Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are looking to bring a puppy into our family. We have been doing research on all the colors and things to look for. We found one that we love but are having a hard time finding information about its color, coat, eyes, nose, etc. Can anyone help me with any information? Thanks you guys, I look forward to talking with some of you.

Regards,
Mr.B

·
Premium Member
22,433 Posts
Cute puppy that will possibly clear to white or a very light cream. I hope you have read this thread. Buying a puppy safely - the basics It is really comprehensive as to how to find a great pup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lily,

Thank you. That is actually the first thing I read when I joined. It is very helpful.

Regards,
Mr.B

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

How does the breeder describe her current color or what she's likely to change to? Have you seen the parents? If there are litter mates, what are their colors? Is she listed as a parti?

If you haven't also looked at this forum, check out Poodle Rainbow
Poodle Rainbow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rose,

The Breeder described her as a Parti. Here is a picture of some of the other pups. I have seen the parents, they are both parti. One is brown and white and the other is gray and white.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome! Your girl's littermates look an awful lot like a doodle I know. Do they have some bearded collie or border collie in them? Or maybe some sheepdog?

Maybe it's just the cute puppy fluff. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi, and welcome! Those puppy are really cute!😍 May I ask who's the breeder? She looks like a cream and white parti with a liver nose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fenris,
Is this a normal combo or something I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fenris,
Is this a normal combo or something I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know🙁. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I don't have much experience. I know creams can have liver noses and it that whites can have it too. Do one of her parents have a liver nose?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hi again,

Totally forgot to ask what size she is!

Genetics of poodle colors is a really interesting study, but not one I've got a lot of committed into my memory banks.
This is when I find links to info and share them :). I refer to this site for some poodle info:

Something I had not thought about til I saw your other thread is what color should the points of a multi color poodle be? Since they're not admitted to the AKC conformation ring, there's no breed standard set by the AKC. I wonder if it would ever be possible to define a breed standard for the various color combos like solid colors. Do they just line up with the dominant color or ???

Here's the AKC breed standards for color:

Color: The coat is an even and solid color at the skin. In blues, grays, silvers, browns, cafe-au-laits, apricots and creams the coat may show varying shades of the same color. This is frequently present in the somewhat darker feathering of the ears and in the tipping of the ruff. While clear colors are definitely preferred, such natural variation in the shading of the coat is not to be considered a fault.
Brown and cafe-au-lait Poodles have liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, dark toenails and dark amber eyes.
Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes.
In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable.

Major fault: color of nose, lips and eye-rims incomplete, or of wrong color for color of dog.
Parti-colored dogs shall be disqualified. The coat of a parti-colored dog is not an even solid color at the skin but is of two or more colors.

For AKC and solid color poodles, there are required or preferred combinations of hair color and points. If specific color and specific points are not together, example white poodle must have black points, then it's considered a show fault, but it isn't necessarily a flaw otherwise.

Genetics of color
This is a link to an article that didn't make my head spin when I read thru it. A lot of how or why in the color genetics is still being learned.

Keep coming with the questions!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts