become a poodle mom!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've been looking for a puppy companion and decided on poodles because the whole family loves our friend's calm, sweet standard!

I started looking for poodles, got sidetracked briefly with doodles that seemed to be more easily available (I know! I am new to dogs and didn't understand the unpredictability of doodles and the proliferation of BYBs) but after lots of research on Poodle Forum, decided to look for poodles that are from responsible breeders and raised and socialized with care.

Right now am thinking:
  • Small standard/moyen, maybe a large mini
  • Blue, brown, cream, apricot
  • Sweet and affectionate temperament, on the calmer side

Lots more to learn and eager to become a poodle mom!
Let us know what state you live in so we can connect you with reputable sources.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I really like karbit's moyen poodles ! Home

Reactions: BlueOdyssey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johanna, thank you! I'm in Northern California.

Ava, likewise! I reached out to Karbit a couple of days ago but no word yet... I think they moved to Texas and am worried they are affected by the weather and power outages.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hope they are ok. Breeders sometimes take a bit to reply.

I am also looking for a 16"-20" poodle, or a oversized mini. Karbit is the best I've found. Although, I have recommendations for standards that might be a bit tall

·
Registered
506 Posts
pretty sure karbit's kleins/moyens are really drivey though. Maybe not suited as strictly a pet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
When you click "kleinpudel" it says

"Our Kleinpudels are tremendous athletes, with sound people-orientated
temperaments. Perfect sporting dogs and loving family companions. They range
in size from 14 - 18 inches."

I'm sensing that they are sport bred dogs.

Noir seems like a decent breeder. Health testing, some of their dogs have their CGC..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you love your friend’s poodle, have you tried reaching out to their breeder?
Hi Peggy,

My friend's poodle is 9 years old and was bought through a trainer who's not active any more.

According to my friend, the trainer chose puppies from breeders and trained them on basic obedience before selling them on. Her dog was 6 months old when he came home. Hadn't heard of that before!

·
Super Moderator
7,922 Posts
When you click "kleinpudel" it says

"Our Kleinpudels are tremendous athletes, with sound people-orientated
temperaments. Perfect sporting dogs and loving family companions. They range
in size from 14 - 18 inches."

I'm sensing that they are sport bred dogs.

Noir seems like a decent breeder. Health testing, some of their dogs have their CGC..
That is really just a description of poodles in general. Poodles are tremendous athletes. I’ve not seen anything indicating that Karbit breeds specifically for high drive. Have you?

From their website:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I assumed they where claiming their poodles to be good in sports, but I may of just read it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,922 Posts
Hi Peggy,

My friend's poodle is 9 years old and was bought through a trainer who's not active any more.

According to my friend, the trainer chose puppies from breeders and trained them on basic obedience before selling them on. Her dog was 6 months old when he came home. Hadn't heard of that before!
Oh wow. So your friend missed out on a lot of the fun. Or should I say “fun.” Lol. Spoo puppies can be a real challenge. :) Do you know anything about his pedigree?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peggy, unfortunately I don't know about his pedigree, and yes, my friend missed the "puppy-est" moments! She luckily wound up with a sweet-tempered dog. I remember the kids putting Halloween costumes on him and he would stand there with a look on his face like "OK, fine, I guess I'll wear butterfly wings tonight":LOL:

·
Super Moderator
7,922 Posts
Peggy, unfortunately I don't know about his pedigree, and yes, my friend missed the "puppy-est" moments! She luckily wound up with a sweet-tempered dog. I remember the kids putting Halloween costumes on him and he would stand there with a look on his face like "OK, fine, I guess I'll wear butterfly wings tonight":LOL:
Lol. He sounds like a very tolerant boy!

Not sure if you’ve already started working through this list, but it’s definitely a good place to start: 🐩 Breeders Listed by Location 🐩 Plus Additional Resources 🐩

It sounds like what you’ll be wanting to look for is an “easy keeper” — a real middle-of-the-road, not too shy, not too bold, easygoing poodle. This is something to discuss with any potential breeders, just so you don’t inadvertently end up with too much dog for your skillset and family-oriented lifestyle.

I’d also recommend picking up a copy of this book now to start acquainting yourself with the puppy-selection, socialization, and training process:

Also available online for free:

I re-read my old dog-eared copy with every new puppy, but I’ve never needed to apply it quite so religiously as I did with my standard poodle puppy!

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
It might be worth checking out Noriko poodle. She breeds both minis and standards. I think she's also active in grooming and competition, so I'm sure she's seen a lot of poodles from other breeders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Peggy, thank you for the recommendations, I'm reading through the DogStarDaily guides and downloaded the Dr. Dunbar book!

That's a helpful description of the temperament we're looking for. Easy keeper, middle of the road!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Hoping that you will find the poodle for you. My standard (50 lb.) is a laid back except when is working. Not really an easy keeper as he is fussy about his food and thinks grooming is evil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts