Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a while since I posted but I just wanted to show you all how much Puca has grown up! He’s a year and two months now. Training has been going well. He’s fully potty trained, walks relatively well on leash (he can lose himself in the excitement of being outside still), and knows lots of basic commands. We’re still working on recall. He comes when he wants to which did pose a problem this summer. I took him to do field research with me and he escaped the house a couple of times. It was nerve wracking because there were cougars, coyotes, javelina, and deer in the area. After a good 1-2 minute run he’d always come back but still. Over all we’re doing fine and I hope you all are too!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
Hi Puca pu! Look at Puca, all grown up! Nice photos, and great to have you back.

Here's something I do. You mentioned he got out of the a house to sneak in a good run near possible cougars, coyotes and javelina boars. Scary.

I live in a hi-rise with mile long hallways, and every once in awhile when I'm taking out the trash and fumbling with the door, Sachii will try to take advantage and bolt out for a quick race. This isn't a problem late at night when no one is around; then he and Bella can get a quick workout. I avoid this during the day to not surprise my neighbors.

So for recall, I keep a squeaky ball near the door, and he races back to me the second he hears it. Then I praise and toss it to him for fetch which he loves and I can slide on out the door. I don't know if this will work as a last ditch attempt on recall for Puca, it may be worth a try in an emergency. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Puca pu! Look at Puca, all grown up! Nice photos, and great to have you back.

Here's something I do. You mentioned he got out of the a house to sneak in a good run near possible cougars, coyotes and javelina boars. Scary.

I live in a hi-rise with mile long hallways, and every once in awhile when I'm taking out the trash and fumbling with the door, Sachii will try to take advantage and bolt out for a quick race. This isn't a problem late at night when no one is around; then he and Bella can get a quick workout. I avoid this during the day to not surprise my neighbors.

So for recall, I keep a squeaky ball near the door, and he races back to me the second he hears it. Then I praise and toss it to him for fetch which he loves and I can slide on out the door. I don't know if this will work as a last ditch attempt on recall for Puca, it may be worth a try in an emergency.
We’re back in the city now so I’m not sure when we’ll have the chance to try that technique since we live in a house. But if he didn’t get far I was able to get him to come back quickly with an open jar of peanut butter.

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
Puca Pu! It's been a minute, hasn't it? How are you?! Some changes this year with the new PF platform as you can see. Hope your moving went okay. Looks like change will be the theme for a lot of people in 2020.

Come jump in some conversations again and/or join another photo contest; I'll upload one this weekend.

Vita

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Puca Pu! It's been a minute, hasn't it? How are you?! Some changes this year with the new PF platform as you can see. Hope your moving went okay. Looks like change will be the theme for a lot of people in 2020.

Come jump in some conversations again and/or join another photo contest; I'll upload one this weekend.

Vita
Hey! Everything has been going pretty well for us. I love the new website layout!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts