Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, my name is Eva and I found this great forum when I was searching the web for a breeder of chocolate miniature poodle. I spent many hours reading the posts and became very confident in your knowledge, the cute pictures of poodles were a cherry on top :smile:
I need your help, does anyone know a good breeder than either has puppies, or will in the near future in North East coast? I’m from New Jersey, but I’m willing to drive to meet the breeder or the puppies.

Thank you for your help and I'm looking forward to learn a lot from you.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Welcome Eva! I'm also on the hunt for a miniature poodle (from Toronto, Canada). I've found it a challenge, that's for sure.

I don't have a personal recommendation, as I don't actually have my pup yet! But one person I spoke to who seemed very knowledgeable about mini poodles is with this kennel. Leslie Newing is her name.
http://www.randomwindpoodles.com/Random_Wind_Poodles/Home.html

She breeds both blacks and browns, and is also the local breeder referral person. So she'll know of any litters coming up in the area.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Cdnjennga, and good luck with finding your puppy :fingers-crossed:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You will have a great time with your poodle. You found a great place to get some wonderful information. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you BFF. I can't wait, but I'm reading and reading and learning :smile:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I believe Eriand Poodles in New York may be a quality breeder. She has breeding stock from Ash's Mystical in Las Vegas and I think she shows also. I would consider her after you do your own research. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help

Thank you guys. Today I went with my friend (a breeder - she breeds Belgian shepherds for 20 years) to look at the puppies. We love one puppy, but I don't know about the breeder, the place didn't impress me. Should I go with the feeling about the puppy or about the breeder?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thank you guys. Today I went with my friend (a breeder - she breeds Belgian shepherds for 20 years) to look at the puppies. We love one puppy, but I don't know about the breeder, the place didn't impress me. Should I go with the feeling about the puppy or about the breeder?
I would go with your feeling about the breeder. Let's face it, it's easy to fall in love with a puppy regardless of where they came from! What specifically did you question about this breeder?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would go with your feeling about the breeder. Let's face it, it's easy to fall in love with a puppy regardless of where they came from! What specifically did you question about this breeder?

:dito:

Its so easy to fall in love with puppies, but its best to go with what you feel is right in your heart. I say if you have any concerns about her breeding practices, don't use her.
Having your friend come along was a great idea, especially since she knows what to look for and what to avoid when looking at a breeder. What was it you was concerned about with this breeder??

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What was it you was concerned about with this breeder??
Hi, maybe it's just me. This is my first time getting a puppy and I was picturing a breeder having a dam with puppies at home, I will ask questions, she will ask questions, like I red even here, it's suppose to be like that. This breeder has so many dogs, she breeds standards, minis and toys, but she's breeding them for 35 years and also she is a president of NJ poodle club, so that should speak for it self, no? Just I felt kind of rushed into sale, she didn't ask us any question, my breeder friend asked her a lot of questions. The puppy is about 4 months old, she didn't remember the birthday and she has another litter 2 weeks old. Maybe she is just too busy. My breeder friend liked the puppy a lot, the posture, the personality and sad she would get the puppy, but it's up to me. I don't want to make mistake, so I wanted to hear another opinion. I hope I make sense.Thank you.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hi, maybe it's just me. This is my first time getting a puppy and I was picturing a breeder having a dam with puppies at home, I will ask questions, she will ask questions, like I red even here, it's suppose to be like that. This breeder has so many dogs, she breeds standards, minis and toys, but she's breeding them for 35 years and also she is a president of NJ poodle club, so that should speak for it self, no? Just I felt kind of rushed into sale, she didn't ask us any question, my breeder friend asked her a lot of questions. The puppy is about 4 months old, she didn't remember the birthday and she has another litter 2 weeks old. Maybe she is just too busy. My breeder friend liked the puppy a lot, the posture, the personality and sad she would get the puppy, but it's up to me. I don't want to make mistake, so I wanted to hear another opinion. I hope I make sense.Thank you.
That sounds almost exactly like a breeder I visited... Right down to the (former) president of a breed club. In the end I decided the fit wasn't right for me. I'm sure I could have got a wonderful pup, but there were a few things that just didn't fit with what I'm comfortable supporting.

I would be concerned about getting a pup that is 4 months old from someone who is too busy to do proper socialization etc. The first few months of a pups life are critical. If the pup hasn't been out hearing lots of noises, meeting lots of people, getting used to the car and all the other things that have to happen your work is going to be that much harder. That's not to say there's no hope for a puppy like the one you saw - but if you have questions about the breeder, who is too busy to even remember when the pup is born, then I personally would tread carefully.

I also personally don't like it when the breeder doesn't question me thoroughly. Are they not concerned about where their pup is going? It just suggests less interest in the pup than there could be. And if that interest is not there, then what exactly am I paying large amounts of money for?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also personally don't like it when the breeder doesn't question me thoroughly. Are they not concerned about where their pup is going? It just suggests less interest in the pup than there could be. And if that interest is not there, then what exactly am I paying large amounts of money for?
I totally agree :smile:

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are so many breeders and many are quality. I think you should find a breeder you are comfortable with and check OFA testing, references, pedigrees, etc. if you are paying top price. You need to feel comfortable with the breeder. Some just have a few dogs and can give them more individual attention. It does make a difference. Never rush into buying any dog as you will have the dog for many years (hopefully). It is a huge committment of money, time, and energy. (And emotion!)

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all to help me to make a "difficult" decision. It's not easy to let go of something so cute, but a mind has to win. After sleepless night I realize I can't make my decision based on emotions. So I'm back to do more research, but that's OK. Like Mandi sad, there are so many breeders and many are quality :smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts