Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have decided to rejoin this group, as I was a member previously before my little puppy who unfortunately passed on. Some of you may remember little Bow.

Since then I have relocated and stated researching getting a toy poodle back in my home country the UK. Long story short I thought I’d have to wait 6-12 months, but was lucky to go straight to the top of list and have had my little puppy just over a week now.

She is a little sweet heart, but I am struggling with a couple of things and wondered if anyone might be able to offer some advice.

She cries a lot when crated but this amount of time seems to fluctuate. For example sometimes it’s just a couple of mins at night and I think I’m making progress and then sometimes it’s 45 mins. She is crying right now as I speak, as I have just put her back in to bed following her during the night potty break.

I spoke to the breeeder who told me her sister is already sleeping through the night (9 weeks old). However the sister sleeps in the bed with the owner and my poppy is crated in my room.

It was suggested to potentially not go to her when she cries in the night to let her go back to sleep, however she didn’t stop and when I went to her she had an accident in her bed which has not happened before.

So my questions, how long and how can I stop her crying. She has everything in this crate, ticking heart beat teddy, cloth that smells like me, comfy mattress, I tried soothing wipes which did seem to help.

Also, when can I stop getting up in the night. At the moment it’s twice-three times a night. But tonight she isn’t settling again which means I’m awake most of the night.

I don’t want her to have accidents again, some nights she can hold it for 5/6 hours then tonight had an accident after just 3 hours. Also I’m back working now albeit from home and struggling with the lack of sleep.

Is it cruel to let her keep crying after she’s been out for the toilet.

I never had this issue with my other pup she would cry max 1-2 mins then sleep.

I take her out right before bed, But I don’t restrict her water in take she has a little rabbit bottle on the crate.

Many thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Before putting her to bed the first time, make sure she is tuckered out. When you are outside with her, after she potty/treat, pat your leg and get her to follow you around. Keep her moving. This helps her to finish relieving herself if she didn't. It also helps to tire her out. Once inside, let her settle down before crating her.

I would also put her crate next to your bed, if it isn't already. When she starts to cry, say something to her and she may go back to sleep. When you take her out again for potty, you shouldn't need to tire her out. Just potty and back inside. You might also stroke her ears. Look for Tellington Touch about this. If she is upset for some reason, the gently strokes (just a couple on each ear from the base to the tip) will help to calm her.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Hi again!

You and little Bow are frequently in my thoughts. I'm happy to hear that you've found Poppy.

Good info from Michigan Gal.

Tuckering should be followed by a stretch of quiet time. Exercise just before bedtime is too stimulating. Try a bit of mental exercise to wear her brain out. Take a few minutes to show her how to Settle. I know I've seen many references to that on PF but not finding a description just yet. If she learns to do that, she can be asked to do so in her crate also.

How old is she now? Especially when still quite young and adjusting to her new life, I wouldn't let her just cry it out. These early weeks together you're building trust and she needs to know you're there.

What size crate is she in? Is it small enough to put right by the bed so you can just reach down to her as well as speak to her? Do you cover it? It's going to be some weeks yet before she'll sleep longer stretches uninterrupted, so consider the preemptive waking her and getting her out before she wakes and cries for you. Set that alarm for about 15m earlier than her usual "I need to go" time than take her back to her crate.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Good to see you back on PF, and welcome to baby Poppy. I just took my pups to bed with me - very few "accidents" as I woke at the first wriggle, and we all slept a lot better! They got successfully crate trained through using a crate in the car.

This article helps explain why puppies find the transition to human rules so hard: Kidnapped From Planet Dog - Whole Dog Journal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just want to write to say thank you! What a difference a few nights made! She goes straight into her crate now and doesn’t cry, when I return her after her potty break she doesn’t cry and I left her for the first time properly today to go to the shop and she only whimpered a little.

This group is always so good, and so helpful.

but what I really like is that you never really say the techniques that don’t feel right. Like ignore it the cries. It’s too hard at that age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts