Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, looking for resources to guide us in our journey to find and select a breeder for our new family member. We have had rescue Golden retrievers before, but due to allergies and young children (almost 5 and 8), we are now looking at a standard poodle puppy instead of a mixed bag rescue who could have any number of issues I think run counter to young child safety (I’ve volunteered in rescue—-I’ve seen it all). We live in the DC area and finding someone who breeds responsibly for health, temperament, and the breed is important to us. My oldest is autistic (usually pretty well-regulated) and while he had his heart set on another GR, he’s okay with a “smart” poodle who can “do anything” and has similar coloring to a GR (all apricot shades and reds seem to meet his approval for now!). While I’d rather we search without those limitations, if you are or love an autistic family member or friend, you may understand why this is important (took long enough to get away from GRs!). We aren’t in a hurry per se, but it took us a while to arrive at the place where all family members are ready/mature enough for a dog, so of course we’d rather not wait a year plus, but I know that many breeders are at least six months out. As we find breeders I may post here to see if anyone has experience with them. I’d rather not air transport our new baby for various reasons, and am limited in driving distance due to the pandemic/health issues, but we’ll do what’s necessary given the “puppy shortage” and circumstances (we may very well be out of the pandemic by the time a dog is available!). Thanks for any and all advice you can offer! It’s been interesting switching breeds and learning about poodles. I had a mini growing up, and she was a great dog (just too little for our current family!).

Happy to meet everyone!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Hi, and welcome! I found this breeder from an awesome list Rose-N-Poos made here on PF Red and Apricot Standard Poodles | Farleys D Standard Poodles

GOOD LUCK! I hope they are everything you are all looking for. I have Asperger's, so I can understand needing a dog or another pet in the home. I just lost my Poodle due to bad breeding, but my family and I will be getting another puppy next year.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good luck! thank you for doing research and understanding what you want in a dog. Can't wait to see photos of your new poodle!

Reactions: GoldieMom20

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Your son will be happy to know that it doesn't get much better than a standard poodle. Truly a "smart" dog who can "do anything." :)

I definitely hope you'll keep us posted on your journey! It sounds like you're taking a very responsible, realistic approach to finding the best companion for your family.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, and welcome! I found this breeder from an awesome list Rose-N-Poos made here on PF Red and Apricot Standard Poodles | Farleys D Standard Poodles

GOOD LUCK! I hope they are everything you are all looking for. I have Asperger's, so I can understand needing a dog or another pet in the home. I just lost my Poodle due to bad breeding, but my family and I will be getting another puppy next year.
Oh I’m so sorry about that. :( I hope the next one is better luck for you. We lost a Goldie to lymphoma, sadly common among GR’s. We’ll check out that breeder. I’ve seen them mentioned before.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My breeder Parkview Poodles located In Mississippi has a litter of 7 on the ground. It is a breeding of her Marie "MBISS GCHS Creole Voodoo Queen bred to GCH Farleys D ‘Anolani Santiago de Chile. You can find her on Facebook (Peggy Provost) or go to her web page. Most puppies are already reserved but she may still have 1 or 2 available . Also my dogs littermate "Hamilton"has been bred for puppies next year, with Angie Louter's "Diana". Also can be found on FB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My breeder Parkview Poodles located In Mississippi has a litter of 7 on the ground. It is a breeding of her Marie "MBISS GCHS Creole Voodoo Queen bred to GCH Farleys D ‘Anolani Santiago de Chile. You can find her on Facebook (Peggy Provost) or go to her web page. Most puppies are already reserved but she may still have 1 or 2 available . Also my dogs littermate "Hamilton"has been bred for puppies next year, with Angie Louter's "Diana". Also can be found on FB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my goodness, those Louter dogs are gorgeous! Remind me of our Goldens which were bred for field work. I’ve reached out to both, thanks so much!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum, looking for resources to guide us in our journey to find and select a breeder for our new family member. We have had rescue Golden retrievers before, but due to allergies and young children (almost 5 and 8), we are now looking at a standard poodle puppy instead of a mixed bag rescue who could have any number of issues I think run counter to young child safety (I’ve volunteered in rescue—-I’ve seen it all). We live in the DC area and finding someone who breeds responsibly for health, temperament, and the breed is important to us. My oldest is autistic (usually pretty well-regulated) and while he had his heart set on another GR, he’s okay with a “smart” poodle who can “do anything” and has similar coloring to a GR (all apricot shades and reds seem to meet his approval for now!). While I’d rather we search without those limitations, if you are or love an autistic family member or friend, you may understand why this is important (took long enough to get away from GRs!). We aren’t in a hurry per se, but it took us a while to arrive at the place where all family members are ready/mature enough for a dog, so of course we’d rather not wait a year plus, but I know that many breeders are at least six months out. As we find breeders I may post here to see if anyone has experience with them. I’d rather not air transport our new baby for various reasons, and am limited in driving distance due to the pandemic/health issues, but we’ll do what’s necessary given the “puppy shortage” and circumstances (we may very well be out of the pandemic by the time a dog is available!). Thanks for any and all advice you can offer! It’s been interesting switching breeds and learning about poodles. I had a mini growing up, and she was a great dog (just too little for our current family!).

Happy to meet everyone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunset standard Poodles on FB has some availbale from seattle wa area
Oh, man! Those are so sweet! I'm afraid a cross-country transport (we live in DC area, so 4-5 hours just flight time?) would be too much for a puppy. We at one point had plans to visit the area in 2020, actually, but COVID got in the way of those plans! I love the therapy lineage, though. :(

·
Registered
492 Posts
One of my rescue Boston terriers went to a family whose son is autistic. He was perfect for the Boston I had. She absolutely sparkled. Don't discount rescue, just be careful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
One of my rescue Boston terriers went to a family whose son is autistic. He was perfect for the Boston I had. She absolutely sparkled. Don't discount rescue, just be careful.
I agree there can be great rescues out there ( I had several!), but where we live the only pups available now are the ones with some pretty challenging issues. Also, rescues and very young children could be problematic.

ETA many rescues where we are don’t even adopt to families with children.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Sunset standard Poodles on FB has some availbale from seattle wa area
Hi!

I found the FB page and the link to the website. They mention the PawPrint genetic panel but I don't find any testing listed on OFA using Sunset Standard as the kennel name. I didn't see the registered names of the sires/dams to check that way either.

Do you know if they do they OFA/CHIC testing and publish results there?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Happy to meet everyone!
I wish you luck with finding your new family member! As someone who has gotten a puppy from a bad breeding situation, I just really caution you and advise you to follow the advice of the knowledgable people on this forum. Please make sure to look for a breeder that does health and temperament testing. They will match you with the best fit pup.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts